Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats in modern life

NeilA

Familiar Face
Heres a thread for hats in everyday life that you see on prominant figures that could have a positive/ negative effect on the "real" hat wearing community.

To start it off: Today when I turned on the news the today show came on, Matt Lauer and Al Roker were both wearing fedoras. I thought this was cool, because its not in a period movie, but in the news where thousands watch every day. So, I think some good exposure for our favorite lid.

Note: if this has already been done please, just say so, I'll gladly research for the previous thread.

Brad Pitt wears a stingy brim quite often, & other frequent hat wearers are Hugh Jackman, Johnny Depp, Daniel Day Lewis & Sean Connery. Some website named Hugh Jackman "Best Hat Wearer".
Mickey Rourke wears one quite often as well as does Matt Damon.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Leonard Cohen likes to wear a fedora, as do most of his band members.

thumbleonard%20cohen%20-%20new%20york%202009%20fr%20single.jpg

leonard-cohen_500x336.jpg

And of course this fellow has been known for his hat wearing habbits for decades...

waits.jpg

tom_01.jpg

It could be argued, though, that he's only wearing hats to keep this rather monolithic hairdo at bay. Think hair hat, not hat hair. :D

tom_02.jpg

frussell

One Too Many
Tom Waits is the MAN

Mario, those are two great musicians, but unfortunately, they are also two guys who have never cared what anyone thought of them. Too bad more celebrities are not as brave. Most of the folks I see wearing fedoras on TV are not who I want people to associate me with when they see me wearing one. I can't ever get too much Tom Waits though. Frank

Mario

I'll Lock Up
frussell said:
Mario, those are two great musicians, but unfortunately, they are also two guys who have never cared what anyone thought of them. Too bad more celebrities are not as brave. Most of the folks I see wearing fedoras on TV are not who I want people to associate me with when they see me wearing one. I can't ever get too much Tom Waits though. Frank

:arated: on all accounts! :D :D

Jazzcat

New in Town
Without a doubt, the Fedora Lounge is the single best source for all things fedora in modern life. Regular people with regular lives who just dig hats. This forum provides plenty of encouragement for the new hat wearer and also helps others validate what they already know. You just cant beat a nice fedora.

carldelo

One Too Many
NeilA said:
Heres a thread for hats in everyday life that you see on prominant figures that could have a positive/ negative effect on the "real" hat wearing community.

To start it off: Today when I turned on the news the today show came on, Matt Lauer and Al Roker were both wearing fedoras. I thought this was cool, because its not in a period movie, but in the news where thousands watch every day. So, I think some good exposure for our favorite lid.

Note: if this has already been done please, just say so, I'll gladly research for the previous thread.

Good thread - I saw them this morning as well. Al had on a sage green number over a camel coat. Matt's was a dark plaid stingy thing which looked quite good with his trim 60s-style short overcoat. They may be kind of annoying sometimes, but they're doing the hat thing well.

Waits and Cohen also do the hat thing well, as musicians usually do, but I have to give a thumbs down to Conan's band. For whatever reason, they look kind of dopey to me most of the time, which I don't think helps the hat issue.

4and1

One of the Regulars
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy is seen by many people. But they wear their brims unsnapped, which, to my eye, comes off as more of a prop than anythig else. Who knows if they wear hats every day or only for performances?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I rarely, rarely see a proper fur felt dress fedora on anyone's head, unless I look in the mirror - - but SOMEbody(s) out there sure buys a lot of them from Ebay and Fedora Loungers can't account for all of it. [huh]

NeilA

Familiar Face
In agreement

Jazzcat said:
Without a doubt, the Fedora Lounge is the single best source for all things fedora in modern life. Regular people with regular lives who just dig hats. This forum provides plenty of encouragement for the new hat wearer and also helps others validate what they already know. You just cant beat a nice fedora.

While I agree with this, (being a serious lurker while I was awaiting approval to be able to post), what I was getting at are those moments when prominant people are wearing a fedora, dressing nicely/stylishly. As no matter how much it pains me to say it, the famous are closly regarded as the pinacle of fashion, and personaly, I dont like the fedora, or other period items because they are different and dont care if they are, I like then because they look great, and I think that it would be really nice to see some of that come back.

As for not being able to beat a nice fedora, I can't wait to find out. :)

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Wasn't Hugh Jackman recently voted "celebrity hatwearer of the year" or some strange award like that?

He certainly seems to have a few on the hatstand. Mostly seen wearing trilbys bu occasionally something broader.

hugh_jackman.jpg

hathugh_380x529_815659a.jpg

90215ne4_jackman_h_b_gr_02-411x590.jpg

hugh-jackman-straw-hat-hottie.jpg

Viper Man

Banned
4and1 said:
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy is seen by many people. But they wear their brims unsnapped, which, to my eye, comes off as more of a prop than anythig else. Who knows if they wear hats every day or only for performances?

I disagree. I often wear my brim up (as did many jazz & blues musicians back in the day). I think it just gives the hat a bit more of a casual look. Maybe it's their hats that are prop like?

theinterchange

One Too Many
elvisroe said:
Wasn't Hugh Jackman recently voted "celebrity hatwearer of the year" or some strange award like that?

He certainly seems to have a few on the hatstand. Mostly seen wearing trilbys bu occasionally something broader.

hugh_jackman.jpg

That's a very classy look. I may actually like him in a hat better than Johnny Depp.

Randy

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
theinterchange said:
That's a very classy look. I may actually like him in a hat better than Johnny Depp.

Randy

Well, they use their hats in very different ways, commensurate with their personalities and the images they want to project. Depp usually goes for a Bohemian Artist kind of a thing - very "I have style but I don't care." Jackman, who's a bit more of a showman, seems to wear hats like the cherry on top. For him, it's kind of like the idea that no matter how you look (good or bad), you'll always look better with a fedora.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
theinterchange said:

Randy

I wonder what it is?
My guess would be an Akubra Fedora with that crease. Maybe a Sydney but I don't think they make them anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff