Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats With Musical Instruments

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
A harp is an amazing instrument!

One of the reasons I stopped playing guitar was due to my thumb on my fretting hand locking up, and what not. Now I just store my guitar in it's case, and rarely take it out.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Yeah, I'm getting a little concerned about that myself. Been playing more than 45 years but the last 7 months or so I've put in a lot of time sometimes 6-8 hours in one go and now I got a cyst on my left wrist and a little pain in my left elbow. When I was younger I could play for days at a time and up until now never had no problems - I'm wondering if it's the neck profile on this Martin - it's similar to what I've always used but takes more pressure to play even though the action set up is identical to my other dreads and they're all really easy to play. Not sure why that is - fret size on all of them is about the same, action is the same but the Martin takes more effort - not that much more that it's an issue with the guitar when I'm playing it but playing it for a lot of hours seems to add up into some physical effects.

A chain saw, of all things, did me in. The vibrations caused the tendons in my wrists to constrict the nerves. My fingers would get numb in my left hand after about ten minutes from twisting the wrist. For the harp you keep the wrists straight so its OK.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just discovered this thread! After lusting for an oval hole, and Collings out of my budget, I got This Kentucky Km272. I couldn't be happier! Shown with my Resistol San Antonio. The Mandolin arrived the day before Saint Patrick's day, in time for some jigs and reels while enjoying some Guiness Stout!
5235ea00f1e0073b92ed8961f8cf07e5.jpg
10c8fb497b8b67a396c7013140302c35.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Doctor Jones

Familiar Face
Due to the instrument I play, I'm nearly always wearing a hat while playing it!

Here I am back in the 1980s wearing a Feather Bonnet

V0Hhr4O.jpg

And nowadays, wearing a Balmoral Bonnet, a Robert Mackie that I bought back in the 1980s and is still in great condition

zKpdTfO.jpg

My go-to for piping gigs is the standard black Glengarry Bonnet, also by Robert Mackie

gEdNbYc.jpg

When not playing, and just hanging out at the Highland Games, it's a tweed Trilby

WGNKwof.jpg

Last edited:
I would like to contribute with a couple of older pics of hats and guitars.

i-5D9rGpb-M.jpg

i-Bt4kw95-M.jpg

i-rqCcvWW-M.jpg

Instrument with bald head.

i-PfvwKw6-M.jpg

Sharing the music.

i-X8GLdZC-M.jpg

Gotta love the blues and jazz of the 1900's.

Eric -
Really like the backlite silhouette in the window, Eric.

I dumped a bunch of older pics a while back but still have these.

Martin 00C 16DBRE (Double-aught cutaway, 16 series deep body, Rosewood, electronics). Stetson Twenty-five OR.

IMG_2580.JPG

Martin OM28V (orchestra model, 28 series, vintage neck). Hats are a Resistol Ft. Worth, Byer-Rolnick BR Beaver "30" & a Mallory by Stetson, Little Dogie.

IMG_2428.jpg

Martin OM28V & a Ritch Rand Tom Mix.

IMG_2785.jpg

Last edited:
I just discovered this thread! After lusting for an oval hole, and Collings out of my budget, I got This Kentucky Km272. I couldn't be happier! Shown with my Resistol San Antonio. The Mandolin arrived the day before Saint Patrick's day, in time for some jigs and reels while enjoying some Guiness Stout!
5235ea00f1e0073b92ed8961f8cf07e5.jpg
10c8fb497b8b67a396c7013140302c35.jpg

That's a beautiful instrument DD. I need to get my mandolin out!

V0Hhr4O.jpg

And nowadays, wearing a Balmoral Bonnet, a Robert Mackie that I bought back in the 1980s and is still in great condition

zKpdTfO.jpg

My go-to for piping gigs is the standard black Glengarry Bonnet, also by Robert Mackie

gEdNbYc.jpg

When not playing, and just hanging out at the Highland Games, it's a tweed Trilby

WGNKwof.jpg
Nice. My wife's 5 brothers are all pipers from Dearborn, MI. You have some beautiful kilts.

Desert dog

Really like the backlite silhouette in the window, Eric.

I dumped a bunch of older pics a while back but still have these.

Martin 00C 16DBRE (Double-aught cutaway, 16 series deep body, Rosewood, electronics). Stetson Twenty-five OR.

View attachment 161692

Martin OM28V (orchestra model, 28 series, vintage neck). Hats are a Resistol Ft. Worth, Byer-Rolnick BR Beaver "30" & a Mallory by Stetson, Little Dogie.

View attachment 161691

Martin OM28V & a Ritch Rand Tom Mix.

View attachment 161690
Beautiful guitars! Nice hats too. I am enjoying seeing the instruments among the hats here!

Desert dog

V0Hhr4O.jpg

zKpdTfO.jpg

gEdNbYc.jpg

WGNKwof.jpg
I really enjoyed these photos! Beautiful regalia!

In the music room/guitar shop playing the 6 string resonator guitar that I made from a vintage mahogany silverware box. The Stetson St. Regis homburg might be a too little highbrow for this lowborn instrument.
View attachment 162451

Love seeing the music room, Rick and great job on the resonator.

Did you have to take much wood off of the silverware box and did you make the neck and headstock?

humanshoes

One Too Many
Love seeing the music room, Rick and great job on the resonator.

Did you have to take much wood off of the silverware box and did you make the neck and headstock?
Thanks Bama. That room holds the workbench for instruments and another bench for leatherwork, plus a couple industrial leather sewing machines. Lot going on in there. I didn't take any wood off this box as all the sound comes from the resonator and not from the soundboard. Without a resonator I usually take the soundboards down to about 1 /16". I did have to add a lot of internal bracing for stability. I made the neck and fretboard using Martin specs and installed a Martin tension rod. Neck carving is tedious, yet satisfying work for me and my Veritas low-angle spokeshave is one of my best friends in the shop.

Thanks Bama. That room holds the workbench for instruments and another bench for leatherwork, plus a couple industrial leather sewing machines. Lot going on in there. I didn't take any wood off this box as all the sound comes from the resonator and not from the soundboard. Without a resonator I usually take the soundboards down to about 1 /16". I did have to add a lot of internal bracing for stability. I made the neck and fretboard using Martin specs and installed a Martin tension rod. Neck carving is tedious, yet satisfying work for me and my Veritas low-angle spokeshave is one of my best friends in the shop.
What does it weigh? Heavier than a cigar box, I'll bet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21