Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats on Sunday Morning on CBS

Lancealot

Practically Family
Did anyone else catch the piece Sunday Morning did on hats this morning? When I get back from church I'll try to hunt up a link for the piece.

Couldn't find a link for the video but here is the short synopsis from their website.

HATS: Tip of the Hat!
We'll be offering a tip of the hat to Father’s Day -- with a report on hats! The hat was an indispensable fashion accessory for men during the first half of the 20th century but, by its end, the hat had fallen out of style. Now, as correspondent Russ Mitchell reports, the hat is back!

Links:

JJ Hat Center:
www.jjhatcenter.com

Books by Chicago Sun Times columnist Neil Steinberg:

http://www.amazon.com/Hatless-Jack-President-History-American/dp/0452285232

http://www.amazon.com/Drunkard-Hard-Drinking-Life-Neil-Steinberg/dp/0525950656

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I caught it.

On the whole I thought it was a pretty good piece with Neil Steinberg “Hatless Jack: The President, the Fedora, and the History of an American Style,” and JJ Hat Center being prominently featured.

WH1

Practically Family
Good piece, also a great commentary by Ben Stein on the demise of the necktie. He sounds like MK talking about men dressing like men not their children or teenagers. good editorial commentary.;)

Lancealot

Practically Family
WH1 said:
Good piece, also a great commentary by Ben Stein on the demise of the necktie. He sounds like MK talking about men dressing like men not their children or teenagers. good editorial commentary.;)

I enjoyed the Ben Stein piece as well. Ben and MK both are dead on. The singles group at my church has a age range from early 20s to late 40s. We have aprox. 30 men and out of that there are 2 of us who wears suits regular and I'm the only one that tends to have a hat with me.

Myself and the other gentleman get various wise cracks from the other guys but all the ladies in the group constantly compliment us on our dress. They really seem to take notice of a man that takes pride in how he looks and doesn't look like he just rolled out of bed.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
An excellent piece...I just wish Classic Style could have gotten a mention.

I just did a story on the decline of the necktie for the station I work for. Hope to have it posted online here by mid-week. I think the tie is going the way of the hat. Those wanting to look stylish and stand out will wear one but it won't be commonplace. I say the hat is more practical than the tie. It keeps the sun off in the summer, the rain off in the spring, and keeps you warm in the fall and winter. All the tie can do is keep the soup stains off your shirt. :p

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
Very interesting piece! I really do wish fashion would shift more to men wearing hats more often. There's something about a man in a hat that screams sexy and confident. I guess all you fellas are ahead of the game then. ;)

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the link, Brian. My wife saw the piece and told me about it. I looked for it on CBS.com,but the video wasn't there. Glad I had a chance to see it.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
It occurs to me that Mitchell may have gotten the hat piece to do because he's the Token Black Guy on the program, much as Ben Stein is its Token Cultural Conservative. Ie: the fact that the pieces got aired at all is probably partly in the service of existing stereotypes. (Mind you, I haven't seen Mitchell's piece, but it sure is true of Stein's.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24