Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats In The Car/A Newbie Question

Rev Tom

New in Town
Hi everyone. I am new to the forum, and and new to fur felt hats. I have been lurking for several weeks, and thanks to the wonderful information I found on the forum, I ordered and just received yesterday my first "real" hat - an Akubra Banjo.

This may seem like a silly question, but do you wear your hat in the car? I found that the back brim of my hat hits the headrest in my car. If you don't wear your hat in the car, what do you do with it - especially in a car full of people - to keep it from getting messed up.

Thanks
Tom

Hey Rev,

Can't say that I've run into that problem. My brims ride higher than headrests, although wider brims can get in the way of a cell phone's extended antenna (or maybe it's the other way around).
Some western-wear stores carry these wire gizmos that attach in such a way as to allow the stowing of a hat upside down, resting against the headliner above the windshield and rearview mirror. I've never bought one, but they look like they oughta work OK.

LEUII

One of the Regulars
Hey Rev,
You have to watch out for those wire things. They work well for hard hats, but not that great for felt. I know the hard way.

Just curious, are you a pastor?

Rev Tom

New in Town
LEUII said:
Hey Rev,
You have to watch out for those wire things. They work well for hard hats, but not that great for felt. I know the hard way.

Just curious, are you a pastor?

In a manner of speaking - I am an interfaith minister.

I had wondered about the wire racks. After looking at the pictures, it seemed like they would flatten the brim.

Tom

Rev Tom said:
I am an interfaith minister. Tom
Please clarify.

Also Hope you are enjoying your new hat, don't forget to give an update on how it is working out for you. I am interested in a Federation one of these days when the job situation gets improved!

(Grace Alone, Faith Alone, Scripture Alone)

GA Wildlifer

Familiar Face
Glad you asked

Thanks for the post! I have wanted to ask this question but never got around to it. Is there anyone out there who has used these racks successfully? My work truck has a fixed headrest that is too tall for the brim to fit over. I turn it upside down on the seat, but the road vibration makes it slide to the back of the seat and mess up the brim.

It seems like a rack like the one posted would work better for a fedora if it diddn't press the hat to the headliner.

Does anyone know of any different designs for this type of rack? It has been very hard to find them by searching on the web. I keep on coming up with lots of unrelated results with the key words with which I search.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
The hat rack works great

Rev Tom said:
In a manner of speaking - I am an interfaith minister.

I had wondered about the wire racks. After looking at the pictures, it seemed like they would flatten the brim.

Tom

:arated:

Rev., I have used one of these racks in my Suburban as well as my Silverado. In over 10 years I have never had the rack damage a hat. I have stowed my westerns as well as my dress hats in it with no problem. I wear my westerns with the front brim pulled down quite a bit to shade my eyes as they are very sensitive to sunlight. You can bend the holder to accomodate just about any hat.

Rev Tom

New in Town
John in Covina said:
Please clarify.
(Grace Alone, Faith Alone, Scripture Alone)

John, Interfaith ministers are trained in all major world religions. Some provide ceremonies - wedding, funeral, etc - to couples from multiple faith backgrounds. Some are involved in chaplaincy in hospitals, hospice, or prisons. In addition to being the minister for a small local interfaith community, I focus primarily on creating understanding and respect among people of different faith backgrounds through education and dialog.

Tom

Pilgrim

One Too Many
The wire rack Riccardo posted is a staple item in many state patrol cars, especially in jurisdictions where they wear the campaign-style (Smoky Bear) hat. However, that style does have a flat brim.

I don't think it would hurt a fedora any to use one, as most of them snap nicely into place by running your fingers around the brim when you put them on.

However, a wire rack like that would not fit a car with an overhead console of any sort, or even a large interior light dome, unless one centered the rack over the dome - and then you'd block the light from the dome at night.

I generally just set my hat on the back seat with the front brim over the seat edge...or since I generally throw my coat across the back seat, flip it on its crown and sit it on my coat.

Flieger

Practically Family
Wearing a hat in a modern car?

(I bet this has been discussed before but I stuck out in my searches)

Since I've managed to live without a car for many years I only discovered this problem in the fall of 2007 when my family gave me an old VW Passat for my 40'th birthday: How the heck are you supposed to wear a hat while driving without giving it a new crease everytime you move your head or get in and out of the vehicle? :eusa_doh:

Where people shorter in them "old days" or where there more head room in the cars back then?

I'm 6' over sea level in my socks.

/F

Bama Mike

Familiar Face
I'm no expert on older cars but I bet many of them were made with more head room. I don't have as much of a problem knocking off my hat when I get in the car because I'm shorter.

genphideaux

New in Town
Gotta find the right car. I'm the same height and I have no problem getting in and out of my Subaru Forrester with a hat on. I have found that this is not true on many vehicles, more or less a trial and error thing.

anon`

One Too Many
genphideaux said:
Gotta find the right car. I'm the same height and I have no problem getting in and out of my Subaru Forrester with a hat on. I have found that this is not true on many vehicles, more or less a trial and error thing.
I was just about to say! My daily driver is also a Subaru Forester and I (happily) discovered after I boguht it that the interior is quite cavernous as far as clearance for a hat is concerned. On the other hand, my Chevelle provides scant inches over my bare (or capped) head. I also stand-in at six feet.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Bama Mike is right about the headroom. I have a Passat myself. Nearby in our apt bldg garage is a 1936 Ford. The roof line on that car must be a whole foot higher (all right, maybe a head higher) than mine.

I'm 5'10" and find I need to bow my head just slightly to keep a hat on while entering/exiting the Passat.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Henry used to produce a Top Hat version of the later Model Ts.

I have an easy solution to the shortage of hat room in mdoern cars. I don't use them.

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo