Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats with shorts

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Ever since I bought my first fedora last March, I've wondered just how acceptable it is to wear it with my shorts in the summer.

Opinions please....

-Kodiak

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Live the dream.
The English have done it with safari gear.
Modern Americans looks great in Panamas or stingy brim straws.
A dressier hat may not compliment shorts as well.
Personally, I rarely wear shorts, but I always wear a hat. ;)

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Hemingway Jones said:
Live the dream.
The English have done it with safari gear.
Modern Americans looks great in Panamas or stingy brim straws.
A dressier hat may not compliment shorts as well.
Personally, I rarely wear shorts, but I always wear a hat. ;)

I too try to avoid shorts like the plague, but it just gets too dang hot when I'm traveling to wear trousers/jeans. I almost always wear a hat of some sort (generally an Indy fedora) but I've always felt a bit funny when I'm wearing a t-shirt and shorts with my fedora :eusa_doh: And yeah, I know t-shirts are pretty close to banned on this forum :rolleyes:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Guilty.

I always take a hat to the beach or pool, and when there I wear shorts as well.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I never even would have considered wearing a hat with shorts to be strange. I do it all the time. But I think it has to be a straw one. Felt is a bit out of season for shorts.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Dinerman said:
I never even would have considered wearing a hat with shorts to be strange. I do it all the time. But I think it has to be a straw one. Felt is a bit out of season for shorts.

The current nice hat that I have is felt (no straws at all) so that might explain why a feel a bit wierd. Oh well... as HJ said, the brits did it ;)

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
I have worn both my panama and my Federation with shorts, and it didn't feel weird at all. One of my favorite outfits (non-vintage as it may be) for relaxing on a warm Fort Worth summer evening is my Federation, a Hawaiian or bowling shirt, khaki shorts, and my high-quality sandals.

I've come to the conclusion that the key to pulling off a "look" is confidence, not following fashion rules. I feel immensely comfortable in such an outfit, and I think it comes through to the outside world.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Some felt hats work with shorts pretty well, like the Australian slouch. The Commonwealth troops fought for three years in the desert wearing shorts and felt slouches! The style still survives in the safari style hats that I think look pretty smashing with shorts.

In any case, our own Hemingway pulls off a shorts with an Adventurebilt with considerable style!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Heck the boy scouts were founded on the concept.

Photos-BadenPowellInspectingCamps.jpg

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Hemingway Jones said:
Thanks, Jack! I forgot about those pics.

Kodiak, I wear linen; there's nothing cooler. ;)

Ah... I really like linen shirts myself. They go great in winter and summer. Nice shorts pic too...

-Kodiak

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Dress for the occasion. Wear what you like.

IMHO panamas always go good with shorts. Beaters go good with shorts.
Dressy dark shorts go good with felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo