Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats/caps - what to wear for the date?

Edipbear

New in Town
Hey everyone!

Would be interesting to hear your views about what hat/cap is your favorite to wear for a date. I am actually about to be one soon I think ^^

If you guys would like to help me out, I would need you to anticipate my hats/caps-questionnarie,of which I have to do in my marketing course.

Only takes maximum 2 minutes, and it contains 10 questions (very basic).
I will later present the results for all of you later in this thread :)
//Edip

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=M0OapLto1VrfJ63tJW3u5Q_3d_3d

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Your survey is flawed.
For question #8 I should be able to pick the same value for multiple fields. Quality of components and the Design are equally important IMHO.
I wouldn't buy the most beautiful hat in the world if it was made out of junk and I wouldn't buy a pure Beaver hat with silk liner and kangaroo sweat if it looks like a piece of junk.

Edipbear

New in Town
Thanks guys!

@ Lloyd: Thank you for your views, it's a good point you have and I will consider to change the survey. Really nice of you to take your time doing the survey.

@ Stoneface: Really smart, I'll try to do that with the next survey where there will be hats instead.

But in overall, what do you think about the survey? Anything else I should change?
By the way, what would you wear for a date?

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
There seems to be something wrong with the questionnaire. When I submit my response, I get the following red text above Q9, even though I've responded to every question I can find.

bug.jpg

Stoneface

New in Town
Edipbear said:
Hey everyone!

Would be interesting to hear your views about what hat/cap is your favorite to wear for a date. I am actually about to be one soon I think ^^

That is dependent on many factors:

The weather/temperature.
The place to meet (exhibition, zoo, museum, what kind of restaurant - standard or classy and expensive etc).
The date partner: is she a young wild one who is also mostly into alternative/metal or is she a classy mature with attitude?
Has she seen you before and in which apparel? Does she liked it or not?
So for one you may look too outdated and for the other too wild depending on your outfit choice.

Edipbear

New in Town
Taadaah!

@Wolfwood: Tadaaah! I changed it now, and there you have the hats :) I've been thinking about how to do it, this kind of new technology ( making surveys through internet) is really something new for me. I would be glad if you could encourage other hat/cap-friend to anticipate to this survey. I by myself am, very new to the community.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=M0OapLto1VrfJ63tJW3u5Q_3d_3d

@ Stoneface: Wow man, suddenly the hat-world is becoming a totally new world :) Let's say you are going to meet an out-going woman, with strong confidence, self-belief, very wild and charismatic. Both of you are deciding to take a walk on a sunny day in the city-center to watch some live-band playing music. What would you wear ?

The newsboy caps are a shape I like but the pattern of the fabrics for those are not my fav, i prefer classic colors and weaves not the mixed color look.

As to the hats all of the mens ones are modern small brim types that I would not wear if you put a gun to my head. The ladies ones look ok to me but I don't think I am a good judge.

Edipbear

New in Town
Classic colours?

@ John in Covina: Which classic colours would you like to prefer? Maybe you could upload a picture maybe of such an example? And also the most important question, what hat/cap would you take out for a date or when you just feel like to go out with style? :)

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
I've just filled it in.

Survey comments:
  • 7 choices of rating seems a bit much, maybe 5 values would be enough?
  • Besides some minor grammatical quibbles, this bit doesn't make sense: To choose this option you must your specific headsize-number
  • I don't really like any of the hats

Date comments:
  • Wear a nice Panama if it's sunny, just don't out-dress the lady!!!

The pictures have changed since my first look. However some of the flat caps were one fabric one color that was nice, However I don't like flat caps, but all of the newsboys were mixed panels, had they been one fabric whether grey, camel, tweed, herringbone they would be much more acceptable. That I would consider wearing.

Hat wise I prefer non stingy brims, so if you were to look up an Akubra Squatter or Campdraft here in the hat section and maybe check out the Matt Deckard Apparel MD-1 or some of the styles from Art Fawcett you'll see fedora type hats that are more in the style of vintage rather than the styles embraced by todays youth. In many ways here we tend to point to vintage inspired hats, and while we celebrate the idea that todays youth has a greater appreciation of hats than in recent years, we also tend to hope they may move on to embrace a more classic styling of hat.

Edipbear

New in Town
Keep up with the hat/cap-fashion - websites

Methuselah said:
I've just filled it in.

Survey comments:
  • 7 choices of rating seems a bit much, maybe 5 values would be enough?
  • Besides some minor grammatical quibbles, this bit doesn't make sense: To choose this option you must your specific headsize-number
  • I don't really like any of the hats

Date comments:

According to our professour, 7 values is better than 5. But I can see the clear benefit of using 5, it makes the whole procedure easier. You should seen the survey for 3 hours agoo... 16 different hats/caps with 7 values each *gulp*

I hope this is the equilibrium of effort and gain. Btw, is there any online-sites that you would recommend to keep up with the pace in hat/cap-fashion?

Edipbear said:
Btw, is there any online-sites that you would recommend to keep up with the pace in hat/cap-fashion?

If you go to the Hat Stores thread it should lead you to a number of on-line stores. Hat & Cap fashion is an interesting concept. For years in fedoras the style of hats stopped in the sixties / seventies. Many mainstream fedoras are locked into the dimensions and style from 30-40 years ago because fedoras had lost it's public few were sold and the makers felt no compulsion to change. The recent developement of the youth market with stingy brims has brought some "innovation" but it is what others would call bastardization of style. In courting the kids / youth market everything points more to the concepts of MTV as an arbitor of style.

In the adult market, from here and a number of other websites have begun a push for makers to bring back styles of the 1930's and 1940's and even from the 1950's. There are some areas where the concept of those classic styles to be better looking and more appropriate for wearing where classics give a better look and have style or panache that the youth market usually does not have a grasp of in their concepts of consideration. It's why twenty and eveethirty somethings in an attempt to be rogue youth will still wear converse sneakers with a suit when this was old and worn out in the 1970's. Here bad taste is recycled easily because it is supposed to have a sense of rebellion when it is actually only hackneyed and trite. As such youth in general continues to push the boundries of bad taste with greater more outrageous bad decsions in personal taste and personal representation.

In marketing you have to have a target market, much of the original line up of hats I saw are targeted for the youth.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Edipbear said:
Btw, is there any online-sites that you would recommend to keep up with the pace in hat/cap-fashion?
In line with John in Corvina's comment about youth, one should keep up with several retailer websites. Style leader for men's hats, maybe for women too, is Borsalino (Borsalino.com). You also have Dobbs, Stetson and I can't remember who else manufactures hats. RMR Hats in Italy has current styles. Village Hat Shop and Hats.com are places I visit that have current trends. I guess you can get a good picture about what's selling from those sites. Borsalino is a leader and innovator, and the others carry a wide range. Other retailers seem rather derivative of these trends that you can see. I think at least half or more of the hats sold go to youth, and what they buy is often different from the fedoras in demand here at the Lounge and sold at many of the retailers. So for your class you'll definitely want to focus partly on that. Don't forget Western hats which you can get from Western states retailers. They are no doubt bought by young and old over there. There is another thread on the Lounge that compiles the hat retailers; someone can refer you to that thread. If you looked at those 20 websites, then you'd get as good a cross-section as any.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I may be naive, but I'd hope that _some_ youth out there appreciate decent fur felt hats over the modern paper-and-what-not thingies. As such, it would be great to see at least one such hat _as an option_ for those who do not follow the big trends (there are such people out there who aren't afraid to stand out).

Tiller

Practically Family
Methuselah said:
Date comments:

I say dress how you normally dress on your first date. If you usually wear a suit, either because of work or personal choice then wear a suit. If you normally wear jeans and a t-shirt dress that way as well. If your nervous because you think your date may "under or over dress" compared to what you do it maybe best just to tell her and get it out of the way.

Also if you plan on taking her to a "nice" restaurant, (especially one that has a dress code) make sure to tell her at least a day ahead of time. Like wise if your taking her to the monster truck pull at the local fair grounds lol.

After the first few dates if she still wants to be in your company, she will have a general idea of how you dress.

Just my two cents on the topic.

Stoneface

New in Town
Edipbear said:
@ Stoneface: Wow man, suddenly the hat-world is becoming a totally new world :) Let's say you are going to meet an out-going woman, with strong confidence, self-belief, very wild and charismatic. Both of you are deciding to take a walk on a sunny day in the city-center to watch some live-band playing music. What would you wear ?

My outfit that I bought for the b-day of my friends gf - at his and hers birthday we play RB from dusk to dawn:

6dxs7t.jpg

Hard to spot are the brown trousers with shadowstripes and what you don`t see is this:

v9p8n.jpg

xd7axk.jpg

346nbi9.jpg

35askso.jpg

dc921d.jpg

The tie is from Ralph Marlin and is called "On Fire":

http://ralphmarlin.com/index.php/tie/on-fire-tie.html

Of course not everyone is the right person to pull off something like that.
Wearing a suit and a regular hat would look too outdated for a person you described in my opinion.

jffb86.jpg

Maybe a Trilby would suit you? I saw some here worn by the young and hip and it`s also popular with musicians >>>----> ...watch some live-band playing music.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy