Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats continue their comeback

HHCassius

New in Town
Not bad! That just about describes the way I see hat etiquette working for myself, maybe with the exception of that elevator bit, I don't personally see much of a reason to remove one's hat as a general rule in there, it may seen more affected, if anything.

I'd say I agree about the elevator, but what about in a bank? I have a feeling that back in the day, men would certainly wear their hats inside a bank, as it is a public place of business. But what about when you approach what is still to this day, mainly female tellers?

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd say I agree about the elevator, but what about in a bank? I have a feeling that back in the day, men would certainly wear their hats inside a bank, as it is a public place of business. But what about when you approach what is still to this day, mainly female tellers?

Wear the hat in the bank. I take it off when in the vault though.

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
Put you hat on the morning and leave it on until bed time, unless you are in a church or funeral home. This rule is easy to understand and easy to keep. I don't get it, about the elevator. Why take your hat off in an elevator of all places?

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
I get a lot of compliments from the tellers at my bank about my fedora,after years of seeing me in a seed cap they seem to like it,Although one young girl calls it my "Yankee Doodle Hat",the feather I guess.She is a nice girl,so I don't mind.
As for the elevator issue,I can understand that one.In the close contained quarters of an elevator removing your hat in a ladies presence shows that you are a genleman,and wish to be recognized as such.It might not be that important nowadays,but It never hurts.

Old Rogue

Practically Family
Ask anyone that was in high school and college in the 1970's to show you their photos. Most people realize now just how silly some of it looked and are embarrassed by some of those pictures.

Right on the mark John, thank goodness there are no surviving pictures from the 70's of me in leisure suits! What could I have been thinking?????

JimWagner

Practically Family
As for the elevator issue,I can understand that one.In the close contained quarters of an elevator removing your hat in a ladies presence shows that you are a genleman,and wish to be recognized as such.It might not be that important nowadays,but It never hurts.

That one I've never really understood. In a crowded elevator, if there were a number of gentlemen taking their hats off then they would then have to hold them. That actually takes up more space since their hats are now on the level of their bodies instead of on top of their heads. That makes the crowd all that more crowded in a confined space.

The only other explanation that makes even a little bit of sense to me would be that with hats removed it might be easier for everyone to see the button panel and know their floor had been reached. Like removing your hat in a theater so the person behind you can see the screen. If that's the logic, then ladies being present in that elevator or not makes no difference. It's a courtesy to everyone needing to see the floor indicator.

4spurs

One of the Regulars
I work in a four story bldg; ground floor is parking, second floor is the Public Defender, third floor is my office, 4th fl is the Parole Div.

Nobody getting in the elevator with me is expecting me to take off my hat; or would even know why I was doing so if I did. It stays on my head, better that way, it leaves both hands free in case I need them . . .

Sam Craig

One Too Many
RichardH -- Can that fedora possibly the the same hat that she is wearing in the lower pic, but it just appears gray in one and brown in the other?

Just wondering,

Sam

HHCassius

New in Town
Put you hat on the morning and leave it on until bed time, unless you are in a church or funeral home. This rule is easy to understand and easy to keep. I don't get it, about the elevator. Why take your hat off in an elevator of all places?

At the risk of sounding (okay, being) condescending, I'll venture a guess perhaps you're a younger guy. Why is it that we must throw out the baby with the bath water? I understand that back in the day when men and women wouldn't dare leave the confines of their house without a proper hat on was also the day when civil rights and women's rights were not respected. But that doesn't mean we should forego a standard of propriety, respect and yes, even tradition. The same way you shouldn't leave your coat on when you sit down to lunch or to visit with someone in their home, you don't leave your hat on when engaging someone else. Your coat / hat is protection against the elements. It denotes aloofness and social awkwardness to leave your hat on when you're holding a conversation or sitting down to a meal, as if you don't fully trust or feel comfortable with the person you're with.

Now, in an elevator, there will normally be strangers in the midst. But if it's a fine woman, why wouldn't you want to show your chivalrous side by doffing your hat in the presence of a lady? Will it kill you? No. Is it necessary? No. Nor is it practical.

But certainly when you sit down to your job (unless it's part of the uniform, i.e. a hard hat on a construction site or a garrison cap if you work at Steak-and-Shake), sit down to a meal, or sit down to visit, it kind of puts distance between you and your fellow man / woman in intimate settings. I feel it is only proper to act accordingly.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy