Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Spectacles

Dewhurst

Practically Family
I have recently been subjected to horrors. Horrors which no mortal should have to endure. I will explain.

For quite some time I have suspected my eyes are traitors of the devious kind. Haziness. Blurriness. Focusing problems. Is this what it has come to, I wonder? What treachery! Well, I had mine little eyes investigated and was informed I had a touch of distance blur. Not so bad, the bigger problem is an Astigmatism. Argh!

So, I needed to get glasses. Bummer. OK, let's do this, I thought. My wife almost ruined me. She forbade me from taking any hats with me when I chose frames. But honey-bunny, I cried, I have to take at least one, possibly five. I don't leave the house without a hat, so the glasses simply MUST work with them. Sometimes I don't even leave the bedroom without a scrappy cap every morning.

She almost convinced me, but her efforts were futile. So I took one strategically chosen hat with me when I chose frames. Oh, I also brought my wife, for to choose frames without her consent would be tantamount to smiling while jumping off a cliff you didn't even see coming.

Things turned out fine. The frames are great with flat caps and work with most of my fedoras. However, they look like crap with a couple straw hats. That's OK, I bought those hats when I didn't have glasses (which I got last week, May 12th) so it is no major deal.

Still, now I have an added layer of complexity to deal with when choosing hats. And I'm not a huge fan of this added layer yet.

Did anyone else need to get glasses years after they already started wearing and purchasing hats religiously? Does anyone else think they may need to have their eyes checked but are putting it off while purchasing more hats?!?!

Do your glasses exert as much influence over your hat purchases as I envision (nice!) mine exerting over my purchases in the future?

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Stoneface said:
Glasses are a tool and not a piece of fashion and as long as they are not totally out of place, who cares?

Some people (not me, but some people) would argue the same about a hat.

Glasses most definitely can be a fashion accessory, just as a hat can be.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Puzzicato said:
Wear contact lenses.
:arated: Though I don't wear contacts I do wear glasses every day. Been weaing them for a number of years now and never actually thought about how they look with a hat. In the end, I don't really care. Hat and glasses are utilitarian things. The former keep my head warm or fresh depending on season and the latter help me to see better. [huh] Do they need to look good? of course but not to the point of giving me stress.
Contacts are the perfect solution if you care a lot about pairing them with hats.
When I wear straw hats I'm usually outside in the sun so I wear them with sunglasses, prescription aviator sunglasses, that is and I look cool!:cool2: :p :p

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dewhurst said:
Do your glasses exert as much influence over your hat purchases as I envision (nice!) mine exerting over my purchases in the future?
No. Getting used to glasses, is just getting used to something else. I've had 'em since high school and long since stopped noticing them. One can think too much about the whole ensemble thing.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Dewhurst said:
I have recently been subjected to horrors. Horrors which no mortal should have to endure. I will explain.

For quite some time I have suspected my eyes are traitors of the devious kind. Haziness. Blurriness. Focusing problems. Is this what it has come to, I wonder? What treachery! Well, I had mine little eyes investigated and was informed I had a touch of distance blur. Not so bad, the bigger problem is an Astigmatism. Argh!

So, I needed to get glasses. Bummer. OK, let's do this, I thought. My wife almost ruined me. She forbade me from taking any hats with me when I chose frames. But honey-bunny, I cried, I have to take at least one, possibly five. I don't leave the house without a hat, so the glasses simply MUST work with them. Sometimes I don't even leave the bedroom without a scrappy cap every morning.

She almost convinced me, but her efforts were futile. So I took one strategically chosen hat with me when I chose frames. Oh, I also brought my wife, for to choose frames without her consent would be tantamount to smiling while jumping off a cliff you didn't even see coming.

Things turned out fine. The frames are great with flat caps and work with most of my fedoras. However, they look like crap with a couple straw hats. That's OK, I bought those hats when I didn't have glasses (which I got last week, May 12th) so it is no major deal.

Still, now I have an added layer of complexity to deal with when choosing hats. And I'm not a huge fan of this added layer yet.

Did anyone else need to get glasses years after they already started wearing and purchasing hats religiously? Does anyone else think they may need to have their eyes checked but are putting it off while purchasing more hats?!?!

You might find an answer, here!

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Just pick the glasses that look good on your face. If your glasses look good on you, and your hats look good on you, then your glasses and your hats will look good on you.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
5201.jpg

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

Well, I wear a hat all the time and I've worn glasses since I was in grade school. My particular style for glasses is, always has been, and always will be the 'Aviator' style. I never even think about how any particular hat will go with glasses. I don't think it matters with this particular style of glasses.

Now, I did have one set of oversize, square, stainless-steel frame, glasses that I used to wear. Those were my active-duty EMT/firefighting glasses. You know, the ones intended to provide greater eye protection from the sorts of things that might fly around, especially liquid substances. The styling had no effect on the types of hats I would wear most of the time when working like this. I'd either have no hat at all, or have a helmet on! :p

That brings me to the contact lens idea. I would never, ever, wear contact lenses. I saw far too many cases of bad things getting under contacts and causing eye issues that would not have occurred in the majority of those cases had the wearer opted for glasses and not contact lenses. Just food for thought.

later!

Stan

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Been wearing glasses most of my life and some have been cool, some less cool. Actually my ex once told me that if I got one more pair of gold rimmed glassed I'd never get <BLANK> again. What I will tell you is be careful of your Oakley's (yes they make prescription glasses too).

My Oakley's are uber-cool, but the long straight side pieces (the ear pieces don't curl down) will hit the back of your hat brim if you tip your hat back which in turn causes your glasses to go up off your nose. You have been warned.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Stan said:
That brings me to the contact lens idea. I would never, ever, wear contact lenses. I saw far too many cases of bad things getting under contacts and causing eye issues that would not have occurred in the majority of those cases had the wearer opted for glasses and not contact lenses. Just food for thought.
That provides me with support. When glasses were first prescribed for me in high school, I wanted contacts but my Dad wouldn't buy them for me. Now I'm happy because I don't like the thought of wearing something on my eyeballs. Now my son in high school wants them but I have resisted. We'll see how that comes out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner