Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats in restaurants

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 512245 View attachment 512254
View attachment 512246
John Hardy are now merged with J&J Minnis and trade under the name of "Fresco."
The blazer was a chance find at a vintage event, the name of which, slips my mind.
Colin Johnson made the shoes, https://www.colinjohnsonshoes.com/ The hat for
my oversized crown is, like the shoes, bespoke. https://gambleandgunn.com/ My wife
Tina, made the trousers, the shirt is from Chester Cordite. https://www.chestercordite.com/

The blazer has always been a favourite, the colour will mix and match with many
lighter hues and contrast to various shirts. It lends itself to the cravat, perfectly, when
a less formal neck tie is not required.

It's the perfect outfit for Sunday lunch. Worn with the neck tie for the formal (expensive,)
or the cravat for lunch at the local pub. The hat and blazer compliment one another perfectly.

A well dressed man, Indeed. You keep the rest of us on our toes and you give my weak brain a few fashion tips along the way. I have business meeting today and I'm thinking I'll go all out and wear my Cambridge bowler. It might generate some conversation and, perhaps, gain a few compliments from the ladies :)

I do need a handy walking stick like yours. I'll have to work on that.

20210610_083737.jpg 20210613_073659.jpg 20210609_141810.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
A well dressed man, Indeed. You keep the rest of us on our toes and you give my weak brain a few fashion tips along the way. I have business meeting today and I'm thinking I'll go all out and wear my Cambridge bowler. It might generate some conversation and, perhaps, gain a few compliments from the ladies :)

I do need a handy walking stick like yours. I'll have to work on that.

View attachment 512262 View attachment 512263 View attachment 512264
Thank you very much for your kind compliment, and I must say you look every inch the professional, I love it. That hat, it's fabulous, I was expecting the dome top when I read bowler. That Cambridge is not a hat that I have come across before. Even a Google search didn't come up with anything.

It's digressing I know but seeing you holding your specs brought back a long forgotten reminisce. As a younger fellow, in my managerial career, I needed glasses for a short sighted prescription. I used them as a tool for disciplinary hearings and on the spot ass-kicks. Peering over the rim with a glare that could strip paint, I could bring any miscreant to heel. It was particularly satisfying when I overheard the conversation of a couple of the workers: One said to the other, (profanity included,) "I effing hate it when he stares at me over the top of his glasses!"

Cue clenched fist and a long, but silent, yesssssssss!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Lock & Co. still list a Cambridge bowler in their stock, but you are correct, you don't see many around - I guess that's why I wanted one! I've only managed to find one picture of a 30s-40s vintage model myself (other than the pictures of Winston Churchill wearing his). I have not found much good history on them either. I can only assume they are a variation of the old Carriage hats (ie, "short" top hats) of yesteryear.

Mike Miller at Northwest Hats built mine.

Regarding my round, wire rimmed specs; I can get similar non-verbal responses from my students when I look over the top of my glasses while they are taking exams! I'm just glad they can't speak out loud at those moments!

20210609_143207.jpg

Thank you very much for your kind compliment, and I must say you look every inch the professional, I love it. That hat, it's fabulous, I was expecting the dome top when I read bowler. That Cambridge is not a hat that I have come across before. Even a Google search didn't come up with anything.

It's digressing I know but seeing you holding your specs brought back a long forgotten reminisce. As a younger fellow, in my managerial career, I needed glasses for a short sighted prescription. I used them as a tool for disciplinary hearings and on the spot ass-kicks. Peering over the rim with a glare that could strip paint, I could bring any miscreant to heel. It was particularly satisfying when I overheard the conversation of a couple of the workers: One said to the other, (profanity included,) "I effing hate it when he stares at me over the top of his glasses!"

Cue clenched fist and a long, but silent, yesssssssss!

Who’s the he, Jack? You??
No, not me. KS has their own state license plate for wounded combat veterans. You can’t get one for cutting your finger while peeling potatoes in the Navy like you can nowadays for a Purple Heart. Anyway I saw plates on his truck as I came in to HH. He lost his R leg from the knee down from a punji stick in Vietnam. When I sat down by him he actually asked me if I minded his hat on the bar top! Of course not! Here’s mine.

IMG_7843.jpeg

Sometimes people who never had to face the Vietnam war, the draft or the draft lottery, never went to get an advanced education make my blood boil. Sorry for the rant…blame it on the alcohol!

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
No, not me. KS has their own state license plate for wounded combat veteran. You can’t get one for cutting your finger while peeling potatoes in the Navy like you can nowadays for a Wounded Heart. Anyway I saw plates on his truck as I came in to HH. He lost his R leg from the knee down from a punji stick in Vietnam. When he sat down by me he actually asked me if I minded his hat on the bar top! Of course not! Here’s mine.

View attachment 542676

Sometimes people who never had to face the Vietnam war, the draft or the draft lottery, never went to get an advanced education make my blood boil. Sorry for the rant…blame it on the alcohol!
I agree completely Jack.
No need to apologize ever for being patriotic and honoring the warriors.
I have a soft spot for Nam vets. Served with many of them. They never got the welcome home they deserved like today’s warriors. Lot of people don’t know of or remember those sad times.
I’m thankful to those that do.
B

I agree completely Jack.
No need to apologize ever for being patriotic and honoring the warriors.
I have a soft spot for Nam vets. Served with many of them. They never got the welcome home they deserved like today’s warriors. Lot of people don’t know of or remember those sad times.
I’m thankful to those that do.
B
Reminds me of this quote from the movie, Open Range — “I'm tryin' to put some bad times behind me, but sometimes they don't stay put.” — Charley Waite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner