Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you ever ironed a leather jacket?

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I have read that it can be done putting some cloth between the leather and your iron. I have a jacket that developed a wrinkle on the back during the shipping. :eusa_doh: Not a big deal but I wonder if it could be fixed.

Ok :eek: I thought water could damage the finish.
I it does, it ain't leather :)Look at posts of beautiful old jackets here. They've all been soaked (some intentionally) over and over and in the end, they look better for it. Just don't soak it and stick it in the dryer on high and leave it. You can use heat a little at a time, but water followed by high heat is generally not good as it will dry the hell out of it and likely shrink too. Take it slow and use common sense. Good leather can take mucho abuse.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
By dryer do you mean a hair dryer or that thing that it is like a washing machine? You know, in this country the later doesn't even exit. [huh] You hang your loundry outside and it is dry in a matter of hours.

By dryer do you mean a hair dryer or that thing that it is like a washing machine? You know, in this country the later doesn't even exit. [huh] You hang your loundry outside and it is dry in a matter of hours.
You could use either. Carefully. I've used the clothes dryer on goat and FQHH. No problems. Just be careful.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Aerojoe;

Hi...........just get the back of the jacket really wet and, like ButteMT61 says, massage it for a few minutes. If that doesn't seem to work, wet it again and wear the jacket inside the house zipped up. The idea here is to attempt to get the jacket to conform to your body more and get rid of the wrinkle. While the jacket is drying while wearing, do some physical activity (pushups, shadow box etc..).Let your body heat dry the jacket naturally. Butte's recommendations for drying will work of course but without knowing how the jacket fits currently, I wouldn't use any electric induced heat. If the wetting, massaging and wearing still doesn't work....repeat.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,
coffee

Last edited:
Indeed Coffee! And a good, hot vindaloo will help one sweat the leather into submission too. Followed by a number of cold pints. Oh, to dream of fall...

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
One thing I have done to get a wrinkle out is to dampen the wrinkled piece of leather, then place the part you want to flatten on a table top (glass or marble, or granite counter top, anything that is not porous), place a book on top of it wrapped in plastiwrap, and stack a few more on top. Let it set for a few hours, or over night.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Whatever you do dont iron it! heat will shrink it, I know this for a fact, not done it on a leather jacket but I did try to iron a belt, but PLEASE dont ask why. Also I put a pair of soggy boots near a radiator and they came out with the foot part looking like Aladdin slippers.
Basically, heat and leather dont mix. it will dry it out and may crack. A warm room but not hot, should be ok.
Johnny T

I have to disagree Johnny. While I too have seen some leather killed by heat after bing wet, it was mostly cheaper cold weather gear back east. Many of us here have wet and dried jackets with no Ill effects. Just gotta be careful.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Aerojoe......when you, ButteMT61, Hoosier Daddy and I go to Joakim's house in Sweden to run around a strange tree and chase lambs, we want your leather jacket to be looking good.

It sounds like if we were going to invade Joakim's house :D

I have been massaging the wrinkles with my finger tips and just a drop of water but no luck. :confused: Not a big deal as I stated before, but now I feel challenged.

Have you ever tried applying hands cream or any other thing?

Regarding leather and irons, this woman here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAdElsqHitE is using one at the end of the video.

I didn't dare because I don't know how much heat is too much heat for leather.

You could use some leather treatment, but you then risk the color being different in that area. You might then have to apply it to the whole jacket. Get it wet.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
You could use some leather treatment, but you then risk the color being different in that area. You might then have to apply it to the whole jacket.

Yes, that's what I thought. Not good.

Get it wet.

How much water? soaked? In my first attempt I just poured a couple of drops and I applied pressure with my tips.

BTW, I used distilled water :D I thought it would be better than tap water because it hasn't any chlorine.

Yes, that's what I thought. Not good.How much water? soaked? In my first attempt I just poured a couple of drops and I applied pressure with my tips. BTW, I used distilled water :D I thought it would be better than tap water because it hasn't any chlorine.
Git 'er wet. Wet! The best looking jackets here have seen the saturation point numerous times. Even in acid rain! But distilled is good. No salts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner