Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats in Macbeth

Edward

Bartender
Bartenders, please move this thread if inappropriate, but it didn't seem to fit with "the moving picture", and I thought it was at least as applicable here as in the Obs Bar. My apologies in advance if I've called it wrong...

Last night, I went to see the Royal Shakespeare Company's production of Macbeth, currently running for a limited season in London's West End. A stunning cast, with the wonderful Patrick Stewart in the title role. Undoubtedly the best production of Macbeth I've ever seen, and Stewart performance just betters his turn as Prospero last Spring. Truly wonderful - if you get the chance to go, run to that theatre! I saw it from Row E of the stalls, ten feet from the stage. The actress playing Lady Macbeth is equally superb in her performance - lady called Ms Fleetwood (don't recall her first name offhand; UK Loungers will recognise her from Casualty or one of its spin-off shows).

Anyhow, the reason I post it here: the overriding visual theme for the costumes and set is Stalinist Russia. In particular, there are many wonderful hats on stage. Plenty of fedoras, and during the scence in which Banquo is murdered - set on board a train - several rather nice hombergs of the wide-brimmed, Al Capone style (at least one I'd say had a brim approaching 2 3/4"). Being so close to the stage, I got a good clear look at all the hats, and they all appeared to be a good quality fur. The suits and other clothing worn with them are all rather nice too - much for FL members to admire. What really made me chuckle inwardly, however, was the way they on stage treated the hats. Clearly either they have been specifically directed and tutored to handle them in a certain way, or none of them are habitual hat-wearing, FL-reading types. Every single one of them grabbed his hat roughly by the crown. One character's hat was very beaten up indeed - I'm sure to indicate it being well used (this particular character appeared only in civilian dress, a more political or possibly journalistic correspondent type appearance rather than a military man), but the way he treated it, maybe not! I found it amusing because not so long ago I wouldn't have thought twice about it, but since discovering this place I have become aware that there is a better way to treat a fur felt hat. An amusing coincidence is that yesterday was my first day out in my Biltmore fedora, and there it was on my lap for the show - after having been worn all day with only the brim being touched. lol Maybe back then they just weren't as fussy about their hats as we are today because they were just regular hats, basic clothing, nothing special and treated accordingly.

If you get the chance to go, do - it's worth it, and not just for the hats. ;)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Alas, poor Yorick

Wrong play. Maybe you're thinking of Banqou? Or his ghost?
This is the play from which we get the famous phrase "One swell foop!"

carter

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
Wrong play. Maybe you're thinking of Banqou? Or his ghost?
This is the play from which we get the famous phrase "One swell foop!"

"...I knew him, Horatio,
A fellow of infinite jest and most excellent fancy,
He hath borne me on his back a thousand times
..."

Edward

Bartender
The RSC are doing Hamlet in 2008, though - with David Tennant as Hamlet and Patrick Stewart as Claudius. I'll kill for a seat at that!!

carter

I'll Lock Up
:D
Edward said:
The RSC are doing Hamlet in 2008, though - with David Tennant as Hamlet and Patrick Stewart as Claudius. I'll kill for a seat at that!!

Edward,

I'll help you if I can secure a seat as well!

What are the dates?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:

I would love to see Patrick Stewart on stage. What a treat that must be!

Cheers,
JtL

nyx

One of the Regulars
:eek:fftopic: Not to intrude on a men's discussion,:eek: but I would have given my pinky finger to have seen Patrick Stewart play Othello in a version of the play with the races reversed. All of the other actors were black, except Stewart. I think it would have not ony been a treat, but also a fun discussion afterwards.

Bammac

New in Town
Alas McBeth,

....wildly sponging his E-bay vintage fedora, shouting "Out! damned spot!"...:D

"Fair is foul, and foul is fair; Hover through the fog and filthy air"...'tis vintage beaver, should I care?

...anyway, "...swords I smile at, weapons laugh to scorn, Brandish'd by man that's of a woman born"

That was writing!

Bam

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
RSC, Hamlet, sounds like a great FL meet up opportunity to me! My GF and I have been talking about 2 or 3 weeks in London and Paris for a long time. This could be the instigator.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
"By the pricking of my thumb,
something wicked this way comes."

It would be interesting to see a version of MacBeth done in the era of the 1930's. I think it would fit.

Would love to see pic of what you got to see.

Cheers!

Dan

Bammac

New in Town
30's MacBeth

DanielJones said:
"By the pricking of my thumb,
something wicked this way comes."

It would be interesting to see a version of MacBeth done in the era of the 1930's. I think it would fit.
Would love to see pic of what you got to see.
Cheers!
Dan

If i'm not mistaken, there was a gangster version of MacBeth, but I dont recall the era it was set in.

No, i'm wrong. One in '55 (Joe MacBeth), redone in '90 as "Men of Respect".

Bam

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Edward -

That must have been amazing! I have a particular fondness for the Scottish Play; and to have it done with Patrick Stewart...

As for interpretations of The Bard, on celluloid, I've always been fond of Ian McKellen's "Richard III" set in a Nazi-ish era, probably the 30's. The moment where his jeep is stuck and he shouts that most famous of Richard lines - "A horse! A horse! My kingdom for a horse!" Inspired adaptation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael