Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats in restaurants

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I'm sure there's a thread about this somewhere. I just can't find it....[huh]

While out on a stroll tonight I saw this at a very nice gourmet restaurant in town. That's not very gentlemanly of him... :mad:

acaciahat100.jpg
[/IMG]

GWD

One Too Many
I concur. [huh] He's not even a young punk, he should know better. He looks like he's got tons of hair too!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
There's no extra chair (that I see) to put it on, and even if they do have a coat check, I wouldn't hand my $xoo hat to anyone. No one knows how to handle them.

(This thread is moe specific, but for a general discussion, there's the stickied All You Need to Know About Hat Etiquette thread.)

Mav

A-List Customer
GWD said:
He looks like he's got tons of hair too!
That's why I hate him.:D
In more rural or "western" parts of the U.S., this has always been OK (I remember my granddad and his cronies wearing their hats at restaurants in Montana) but it just looks wrong anywhere else. I've always followed the "OK at the bar, but not at the table" theory, myself.
I think this is just more increasing slop in the culture.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Quigley Brown said:
I'm sure there's a thread about this somewhere. I just can't find it....[huh]

While out on a stroll tonight I saw this at a very nice gourmet restaurant in town. That's not very gentlemanly of him... :mad:

acaciahat100.jpg
[/IMG]

The problem is, most restaurants have no place to keep a patron's hat while he dines. Coat/hat check stations are only found in private clubs or upscale eateries these days, and in the summer months they don't always have the coat check open.

If the table is large enough, I'll risk turning my hat on its crown on the table and hope that no one trips the waiter as he passes by. A booth is ideal; I can put my hat on the bench beside me. Quite often, I'll have to leave my hat in the car, which sort of negates the whole point of wearing it.

Look on the bright side, at least he's not sporting a backwards baseball cap ;)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I'm guilty of having done this before myself, but as I can recall, it was out of the convenience of not getting the hat dirty. I wish there were still hat and coat checks or racks about, but in today's world, for the majority of people, they are not necessary anymore. I actually think the Panama or straw fedora looks nice on him though.

There's a novel in that picture, eh?

Nice lookin' hat, good lookin' guy. She appears significantly younger. Hmmm ...

He's talking, she's listening. Maybe.

I question if wearing one's hat at the dining table is the breach of etiquette it was a few decades back, when many more men wore "proper" hats and for that reason many more people had a clearer sense of where the lines were drawn. And it's true that very few places have a hat check anymore, and even if they did, trusting an expensive panama straw hat to the attendant might not be advisable, seeing how it's doubtful he or she would know not to handle it by its crown, say, or leave it where another item might be placed atop it.

Still, his wearing the hat at the table might well leave the impression he is more concerned with the safety of his prized bit of male plumage than his manners. Not the wisest dating strategy, I'd say. He'd do well to place it under his chair for the duration of the meal.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Lefty said:
There's no extra chair (that I see) to put it on, and even if they do have a coat check, I wouldn't hand my $xoo hat to anyone. No one knows how to handle them.

I agree but what I do most the time is to set my hat on my knee if I can. But when all else fails. On the head is where it belongs. :)

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
tonyb said:
Still, his wearing the hat at the table might well leave the impression he is more concerned with the safety of his prized bit of male plumage than his manners. Not the wisest dating strategy, I'd say. He'd do well to place it under his chair for the duration of the meal.

That's what I say, leave it under the chair when necessary.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Unless its a diner or someplace real cheap AND I'm by myself or with one of the guys, I use my knee as a hat rack under the table.

The fellow also needs to button up his shirt and cut off the pony tail.

CAPTION CONTEST - WHAT'S HE SAYING?

"But honey, I swear she's just a friend! More like a sister really! Honest!"

:D

Doggy Darb

New in Town
I always seek the extra chair when possible. My hat usually ends up on my knee. I carry a comb to avoid hat hair. It is my personal belief that having hat hair is considerably less embarrassing than being seen with a hat at the table, let alone that I am indoors. There's no reason to wear a hat at the table. It is an insult to those at the table with you, those dining around you, and the owner of the establishment. There are two places I believe an adult should never be seen wearing a hat under any circumstance: They are Church and the table.

I got nothing against the guy's hair. Some people can pull it off, some people can't. I say he can. Me, I never could, even when long hair was much more common than it is today, and when my hair was much more plentiful.

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars
I am guilty of wearing my hats in restaurants (well usually "pubs" cause I can't afford to go out to any fancy restaurants usually).
I understand some people's problems with it, but I also don't see it as being rude in this day and age. I am very respectful when I go into any establishment, especially in a restaurant or eatery, and am very well mannered, and I would take off my hat if asked by the establishment, but if there are no signs or rules inside the place and I am not asked, then my hat usually stays on my head.

Unfortunately, it seems that baseball hats have become more acceptable to be worn at tables these days than fedoras or other hats.

GWD

One Too Many
tonyb said:
I got nothing against the guy's hair. Some people can pull it off, some people can't. I say he can. Me, I never could, even when long hair was much more common than it is today, and when my hair was much more plentiful.

I admit, I'm a bit jealous. I haven't had hair since 1995.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112