Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats That Truly Changed Your Life

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
I started to put this on the hat-astrophe thread until I realized it really didn't fit and thought it might prompt some stories of a qualitatively different genre that deserve their own dedicated thread.

"The Hat"
(Part 1 of 2)

I've mentioned this hat on Fedora Lounge before, and said then, “If it could only talk…” Since it cannot, I myself will have to tell this story in which it played the leading role.

The Hat:

My beloved grandmother sent me some money for my birthday when I was a freshman in college. I used it to purchase the hat at an upscale department store. The year was 1977, and I paid a then astonishingly expensive $55 at the store nicknamed "Needless Mark-Up" for good reason.

Made of a fine, smooth suede in a beautiful, dark amber color, it had a 1 3/4-inch, stingy brim, underwelted and finely stitched around in concentric circles; self hat band with a tall, great-looking, green, yellow, crimson, and black feather; a center-creased crown 4 inches tall at the front, 5 inches in the middle, and 4 1/2 at the rear; and two deep dents flanking the sides of the front at the very top of the crown. Though closest in form to a trilby, it had some alpine Tyrolean in its DNA, as well. Frankly, I've never seen another hat shaped quite like this one.

Inside, "Churchill" was inscribed on the full satin lining, and, in gold lettering, "genuine suede leather" and "Neiman Marcus," with its logo, printed on opposite sides of the reeded roan leather headband. At the rear was the perfectly tied ribbon bow, as well as the paper size tag--7.

Of all my earthly possessions during this period of time, if I had to pick just one, The Hat would have been my favorite.

The Story:

I was home from college on Christmas break of my sophomore year. Though we were both dating people at our respective colleges, it was like old times with my high school girlfriend Leigh, so when our old and good friend Barbara invited us to a New Years Eve party at her house, naturally, Leigh and I went together as a couple. We were not only eager to reconnect with Barb and the rest of the old crowd, but were interested to see her house. Yes, though she was but a sophomore herself, she was the youngest daughter of wealthy parents and had her OWN HOUSE, a turn-of-the-century one in the inner city near campus, which was probably full of beautiful things.

Its being a frigid evening, we were bundled up, and I had on The Hat, a bit over a year old then. As soon as we walked in the door, a couple of Barbara's new college friends snatched it off my head and cavorted about in it, rowdy and giggling. Normally, I would've read the riot act to such uncouth individuals and got my hat back pronto. But, since these two girls were pooty-faced and Barb's new buds, I cut them some slack, eventually retrieving The Hat and putting it in the spare bedroom on the bed with a pile of all the partygoers coats and scarves and such.

It was long after midnight and everyone else had left. But Leigh and I stayed with Barb because, not having seen one another since summer, needed to get in a good visit, just the three of us. When we were about to leave, I went to the bedroom to get Leigh’s and my cold-weather garb, but The Hat was gone! I immediately knew that the chicks had absconded with it, but when I told Barbara that it was missing, she maintained it must be in her house somewhere, so we all searched high and low—totally perfunctorily in my view--to no avail.

Before leaving, I told Barb in no uncertain terms that I was sure one of her new friends had taken it. I intentionally did not say “stolen,” but she bristled anyway and said they must have “accidentally” walked out with it, being so drunk and all. Now, I’ve never known anyone who suddenly becomes a thief due to over-consumption of alcohol, but I told Barbara I expected her to have The Hat back in her possession by noon, and that I would be calling her at that time to make arrangements to retrieve it. She acted really put out, but reluctantly agreed.

Passion with the lovely Leigh notwithstanding, I harbored a very bad feeling about The Hat, so I was up pretty early despite the late night merrymaking and started phoning Barb at about 9:00 AM, but she never answered after repeated attempts. So, at half past eleven, I jumped in my car and floored it over there.

(To be continued)

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
"The Hat" Part 2 of 2

I got there just in time to seeing her coming out the front door. She was all made up, dressed to the nines, and carrying a giant bloody Mary in one hand, an enormous ham in the other. Could she be en route to the thieves, dressed to impress, a drink to steady her nerves, for a pig-butt-for-trilby trade? No, so I quickly pulled in behind her Mercedes so she could not back out the drive.

“Where ya goin’, Barb?” I asked.

“Brunch at my folks’. Runnin’ late. Gotta go,” she said with her head down in a futile attempt to dodge what she knew to be my reason for being there.

“What about my hat—The Hat?” I pressed.

“Listen, your hat is NOT my problem,” she hissed.

“I’m sorry you see it that way, Barb, but the SOURCE of the problem is your two friends, and so I’m making it your problem. Last night you said you’d take care of it, yet now you’re on your merry way without a care in the world. Well, you may do whatever you wish, but the revised agenda is for you to get in my car, give me directions to the thieves’ lair, go in, get The Hat, and then I’ll drive you back here,” I calmly but firmly explained.

“Go to heck! I’ll do nothing of sort. They’re MY FRIENDS. Screw you!” she screamed, though I paraphrase for the sake of decency.

“Very well, then. The alternative is for me to call the police and swear out a warrant for their arrest. I’ve a dozen witnesses who know that’s my hat and will go on record as having last seen it in the hands of those two kleptomaniacs. As the theft occurred at your house, you will most assuredly be questioned. Since you’ve refused for no good reason to help resolve the situation, I can go the legal route. You might even be considered an accessory. So, Barb, it’s your decision; how shall we proceed, Plan A or Plan B?”

She chose Plan A, wherein I take Barb to the thieves’ to get The Hat herself.

When she brought it back to the car, though she was in a major huff, I thanked her graciously and said that this incident might be a blessing in disguise: 1. She had learned that her two new friends were thieves. And, 2., she had a home chock full of valuable collectibles they could easily take and she not even notice missing for quite some time. Then, 3., she could decide if theirs was a relationship worth keeping.

The until-then immaculate Hat had been crushed, leaving permanent jagged creases in the suede crown, and the beautiful feather was missing. I still have The Hat, but Barbara never spoke to me again. And Leigh, who once called Barb her best friend, having seen this episode shed her in a new light—or dark—thereafter chose to have nothing more than a cordial relationship with her.

Apparently, Barbara would rather have new friends who steal than keep an old one who stands up for what is his. It this case, it took a hat—no, The Hat—to flush out the true nature of a relationship that years of “friendship” had not.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Interesting story. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you were able to get your hat back in the end. I can't say I've had any comparable experiences in that a hat changed my life. If ever one does, I'm sure I'll post it here.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Mulceber said:
Yeah, good story. Shame that she didn't have your wisdom. Whatever happened with you and Leigh? -M

We continued to have our comfortable and convenient roll in the hay whenever we were both in town for several more years.

We eventually lost direct touch but sort of kept up with one another through the grapevine and so knew that we'd each married and what we were generally up to.

A few years ago--more than 20 since we last communicated---I moved back to our home town where she'd remained as a physician. So I gave her a call at home and office several times but never heard back.

As I'd worked my way into health care, I was honestly just trying to network with people in that industry in my old home town that I'd been gone from from for so long it was like a new place. I was looking for a job and contacts, but figured she must have thought I had other things in mind and ignored me. I was divorced by then.

An old mutual friend had a different take. He thought that she chose not to call me back because doing so would re-awaken old feelings too strong to resist acting on and thereby jeopardize her marriage.

Whatever, but my relationship with that old suede hat has proved longer-lasting and more trusty than any romantic one.

By the way, M6classic and Burlynate, here in the South, it's considered impolite for a man to leave his hat on while inside the house. The bed is where all party guests' hats, coats, and such go on a cold night (hats on the pillows, the rest on the bed itself), for when there are more than a few guests, there is insufficient space in the little closets of historic homes like Barbara's for all their cold weather wear, and it would be rude for the hostess to put some guests' things in the closet and others' on the bed. Ergo, they all go on the bed.

It's standard wintertime operating procedure, y'all. My hat's being on the bed was not the problem; a couple of guests with sticky fingers was; they could have just as easily stolen it out of a closet or foyer coat rack--had those been options--anyway. Perhaps I should have just shot them as soon as they snatched it off my head and lay their bodies on the bed. Is that what they do in your neck of the woods?

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
AlterEgo said:
It's standard wintertime operating procedure, y'all. My hat's being on the bed was not the problem; a couple of guests with sticky fingers was; they could have just as easily stolen it out of a closet or foyer coat rack--had those been options--anyway. Perhaps I should have just shot them as soon as they snatched it off my head and lay their bodies on the bed. Is that what they do in your neck of the woods?
Hey, if that's what you choose to believe, well...be my guest! Good luck, though. You'll need it.

Buzz

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
AlterEgo said:
By the way, M6classic and Burlynate, here in the South, it's considered impolite for a man to leave his hat on while inside the house. The bed is where all party guests' hats, coats, and such go on a cold night (hats on the pillows, the rest on the bed itself), for when there are more than a few guests, there is insufficient space in the little closets of historic homes like Barbara's for all their cold weather wear, and it would be rude for the hostess to put some guests' things in the closet and others' on the bed. Ergo, they all go on the bed.
By the way, Alterego, here in the North we give a guest more than two choices on where to put his or her hat. It's kind of a tradition. None of those choices is on the bed. Our house was built in 1752, but somehow we find non-bed space for all guests' hats.

Buzz

Valhson

One of the Regulars
M6Classic said:
By the way, Alterego, here in the North we give a guest more than two choices on where to put his or her hat. It's kind of a tradition. None of those choices is on the bed. Our house was built in 1752, but somehow we find non-bed space for all guests' hats.

Buzz

Good lord let the uprising stop.lol Is this tit-for-tat really happening? Next we will have the West Coast folks coming in and stating their Clothing storage options are even better due to Earthquake situational engineering or Japanese style storage... or some such.:p

On a more serious note:

Being a misplaced southerner myself, I understand your point M6Classic. However, please take into account that in the majority of old southern houses (at least in the Gulf region which is where I am from) there are no such things as mudrooms, enclosed porches, decent sized Coat Closets, proper northern style foyers or the like. Most often, a small rack near the door that has maybe 4-5 hooks is all that can be found. So the next best option was to find a place with the largest amount of space out of the way for larger dinner parties or gatherings. Hence the bedroom became the logical choice.

This really is a standard thing as strange as it is to some. The bedroom is out of the way and it is large enough in most concerns to hold a number of coats and such. Just makes sense for those conditions.

One can find that this will hold true for most older homes no matter the economic level (well other than the old Estates, and they still dont have much space in the closets on the Foyer level)

Valhson

One of the Regulars
Back on Topic

The hats that truely changed my life were nothing we really talk about here. I grew up on the water and as such always wore a hat with a brim 360 deg. Mostly, in the "colder" months I had some bucket hat with a 2.5-3 inch brim. In the summer I wore the larger straw hats.

The best memory of hats that changed my life were the $8 "surfer style straw" hats from Walgreens or Eckards or some such. They never lasted a summer but they kept the sun off and that little bit of shade around the head sure helped mentally.

When I got out of high school and was traveling before the service, my family moved to Northwestern Pa (good ol snow belt) It was here I got my first fedora. A cheaply made "country gentleman" in green, and purchased in Buffalo. I got it for the winter thinking it would be enough. Boy-oh I was wrong! But when the wind stopped blowing, I would take the toque off and the on the hat would go on.

I had a Bee Cool western straw hat that saw Marshall Tucker, Charlie Daniels, Willie Nelson, T Graham Brown, Front Porch String Band, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Elvin Bishop, & a few more I am not recalling right now. That hat was there for lots of changes in my life...

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Life changing Beaver brand

In 1970, I spent most of the summer doing farm work and bought my first good hat — a Beaver brand cowboy hat.

Man I loved that hat.

Later that summer I was wearing it when I fell off a cliff at a church camp in the Black Hills in S. Dakota, tumbling over 40 feet and bouncing my head off rock-face.

The doctors who stitched me up later suggested I'd have never made it without the hat to save my head in the first landing.

Sadly,the hat was lost.

I suspect there's a grizzly up there still wearing that old hat.

But it saved my life that day.

True story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy