Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats at Burlington Coat Factory

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
fatwoul said:
Hats - or fabrics - with certain red and blue dyes in them do that, because the dyes are slightly IR and UV responsive respectively. My Fed Dlx does the same thing, to an extent, because you can see the brown does have some red content.

I purchased fedoras at BCF that I thought were a soft green, at least that is how they looked in the store under their lighting, but outside they were grey.

dean

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
deanglen said:
I purchased fedoras at BCF that I thought were a soft green, at least that is how they looked in the store under their lighting, but outside they were grey.

dean

I purchased a nice fedora at BCF some months ago in a grey-green color. Label says "Made in Czech Republic".

funneman

Practically Family
Starius said:
This thread makes me wish I could go to a Burlington's Coat Factory.

But the closest ones to me are Omaha, Des Moines, or Minneapolis.
:(

Can't you take your space ship? Looks like you have one in your avatar;)

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Well, it's after 8:00 on Saturday. It took a while to go to and come back from the nearest BCF. I didn't bump into any of you guys, probably because that store didn't have any of the fur felts we've been getting excited about. I even asked if they had gotten a new shipment. They had, but they were all black wool. Oh well, "Tomorrow's another day."

Starius

Practically Family
funneman said:
Can't you take your space ship? Looks like you have one in your avatar;)

Some punks stole it and crashed it into the moon.

I mean... come on, it's outer space for crying out loud! Vast expanse of the universe and they crash it into the only thing in orbit....

Damn kids.

Paratrooper

Familiar Face
Well I found one of the huckle hats in a black 100% felt fur in black with a wide ribbon on Thursday in a 7-1/2 (yeah it fits) the other times I have bene in thier they never have anything that fits my big mellon of a head.
Got nothing but comploments from the family when I wore it at the funeral for my grandmother.
I'll post a pict of it later, but I love it.

fatwoul

Practically Family
I'm sorry for your loss, Paratrooper.

Not wishing to distract from the topic (nor indeed make light of Paratrooper's post), but could someone briefly outline whether there is any additional hat etiquette at funerals? I know the basic rules that would apply (indoors, outdoors, churches, friends/strangers, etc), but a funeral is an exceptional event, so may have exceptional rules regarding hats. I'm not a religious person, but I'd like to know for future reference.

Looking forward to seeing this black variety. Being in the UK, this entire thread is alien to me, so it makes for particularly interesting reading.

VegasMike

One of the Regulars
Nice find! Sorry bout your grandmother passing though, heckuva way to break in a new hat.

I've noticed (well, based on mine) that the Huckel's seems to actually run big, as the one I picked up fits me great, and it's a 7 1/4, whereas I usually wear a 7 3/8 - 7 1/2.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I finally found a BCF that had a Huckel in stock. They only had one, and the tag was missing. After 20 minutes of trying to find a price, they let me have it for $9.99. It is, however, one size too big. Pics will follow when I've re-sized it. I can see why you guys are excited about these things.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Here are my acquisitions from last week's visit to another Burlington Coat Factory.

SN7844.jpg

I took the Huckel apart, and re-sized it (down) to 7 1/8. Note: This is, without a doubt, the best assembled hat I have ever redone. Quality construction. The sweatband even looks to be leather (at least bonded leather), rather than synthetic.

P1040142.jpg

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Man, I have never seen hats like that at BCF! Fantastic!
... cheap black wool is all I have ever seen. Oh and some sort of cap looking thing with so much stiffener it is a helmet ...

And Fatwoul, not to make light of anyone's loss or your question ... but my wife had a very specific answer for me when I asked the same question before her Grandmother's funeral a few months back.
The etiquette she subtly suggested was, "You are NOT wearing a hat to a funeral."
I am certain I have seen hats there before, though. I would think there must be some courtesy extended beyond the norm ...

indycop

I'll Lock Up
HamletJSD said:
Man, I have never seen hats like that at BCF! Fantastic!
... cheap black wool is all I have ever seen. Oh and some sort of cap looking thing with so much stiffener it is a helmet ...

And Fatwoul, not to make light of anyone's loss or your question ... but my wife had a very specific answer for me when I asked the same question before her Grandmother's funeral a few months back.
The etiquette she subtly suggested was, "You are NOT wearing a hat to a funeral."
I am certain I have seen hats there before, though. I would think there must be some courtesy extended beyond the norm ...
My grandfathers funeral was way back in the eighties. He was a retired colonel so it was a military funeral. There were hats worn and when taps and the salute was given they took them off and then put them back on when it was over. Don't know if its proper just what i saw.

jml90

One of the Regulars
I like that light gray! I'm going to have to see if my BCF has one in my big siZe.
J.T.Marcus said:
Here are my acquisitions from last week's visit to another Burlington Coat Factory.

SN7844.jpg

I took the Huckel apart, and re-sized it (down) to 7 1/8. Note: This is, without a doubt, the best assembled hat I have ever redone. Quality construction. The sweatband even looks to be leather (at least bonded leather), rather than synthetic.

P1040142.jpg

funneman

Practically Family
BCF

Upon reading this thread, my daughter and I headed right over to the local outlet mall thinking we'd make a big score.

All we found were stacks and stacks of the wool variety.:(

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
It's like mining for gemstones. But when you find tha jewel, WOW! It helps if you have more than one store within driving distance. I've just found two more.

fatwoul

Practically Family
I have this image in my head of JT just driving about for days on end, never sleeping, looking for outlets of Burlington Coat Factory.

You're a man on a mission, JT. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto