Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have I made a mistake? ( jacket on order )

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I am 49. Himel Nipissing Rider and Aero Bootlegger. Sure works for me...

Nip7.jpg

BL5.jpg

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Adding one more point. I got a schott perfecto a couple of years back. No one has looked twice at it. Not a single weird look or comment in four years. I think cross zips to most people are just a fashion item. Sure, you’ll see bikers wear them but that’s a rarity at least where I am. The most common cross zip I see will be on girls that picked them up at Zara or something like that. You’ll get the occasional punk or metal head as well but that’s about it.

rockandrollrabbit

One of the Regulars
I think you have your answer, but I'll add to it and try to put it in a different way.

So often, when people talk in terms of whether something suits or looks good on them, they say, for example, "That's you," or "That isn't me," or "That's me." When people talk about whether somebody pulls something off, this is exactly what they mean.

But here's the thing. When wearing, say, a jacket in a confident manner, such that it seems to belong on you, it eventually does. It goes from "That's not me," to where it becomes you. Or perhaps even You become the jacket. A transubstantiation of mojo, if you will.

That's about the closest I can get to what I'm trying to say. Wear what calls to you.

Edward

Bartender
My cordovan Bootlegger was my first leather Aero jacket, and it's probably the most versatile of all the jackets I own, even beyond a standard halfbelt. The only thing I would change is I plan to have it relined now it' s eleven years old, and the wool liner got a bit mothed. It's one design I would absolutely consider buying unchanged in another colour as well, absolutely love it.

abone

A-List Customer
I'm 65. A year ago I went to Seattle to visit Thurston Bros. As I was determined to walk away with a jacket that day, Carrie brought 10 or so jackets to the fitting that she thought I'd like and would fit. One of them was an Aero Hooch Hauler. If it hadn't been too small, that's the jacket I would have left with. The wife was with me and she loved it too. The Hooch is an understated cross zip like the Bootlegger, but with a little more pizazz on the back.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
You need to be comfortable with it. While many here have no issues wearing their jackets, you have to wear yours. So if you're going to buy it and then have it sit in the closet, well that's a waste of money and time. We can certainly give words of inspiration and encouragement, but you ultimately need to put it on. The fact that you're already questioning it is a sign. Now it's up to you which way you go. If you like the jacket and it's a confidence issue, you need to work on that. You know yourself best. If you think you're going to be insecure about it, change the order. If you want my opinion, if you're worried what people are going to think about you, especially based on the angle of the zipper you're wearing, then the jacket has nothing to do with it.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I’m going to go somewhat against the grain (leather pun). I feel sort of the same way as you. I feel a little self conscious in a cross zip. I realize no one else cares but it is on my mind. Therefor i go center zip. Everyone here totally pulls it off and i’m sure i would. Anyhow i do agree with the statement that a bootlegger is relatively conservative.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Jeff Goldblum is in his sixties and wears a cross zip.

View attachment 308307

I have no opinion on Jeff Goldblum otherwise, but this self-conscious look doesn't appeal to me at all. I do think it is true that cross zips don't suit eveyone - age irrelevant. They don't suit me and I got them out of my system by the end of the 1980's. But if you want to wear one and the look works, I think the Bootlegger is one of the best I've seen. There have been several posted here that look amazing. It's almost enough to bring me back to them.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
If you are not sure about the cross zip, then probably a cross button would look the same but tamer and perhaps a bit more formal, can button only one button doesnt have to start from the bottom like a zipper

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
If you are not sure about the cross zip, then probably a cross button would look the same but tamer and perhaps a bit more formal, can button only one button doesnt have to start from the bottom like a zipper

It's so much a taste thing. isn't it? To me buttons would seem pretty ostentatious on that pattern but a nice period look. The look I particularly dislike is the cross zip, 1980's rock-n-roller look. The Bootlegger certainly avoids that particular image.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
It's so much a taste thing. isn't it? To me buttons would seem pretty ostentatious on that pattern but a nice period look. The look I particularly dislike is the cross zip, 1980's rock-n-roller look. The Bootlegger certainly avoids that particular image.
In reality you probably only see 1 one or 2 buttons, the rest just button holes... ok you might see a bit more buttons if worn unbuttoned ... but when I wear jacket with buttons i tend to button one at least or two, while jacket with zip i decide to wear it open more since it has to start from the bottom everytime, most likely i half zip it when start wearing it, but after unzip it when sitting or driving, then I dont bother to zip it again for the rest of the day.

Last edited:

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Ah, and interesting conundrum indeed. For me, I've never been a rocker or into the biker look, but one day I just sorta got curious about crosszips which are totally not my style, but one day I just grew curious. I went on a hunt for a minimalist double rider, and of course wound up finding jackets like the Bootlegger which I thought long and hard about buying. Anyway, I eventually was able to find some jackets locally in a similar style and tried them on and then it clicked.

The Bootlegger was one of the jackets that inspired me to get a crosszip. Trust me when I say it doesn't look like a biker jacket, like really at all, it gives off a totally different energy. The lack of rivets, the skinnier lapels, the half belt back, all that, the jacket looks and feels more of a vintage look than rocker/biker. You'd more likely wear it with a flat cap hat than a chain on your wallet with it. I found that the lapels made the jacket actually look a bit more dressy and classy, and the half belt gives it a classic, vintage design.

Showing some of the younger people I know, they actually said it looks vintage and old timey feel, a far cry from the Perfecto type jackets they wear.

I'm not 40, sorta in that tweener age group of I don't sag my pants or wear skinny jeans, but I also don't want to wear khakis and button up cotton shirts, so I didn't want my jacket to scream old guy trying to be hip.

But I get where you're coming from, buying my crosszip was very outside my norm of purchases as I tend to be pretty conservative and simple with the way I dress.

At the end of the day it's your style and what you feel comfortable with wearing. I dont know where you are, but maybe find some local stores that sell jackets and try them on and see how they feel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch