have you tried Scotch Broth?

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by green papaya, Dec 1, 2019 at 2:37 AM.

1. green papaya

green papaya One Too Many

Scotch Broth is a traditional Scottish meal - halfway between a soup and stew. It's a perfect comforting winter warmer. The lamb should be scraggy and fatty (don't be squeamish about fat - it's essential to this dish), and you can use any combination of root vegetables that you like.

I havent seen it in the grocery store in the US, Campbell's soup use to sell it here.

2019-11-30_183538.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 2:47 AM
    Hurricane Jack likes this.
  2. galopede

galopede One of the Regulars

I was brought up on Heinz Scotch Broth!

3. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Most UK kids were. In the years following WW2 and right up until the sixties, families had to watch the pennies, no food ever went to waste and broth was a good, nutritious way of re-serving leftovers. Scotch Broth in particular was usually the first meal a sickly child could keep down. My mother always made her own broth and she used to bulk it up with suet dumplings.

green papaya likes this.
  4. We had Southern Burgoo which was thicker & could be made from chicken, pork, or mutton or a combination; best if pulled or shredded instead of sliced or cubed. Lots of root veggies. I still enjoy a good bowl this time of yr.

IMG_6587.JPG

green papaya and Bamaboots like this.
  5. green papaya

green papaya One Too Many

I like thick hearty soups like this, it's a complete meal with some bread or crackers on a cold rainy day

Hurricane Jack likes this.
  6. Jalapeño cornbread, not the cornbread that tastes like yellow cake.