Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats In The Car/A Newbie Question

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I drive a Nissan Xterra but there is not enough for me to wear a hat, unless I remove the headrest and lean the seat back a fair bit. As for getting in and out with the hat on, I must make very certain movements. I can only imagine what it must look like from a viewer's perspective.

I suppose I could purchase a shorter crown, but I am not sure that I would like that appearance. Haha. Seems to be quiet the pickle.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I drive a 2007 Mustang GT, the last year of the retro design, and I have no problem wearing a fedora with a decent height in the car. Someone above mentioned having problems with a 2008 Mustang, so perhaps there's a slight design difference.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I drive a 2007 Mustang GT, the last year of the retro design, and I have no problem wearing a fedora with a decent height in the car. Someone above mentioned having problems with a 2008 Mustang, so perhaps there's a slight design difference.

Upfront, I know little about fedoras. Do they have variants with tall crowns?
I own only western/cowboy hats, and each of them have tall crowns. With the straw hat I own having the shortest crown.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
My previous car, the venerable 2003 Buick Park Avenue, had enough headroom for me to wear a fedora while driving. But like most people here have noted, the headrest gets in the way. So I usually remove my fedora and place it on the passenger seat, crown down, if it's only me in the car; or on the back seat if I have a passenger.

My '11 Buick Regal is quite a bit smaller than the Park Avenue. Oddly, I have no trouble getting into the car with a hat on. But when I'm sitting in the back putting up the rear window sunshade, I need to duck my head carefully both entering and leaving the back seat, or the hat bumps the door frame. Probably because of the sharp slope of the roof.

WesternHatWearer, yes, some fedoras have tall crowns; the Australian hatmaker Akubra has a model called the Federation IV with a tall straight crown, though perhaps not as tall as some Western hats. Search for info on it here. And Stetson is offering new models with taller crowns than they have in recent decades.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
The belt parkway in Brooklyn..good times, not such great smells though... I haven't driven on that in about ten years, but there used to be a real bad odor as you passed Starrett city

I know it's about 4 years since this ^ post, but the smell is gone. And it's called Spring Creek Towers now. :)

Also, since my last post in this thread, I'm on my second Honda Civic, after the MINI Cooper. I buy the base model because it doesn't have a sunroof, so there is plenty or room for my hat. Civics sans sunroofs have less headroom than does a MINI Cooper with a sunroof.

I always drive with my hat on. I find that the front brim keeps the sky out of my field of vision, so I don't need sunglasses.

I don't have my seat back in an extreme position one way or the other - not bolt upright, nor laid back cruiser style. My Fed III, or anything bigger, will contact the headrest, while my Fed IVs don't. When the brim does smoosh against the head rest, I adjust my head so that the back of the brim folds either or down and I'm fine.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My '03 Dodge 1500 has plenty of room, my wife's Lexus requires some seat adjustments. There is nothing like leaning forward to look around a corner and hit the crown of your hat on the dang folded up sunvisor! Like you Scotty I use my hat as a sunvisor when driving (unless trying to put off hat hair for as long as possible!).

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
It would seem for time being I will not be wearing my hat while I drive. It is much more cost effective to take my hat than to purchase a new vehicle. HaHa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo