Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats in restaurants

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Tina and I will be dining out for a traditional roast beef Sunday lunch tomorrow. There's a lovely couple that we know who have a pub/restaurant, with it's thatched roof it's more of a country inn.
My text message for our table garnered the reply: "Come along in the MG, adding, and wear your hat!" We most certainly will.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
You know you've got it made when even your fans recommend your attire! Pretty soon you'll be known by your first name only, like Dolly, Beyonce, Bono, or Elvis :)

Tina and I will be dining out for a traditional roast beef Sunday lunch tomorrow. There's a lovely couple that we know who have a pub/restaurant, with it's thatched roof it's more of a country inn.
My text message for our table garnered the reply: "Come along in the MG, adding, and wear your hat!" We most certainly will.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You know you've got it made when even your fans recommend your attire! Pretty soon you'll be known by your first name only, like Dolly, Beyonce, Bono, or Elvis :)
My MG has that privilege, known as Jessica, most people think it's just a cute name that's been dreamed up. But Tina came up with Jessica. When I looked puzzled she explained that, like her cartoon namesake, she's a redhead. That's true. And she has a great body. Can't argue with that. Finally, with a mischievous smile, she said: "And she's got a great pair of hooters" Well there you go.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
No matter how hard we try, our lovely wives always get the best of us!

Tell Ms. "I can make a Hawaiian shirt out of a cardboard box" Tina, hello from Texas.

My MG has that privilege, known as Jessica, most people think it's just a cute name that's been dreamed up. But Tina came up with Jessica. When I looked puzzled she explained that, like her cartoon namesake, she's a redhead. That's true. And she has a great body. Can't argue with that. Finally, with a mischievous smile, she said: "And she's got a great pair of hooters" Well there you go.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Tell Ms. "I can make a Hawaiian shirt out of a cardboard box" Tina, hello from Texas.
Tina reminded me that we have been to Texas, well, if taking a bus tour around Dallas counts as a visit.
Flights from London's Heathrow to any US provincial airport usually means two flights. The first across the pond to a northern or southern hub and then on to your destination.

Our flight from London to Nashville meant changing planes at Dallas. We missed our connection so our airline put us up in a hotel. The wait for the next Nashville flight was so long that we had time to take the bus tour of Dallas.

The lady says thank you for the Aloha shirt compliment, and: "Have you seen the cardboard boxes she uses?"
aloha box.jpg

The same dangers exist inside as they do out. I’m fine with keeping my hat on indoors if there isn’t a safe and secure place provided to store it...
I've semi-recently come around to this way of thinking with regards to "hat etiquette". I've never had anyone grab my hat for a stupid photo-op, but I've had my hats crushed under purses and jackets, had food or beverages spilled on them, and so on. Since most people these days don't pay much attention to hats, and there is almost never a safe place to store them while I/we eat, I regularly leave mine on my head where, for the most part, they're safer. So far no one seems to care one way or the other.

Who?

Practically Family
I've semi-recently come around to this way of thinking with regards to "hat etiquette". I've never had anyone grab my hat for a stupid photo-op, but I've had my hats crushed under purses and jackets, had food or beverages spilled on them, and so on. Since most people these days don't pay much attention to hats, and there is almost never a safe place to store them while I/we eat, I regularly leave mine on my head where, for the most part, they're safer. So far no one seems to care one way or the other.
Put it on your knee (you have your choice of two) under the table.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Ha ha ha ha! I knew she had a secret stash!

Tina reminded me that we have been to Texas, well, if taking a bus tour around Dallas counts as a visit.
Flights from London's Heathrow to any US provincial airport usually means two flights. The first across the pond to a northern or southern hub and then on to your destination.

Our flight from London to Nashville meant changing planes at Dallas. We missed our connection so our airline put us up in a hotel. The wait for the next Nashville flight was so long that we had time to take the bus tour of Dallas.

The lady says thank you for the Aloha shirt compliment, and: "Have you seen the cardboard boxes she uses?"
View attachment 511044

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Worked overseas for 20 years. Came back and went through “reverse culture shock.” One of the things on my long list was guys wearing their hats (usually baseball caps) while eating in restaurants. I confess that I was unreasonably irked by it. Now, almost two years later, I shrug and am simply resigned to the fact that that is U.S. culture (not better, not worse. Just different) and that it really doesn’t matter. If I kept harping on things, my wife would have probably divorced me.

I've done that, only to have some form of filth from the underside of a decades-old table transfer to the hat. No, so far it seems if I want to protect my hats my options are to leave them at home, or leave them on my head. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Same with me. More often than not my napkin will fall off my leg/lap at some point while eating and I’m not risking it with my hat…the floor or the underside of the table. I’ll leave my hat in the car or on my head. Rarely is there a hook or something at the table where I can hang it. I’d prefer to take my hat off inside a restaurant, but I’ll only do it if there is a practical and safe place to store it.

Same with me. More often than not my napkin will fall off my leg/lap at some point while eating and I’m not risking it with my hat…the floor or the underside of the table. I’ll leave my hat in the car or on my head. Rarely is there a hook or something at the table where I can hang it. I’d prefer to take my hat off inside a restaurant, but I’ll only do it if there is a practical and safe place to store it.
I've done that, only to have some form of filth from the underside of a decades-old table transfer to the hat. No, so far it seems if I want to protect my hats my options are to leave them at home, or leave them on my head. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
YES......agree with you both........anymore my hats do NOT leave my head in any restaurant. Too much can happen.

And if a formal event, the hat stays in the room, car, or home. (I have actually been asked to wear my hat at some of these events knowing it stays on my head).

IF I have table space at a meeting, my hat will sit on my briefcase......or if no food/drink around then on a chair seat with my overcoat. Otherwise stays on my head (and everyone understands surprisingly....many like to see my hats;)).

Who?

Practically Family

You need to patronize a better class of establishments.

We still have a few 75+ yr old stockyards steakhouses where beef is king & locals are encouraged to wear their best Western hat while dining. You will be promptly seated at tables in the center of the room where you may continue to wear your hat without fear. The hatless are seated in high back booths around the edge of the room.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Maroon Blazer And silvergreybtrousers2 001.JPG D B maroon blazer 003.JPG
More Blazers 022.JPG
John Hardy are now merged with J&J Minnis and trade under the name of "Fresco."
The blazer was a chance find at a vintage event, the name of which, slips my mind.
Colin Johnson made the shoes, https://www.colinjohnsonshoes.com/ The hat for
my oversized crown is, like the shoes, bespoke. https://gambleandgunn.com/ My wife
Tina, made the trousers, the shirt is from Chester Cordite. https://www.chestercordite.com/

The blazer has always been a favourite, the colour will mix and match with many
lighter hues and contrast to various shirts. It lends itself to the cravat, perfectly, when
a less formal neck tie is not required.

It's the perfect outfit for Sunday lunch. Worn with the neck tie for the formal (expensive,)
or the cravat for lunch at the local pub. The hat and blazer compliment one another perfectly.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21