Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats for a RELATIVE noob

drummer4hire

New in Town
So, since many of the you are scouring world looking for hats, it seems a good idea to pick your collective brains.
I have two questions, and the first will lead into the second
First off, having a long, skinny head (think egg), i've found that tappers look best. That said, what is the consensus on Scala htas? I've found nothing thus far Yay on Nay. My one and only is a Scala, and i love it.
Second, is where do I find hats int the Pomona Valley/Inland Empire? It's like trying to find an attractive Inuit woman. There's an outlet store in the Ontario Mills mall, but they don't have a very knowledgeable staff. Please help, gents. Your input will be much appreciated

thebroker

One of the Regulars
My very first hat was a Scala, and it still serves me well occasionally. It was what I could find in a store where I could actually try it on, and although it wasn't exactly what I had in mind, I bought it anyway, and it got me started on the hopeless hat binge that many here can relate to. My Scala is an outback style wool, in kind of a salt-and-pepper gray/black color.

I'm not familiar with your area, but having no hat retailers nearby, I do most of my shopping online. I've had great luck with a few sites...Falkoff's (www.falkoffs.com), The Fedora Store (www.thefedorastore.com) and Village Hat Shop (www.villagehatshop.com). Also, once you get started, eBay is also a good source.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I will say this, try and go to an honest to god hat shop and try on several styles of hats before figuring the style that is right for you. You'd be suprised at how many hats may appeal to you that you've never tried on before.

Then when you've got your style, go to the online hat stores, or, if you are certain of the style and trust the seller, check out ebay... but do all this with the caveat that in this game (and all for that matter) mistakes will most likely be made, money is lost, and hair is pulled, no worries, I made so many mistakes starting with hats, it amazes me what I know now.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
The Scala branded hats are both yay and nay. Putting aside their wool hats (and various other lower grade materials) and concentrating on their fur felt hats (typically accompanied by lambskin sweatbands, etc.) I can say that their quality ranges from poor right up to pretty decent. I have not seen anything from them pushing the lower boundaries of great hats, but they can definitely turn out a decent fur felt hat some years.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Mr Vim said:
I will say this, try and go to an honest to god hat shop and try on several styles of hats before figuring the style that is right for you. You'd be suprised at how many hats may appeal to you that you've never tried on before.

Yes, do this because, once in the store, you may be surprised at how many hats you see that you think will look good on you, and when you try them on, you look in the mirror and think, 'holy cow, that doesnt look nearly as good as it did on the shelf.' Thats why a real live store is the best place to start.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
These guys know what they are talking about.
When I started collecting hats, you could go to a head shop, thrift shop or church rummage sale and get a selection.
Not any more
Go to a decent hat store ... free standing store, not a hat department in a discount store ... and try different hats until you find what feels good and looks sharp
If you take care of it, this is a lifetime relationship
I have hats I have worn for 30 years and they still have lots of life in them. Some were not expensive hats, either.
If you have the time and money, head on up the west coast to Washington state and visit David Morgan for the Akubras
Where you are, there should be all sorts of choices within a day's drive.
Good luck,
Sam

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
I wholeheartedly agree with trying to find a proper hat store. I had to wait until I went to NYC in August to go to a real hat store, but the experience was enlightening. If you're serious about hats and finding what works for you, its worth a drive or a trip to go to one. I went to 2 stores in NYC and that helped me narrow down the style and fit I like. Unfortunately, it cost me more money, because after feeling the good quality rabbit fur hats I knew I just had to have an Art Fawcett hat in beaver, because if it was nicer than those rabbit hats it would blow my mind.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
c344332b.jpg

drummer4hire

New in Town
This is all wise advice. I've found a few vintage hats, but the "squareness" of the hats makes my head look funny. i'm 5'8", 136, with a giraffe neck, and an equally long face. that, in and of itself, is tough to work with :rolleyes: Thus far, the taper of my Scala has looked the best. I was just curious on Scala, because they seem budget priced, and last a while. I've had mine for almost four years, and it's still in great shape. Though admittedly, I've only recently begun to wear it more often. And on an unemployed income, I'd rather stick to what is "cheap" and lasts, til i can afford better.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
drummer4hire said:
This is all wise advice. I've found a few vintage hats, but the "squareness" of the hats makes my head look funny. i'm 5'8", 136, with a giraffe neck, and an equally long face. that, in and of itself, is tough to work with :rolleyes: Thus far, the taper of my Scala has looked the best. I was just curious on Scala, because they seem budget priced, and last a while. I've had mine for almost four years, and it's still in great shape. Though admittedly, I've only recently begun to wear it more often. And on an unemployed income, I'd rather stick to what is "cheap" and lasts, til i can afford better.
To the hat stores with you. Trial and error. A whole bunch of hats to try on in one visit. No other way.

drummer4hire

New in Town
So i hit up a local hat shop, where the closest thing to cap they had was the newspaper boy cap. They carried a variety of brands, but not styles. I tried on a few, and found a couple that piqued my interest: Bailey's and Stacy Adams. Are there any thoughts on these? And they were both VERY stiff, a la cowboy hats. Will water and shaping soften them up? i'm learey to spend money on something if i cant get close to the finished product i have in mind

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn