Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian Shirts - Aloha Shirts

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I also posted this in the Thrift thread because there doesn't seem to be much interest/participation in this thread any more -- but if someone happens to enjoy viewing this and has info to contribute, I'll be glad. :)

No label. Feels like crepe rayon. I'm thinking '60s/'70s on this one. [huh]

DSCN1814.jpg

DSCN1815.jpg

DSCN1816.jpg

DSCN1817.jpg

SheBear74

Practically Family
As if collecting sewing patterns wasn't enough now I want to go in search of Hawaiian shirts! I am down in the sub-tropic part of Florida so all the thrift stores have tons of Hawaiian style shirts. I will have to start looking through to see what I can find ;)

I do have a question. So if you where to wear a Hawaiian shirt with dress/khaki shorts what kind of shoes would you wear?

SheBear74 said:
I do have a question. So if you where to wear a Hawaiian shirt with dress/khaki shorts what kind of shoes would you wear?

With Long pants such as chinos I tend to wear saddle shoes but there are some single color shoes I think called Bucks that would go well. It's casual so a casual or sporty shoe is ok.

With shorts probably walking shoes or possibly sandels in really hot weather.

SheBear74

Practically Family
I found this in the local thrift store, I love the print, and love that it's at least made in the USA ;)

Sorry about all the wrinkles...

utf-8BSU1HMDAyODktMjAxMDA2MDEtMTczM.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAyOTItMjAxMDA2MDEtMTczM.jpg

davestlouis

Practically Family
There are some great shirts in this thread...I've finally gotten enough gray in my hair that I feel OK wearing shirts like this, and I've started buying a couple. Vintage doesn;t work for me as a rule because I wear an XXL in sport shirts and 18-35 in dress shirts, so new stuff it has to be.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
but that had me wondering what sort of outerwear may be worn over a Hawaiian shirt. Surely something must be appropriate for when it cools down in the evening?

A pretty common look for 'formal' day and evening events here in Hawaii is an Aloha shirt under the standard blue blazer.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Here's another that seems like a real oldie to me. Rayon. a little ragged inside and at a couple seams, but totally wearable. Completely faded tag. Colors are much more 'salmon' than hot pink when viewed in person.

DSCN2847.jpg

DSCN2849.jpg

DSCN2850.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
(tap, tap, tap.... Is this thing on??)

Well, anyway, here's another one I'll throw in here; one of the loneliest little threads on The Fedora Lounge. :( [huh]

Y'see, what I've been hoping for is info/feedback/discussion about collectible vintage aloha shirts from those of you who really know about the topic. It may be that I've been scoring some good stuff - or junk - I'd like to know what you think.

DSCN2866.jpg

DSCN2867.jpg

CLShaeffer

New in Town
Interesting thread.

I live on the Big Island and, thus, avoid loud Aloha shirts like the plague. I have 1 - a nice rayon black and white floral - that I keep for dressing up but that's it. I have simple floral print t-shirts (one color on black) that I occasionally wear to evoke the affect of Aloha shirts when I am on stage, but for the most part I wouldn't be caught dead in an Aloha shirt here. At least not one that I can afford.

There are generally 3 reasons to wear vibrant Aloha shirts here if you are Caucasian: you're a tourist (usually accompanied by a sun hat, camera, and lobster red skin), its a "formal" occasion, or you're an entertainer. Women have a lot more leeway than men but the same is generally true for Aloha print dresses.

Locals tend to wear much more muted, even dark, colors and simpler patterns. Brightly colored shirts with above the knee shorts says "mainland transplant" louder than just about anything else. The shorts alone were enough, but the loud shirt seals it

But board shorts, or below the knee cargo shorts, slipahs and a muted aloha shirt fits right in as slightly dressed up. Not common, but OK.

Adding slacks would be overkill unless its a formal occasion- or you are an entertainer. If long pants are needed a local would wear jeans.

This is all today's standards, of course. Nothing to do with vintage style. Most of the older locals DO appreciate the vintage stuff, though. You'd have an easier time getting away with a vintage print shirt than the new cheapies. You'd still stand out, but at least its evident to some of the older crowd that you know Hawaii.

For vintage style that is still alive today look at the Palaka shirts. They're still everywhere. While they used to be common, everyday work shirts they are now considered more formal. But they are also a statement of continuity in Hawaiian culture. I see them all the time - albeit mostly on people older than 40 - at beach parties and informal gatherings all the time. Also being worn as buisness attire. Oddly, they are generally left untucked EXCEPT by the cowboys when worn with the rest of the cowboy ensemble: jeans, leather belt (minus the Texas buckle), and cowboy hat and boots.

Here's an interesting history of the Palaka shirts: http://hawaiipalaka.wordpress.com/2009/04/29/a-reflection-on-the-checker-past-of-hawaiian-denim/

The red/white shirt seems to be the most common these days but there are also black/white and blue/white Palaka shirts.

I don't know if Palaka shirts would register as "Hawaiian" for most folks on the mainland, but its a fascinating style: both modern and vintage, as at home today as it was in the Golden Era. Palaka shirts are also acceptable in long sleeves, which Aloha shirts aren't.

Just my observations of what I see around me here. I'm certainly no expert. :)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I enjoyed reading your take on it, CL. The current, authentic Hawaiian perspective. Thanks for taking the time to share!!

I'm mostly fascinated by the vintage shirts lately and am always on the lookout. I know I missed the craze by a couple years, wherein the prices and speculating soared - but that's OK with me.

I do continue to seek more info about how to reliably distinguish new from '80s from '70s from '60s and so on...

CLShaeffer

New in Town
Here are a couple quick search results I found for identifying vintage Aloha shirts.

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/mens-clothing/hawaiian-shirts

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Identify-Vintage-Hawaiian-Shirts

I'll keep an eye out and, when I get a chance, ask my roommate - who is (almost) a vintage Hawaiian. :)

All I really know about them can be summed up as: make sure the pocket matches the pattern and don't tuck them in unless you're getting paid to. :)

Leaving shirts untucked isn't so much a matter of style as it is a matter of staying cool in the tropics, by the way. While tucking them in is a social faux pas, the same is true of ANY shirt here. Its a clear indication that either you do not live in the tropics or, if you do live here, that you are set in your mainland dressing habits - and likely other mainland habits, as well.

I see these guys all the time. Shorts too short and belted (or worse, elastic waisted), bright red or blue aloha shirt, white shoes, white socks and a light colored panama hat. They are usually agitated about something or talking loudly on the cellphone. Its easy to see that they are missing both the style and the point.

They are called Aloha shirts for a reason. Just like it takes a certain attitude to pull off wearing a 30's era suit and fedora, a different attitude to pull off a vintage safari style outfit or hollywood style "vintage" adventurer looks.... pulling off an Aloha shirt, in Hawaii at least, requires Aloha.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the links. I've been surfing (HA! Aloha shirts. Surfing. I crack me up.) the 'net for info. I'll enjoy studying those sites.

CLShaeffer said:
make sure the pocket matches the pattern...
Actually, I have found that even on valuable vintage ones, this isn't always the case. But it is nice when they pattern match. :)

CLShaeffer said:
don't tuck them in unless you're getting paid to. :)
True! And funny, because there have been a couple times when I've been doing my caricature gigs and I had to tuck in order to put on a belly pack to hold my pens and money taken in while vending.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana