Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you ever had a stranger photograph you...when you were dressed vintage?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
The last of the drive-in flea markets is the Rhodium (sp?) in Torrance. The three big antiques flea markets are at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Pasadena City College and Long Beach Veterans Stadium (Long Beach City College)*. They're held monthly. It was at the latter where I saw Cindy Crawford and Dennis Franz. Then there's the three big swap meets held every weekend. They're all in Orange County. There's the one at Golden West College in Huntington Beach (I'm just a couple of miles down the road from there), Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa, and Cypress College in Cypress. Sadly, OCC and Cypress College are not what they used to be leaving Golden West as the only good one. I was just there today and picked up a few things.

Travel Tip: If you're in Long Beach for any Queen Mary events, you might also want to squeeze in the antiques flea market at Vet's Stadium (near the airport) which is held on the 3rd Sunday of every month.

Isn't there still a drive-in one in Pico Rivera?

swinggal

One Too Many
Happened to me in LA last year with Matt Deckard and another friend Nathan Marsak coming out of Grand Central Station. I saw myself on a photographers website as someone I know saw me in the pic and tagged me on Facebook. Was weird to not even be aware that they were there taking the pic.

Justin B

One Too Many
Had a great weekend out trooping for a good cause (The Princess Leah Foundation, PM me for info). In costume I had hundreds of pictures taken...also oddly after I kitted down and was kicked back in my fedora had a couple taken too.

Edward

Bartender
I'm not clear on something. Did she walk by or did she stop in your stall? If she did stop, I might have fawned over her a bit and asked for a picture. If she just walked by, then no one has the right to get in anyone's face about taking a picture. It's not illegal, and when you're a celebrity, it's part of what you sign on for.

I don't know what US law is on that, but over here even if she was just walking by in the public street, she might well have a legal right to privacy. Of course, the people who really make it worse for themselves are those who arrvie everywhere with huge dark glasses on, surrounded by minders screaming "no photos!". Those srots always strike me as a clear case of "the lady doth protest too much".

It used to also be expected that if someone invited you over to their house, you would show up dressed well. A sign of respect. I have heard that this is still the case in Southern Europe and some place in South America. I'll be fine if I go as I usually dress if I am invited to someone's house for dinner. :D

I'm inclined to agree..... though equally there is a fine line. Arriving from work is one thing, though if invited round for a casual dinner on a Saturday evening I would be careful not to significantly outdress my host, which cold be as rude as making no effort in some cases.

The handle hair on men really is lousy.
My uncle passed a few kindney stones. Believe me, they don't go away easily without a lot of yelling and screaming. :p

Jinkies, aye. I had one that was about a sixteenth of an inch about eighteen months ago. Damn, did that hurt. My appendix, which was a couple of hours from bursting, chronic food poisoning, nothing came close to a tiny little kidney stone. Fortunately they were able to put me on meds so I could pee it out and I didn't need laser teatment or surgery. But oh, my, did it hurt. Only time I've ever actually collapsed in A&E.

A bit off topic I know, but reading about your experience with a punter in the 50's diner asking if you owned the place, I thought I would just say that I had to pop into Sainsburys on the way home from seeing friends at the beach last weekend, and I was wearing my Boater. A little old lady came up to me and asked if I could get her some breaded ham from the Deli counter! She thought I was staff!

Bless! :D

lol I suppose a lot of people, even of some age, over here have only ever seen them worn by butchers....

Years ago, when I was still in high school, I was a stereotypical mall goth. Lately I've been interested in steampunk as well as vintage styling. I defiantly agree with the 'attention seeking ' observation.

Is it just me or do guys get photographed far more than the gals?

When I was a teenage punk there probably was a degree of confrontationalism in the look (had to be in Northern Ireland, kind of a conservative place...). These days I know so little (and care less) about what the normals are into or how they dress, it often takes me a while to figure out, if I notice at all, why they are staring or sniggering. [huh]

I think the men get photographed more as we stick out more.... more often than not, more girls will make an effort of some sort, whereas in recent years it has been considered by the mainstream for the most part to be "unmanly" to care to much about one's appearance or to make an effort with clothes.

I totally agree. It is a question of respect, especially in church. It doesn't take much to look neat and tidy. Plus it really irks me in restaurants when the waiter and i are sticking out like a sore thumb because we are the smartest dressed people in the place!

Mixed feelings on the church clothes thing, really. I agree there is an element of respect, though I have no time for some of the nonsense I heard growing up - "You'd dress up if you were going to see the Queen, but you're going to God's house and he's so much more important...." etc. Fortunately my folks were reasonably tolerant. I don't think I'd wear the Hitler T-shirt to church now, though to be fair to my teenage self it was satirical rather than pro-Hitler. A little respect is always a good thing, though it's horrible to hear of folks who wanted to go to a church but didn't feel they could because they didn't have the "right" clothes.

seems a little creepy to have strangers stop you and ask to take your photo. Unless of course the whole point of someone wearing vintage is to be noticed...

It's never bothered me. I do it for me, noone else... and to be honest I don't much care what anyone else thinks of it, within reason. I don't mind having a photo taken if people ask politely. Doesn't cost me anything, and if it raises a glimmer of interest in vintage style in someone else, all the better.

TCMfan25

Practically Family
I was photographed while at my local "down town" walking with my friends, I was in a Vintage Boater, Summer weight wool sixties tan three piece, specs, and a vintage yellow bow tie. My friend was sporting his 40's "Light Weight Safari" it is a dark tan fur felt with riveted vents, unlined, Black Grosgrain but then over the grosgrain there is a peach ribbon like the ones on some panama's... It is beautiful! but yes we were photographed. Also while in macy's I was asked what shirt and tie went together best by an older man, I thought to tell him I was no employee but I chose to help him out.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
On the train back home from York a couple weeks ago I noticed the girl in front of me had her laptop out and was taking my picture on her webcam. She then posted it to someone she was skyping with, with something to the effect of 'Check out the 'tache on the guy behind me'.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
On the train back home from York a couple weeks ago I noticed the girl in front of me had her laptop out and was taking my picture on her webcam. She then posted it to someone she was skyping with, with something to the effect of 'Check out the 'tache on the guy behind me'.

If she had done that to me, I would have really given her something to look at.

BigFitz

Practically Family
The only time I've had someone ask to take pic of me is when I'm wearing my Fire Departement dress uniform. Of course it isn't vintage but is of vintage style since the uniform hasn't changed in at least 60 years. Sort of looks like Ralph Cramden's bus driver's uniform.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Ok, on the other hand, I have been having coffee around the University of Minnesota up here and I have seen some really interesting people that I would like to have taken a photo of. I was too timid to ask them for the photo, so no photo was taken. I would feel like a pervert if I was taking a picture of anyone without their consent. Houses and public building I don't mind taking pictures of. I never do any photo taking on the sly though, I would just feel totally weird.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
I've had a photographer take pictures of my old car without asking me at a non-event. I happened to be in the photo, but my face was blurred when I later saw the photos in a car magazine. :rolleyes:
Can't complain too loud I guess, but it'd be nice to know when someone's going to take a photo of you and your ride. [huh]

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I was strolling in my neighborhood a week or so ago, and a gentleman stopped me to ask if I would pose for a photo. Seems he liked the cut of my jib.

Here's the photo he took (the only thing I asked in return for posing was a copy of the photo):

meapple.jpg

Terry292

New in Town
I was coming out of a local restaurant a month or so ago when a woman stopped me and asked if she could take a photo. I wasn't dressed particularly vintage, other than my Panama hat and suspenders. Turns out she's a local painter, and she had been driving around looking for subjects for a show she'll be having in a local gallery this winter. Guess I'll have to check out the show to see if I've suddenly become immortal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo