Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hatter Wanted!

Mulceber

Practically Family
So I have a question for my fellow Loungers. If you happened to want a custom Homburg who would you have make it. I haven't seen anyone advertising their homburgs on the custom sites I've been to.
I'm sure most of the custom hatters can make one, I'm just wondering who does it more and who the Lounge thinks does the best?

Homburgs don't appear on many peoples' sites mainly because they're so formal. I'm sure Art could make one, although I've never seen him to a pencil roll. If I needed one, I'd go to him. He's guaranteed to make something classy, reasonably priced and unique.

I saw a Homburg custom on one of the hatter's websites earlier this week. Now to remember which one...

Was it Tumwater's site? They'd also be a good hatter for the job. -M

EggHead

Practically Family
So would a Fed IV Deluxe be a better made hat than Stetson Pinnacle (aside from it not being beaver)?
Has anyone had the two in hand to compare?

So would a Fed IV Deluxe be a better made hat than Stetson Pinnacle (aside from it not being beaver)?
Has anyone had the two in hand to compare?

I've only handled the Imperial Fed IV versions. My Moonstone Fed4 is currently at Buckaroo Hatters for a thin ribbon treatment & edge binding. Given Heritage is a step above what I have, I'd say yes.
I have a Sovereign Stetson Roadmaster & to me, the Imperial Akubra Campdraft is a better made hat...

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Bob at Black Sheep Hat Works can do the pencil curl.

tn_1200_WESTERN_BOWLER.jpg.jpg

Viktor

One of the Regulars
You could also consider Penman Hats, Tumwater Hat Company or The Falcon Park Hattery. The first two are operated by reputable members of the lounge. I cannot vouch for them personally (but I intend to commission a hat from the latter, when circumstances allow), although I can do that for Art Fawcett, who has made two fedoras for me that I'm quite pleased by. He's very easy to deal with, very responsive to communication and an excellent judge of color.

The Falcon Park Hattery cleaning & restoration prices are lower than many current services. Has anyone had a lid cleaned here?

DRB

One Too Many
Here is a Gary White Homburg, poor pic, but you get the idea.
HomburgbyGaryWhite.jpg

Optimo also can help.

Last edited:

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
FWIW, here's a quick catalogue of some of the great custom hat makers. I have only handled hats by the first two, but I've heard enough about the others to give some quick words on what they specialize in.

Art Fawcett at Vintage Silhouettes - Specializes in Golden Era styles (high, untapered crown), known for his creative ribbon treatments and excellent felt finishes. Truly outstanding customer service and communication. Avg. price: $385.

Graham Thompson at Optimo Hat Co. - Amazing quality hats and finishes akin to that of VS, with styles more geared to modern trends (lower, more tapered crowns). Avg. price: $550-650

Tony B. at Tumwater Hats - Specializes in vintage styles from the 20's to the 50's. Known for his creative styles and triple bow treatments. I personally cannot comment on his finishing. Avg. price: $275-300

John Penman at Penman Hats - Specializes in Indy styles that are movie accurate. I personally cannot comment on his finishing. Avg. price: $250-425

Major Moore at Buckaroo Hatters - Specializes in period accurate Western styles. I personally cannot comment on his finishing. I'm not sure of his prices. I didn't see them on his site, and I've never ordered from him.

Others have mentioned Gary White, Falcon Park Hattery and Black Sheep Hat Works, but I don't have enough information on them to give a fair representation of what they do.

Cheers,

HNTrail

New in Town
Thanks to all of you! I'm checking all the Hatters out and I'll keep you posted as to my choice!

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Take advantage of the best hatters doing what they do best. Get the first one from Art Fawcett and then get the 5 3/4" brim western from Mike Moore. Both are active members here with hundreds of amazing hats to see on this site alone and you won't find a better deal anywhere else. Welcome to the Lounge

Best advice yet.

....and don't forget about our own "TonyB" as well.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Bob from black sheep hatworks is currently working on one for me....his attention go detail is second to none. He will really go the extra mile to make sure you are satisfied. And he is no stranger to those wide brims.

Once you get yours from Bob, be sure to post the pics and thoughts. Would be interested to see their work inside and out.

Cheers!

Dan

Last edited:

HNTrail

New in Town
Okay fellas, I’ve decided to go with Bob at Black Sheep Hat works and so far, dealing with Bob has been GREAT!

I’m sorry I didn’t update this thread sooner to let you know who I chose to go with.

The hat is on the block now, so I should be getting it relatively soon. When it arrives, I’ll take pictures of the box it comes in and all different angles. The hat I decided to go with is a rather large Australian style hat. I say large because it has to be able to fit my 24” head as well as have a 5” brim and not be stretched beyond the normal thickness of beaver felt.

Again, thank you all for your help… I’ve got a custom fedora that I want to have made sometime this summer and I’ll be shopping all the hatters you’ve talked about before I decide on who I’ll use, but Bob is making a good impression on me!

One day I’ve gotta get one from this Art fellow you all speak so highly of! I’ve seen some of his work and boy is it beautiful!

Till the hat arrives folks!

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Black Sheep Hat Works should have a gallery thread. I know at least three or four people that have one now, anyone want to start one?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I thought of it, but couldn't think of a catchy thread title! "Black Sheep Brigade" was my first thought, but then I figured it oxymoronic for a company whose motto is "stand out from the flock" :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari