Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian Shirts - Aloha Shirts

CLShaeffer

New in Town
Canadave said:
Whatcha doin' on stage?

Playing classic rock, rock and/or blues in one form or another. I play in 3 different acts that plays... well, essentially Hawaiian party music. Hawaiians know how to party - its a way of life here - and while every like classic hawaiian music, its the "Mustang Sally" and "Squeeze Box" that gets everyone up and dancing.

:) Its fun. Even the tourists love it. Hawaiian music is great at events and whatnot, but even the tourists get tired of it after a while. Throwing a kickin' rock act in there seems to do well for certain events.

HarpPlayerGene said:
I also posted this in the Thrift thread because there doesn't seem to be much interest/participation in this thread any more -- but if someone happens to enjoy viewing this and has info to contribute, I'll be glad. :)

No label. Feels like crepe rayon. I'm thinking '60s/'70s on this one. [huh]

DSCN1814.jpg

DSCN1815.jpg

DSCN1816.jpg

DSCN1817.jpg

I think you are likely in the 60s with that one. It looks to be some type of bark cloth but it could be a synthetic representation.
My father brought back one that is similar with the coin buttons from his honeymoon in 1964 so it is likely around there some time. I have to see if that thing still fits me. :D

HarpPlayerGene said:
(tap, tap, tap.... Is this thing on??)

Well, anyway, here's another one I'll throw in here; one of the loneliest little threads on The Fedora Lounge. :( [huh]

Y'see, what I've been hoping for is info/feedback/discussion about collectible vintage aloha shirts from those of you who really know about the topic. It may be that I've been scoring some good stuff - or junk - I'd like to know what you think.

DSCN2866.jpg

DSCN2867.jpg

The International Market Place hasn't been around for a ton of years so I could call that one somewhere around the 80s. I have several like it from the time I was there then. :D

HarpPlayerGene said:
Wore this one today. I'm thinkin' '70s. Am I getting the hang of this?...

DSCN2954.jpg

DSCN2955.jpg

That actually might be a bit older. Waltah Clarke's is one of my favorite brands. I have a bark cloth one with a label like yours from the decade before when the label was green. I'll have to get some pictures of it.
Waltah is just one of those names that is definitely Hawaiian. lol

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I'd love to see it!

Older, hm. Cool! Dig the BIG collars. This one's made of heavier material, with a lot of 'body' to it. The kind of thing you'd plop on at night on the beach after surfing all day. :)

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Maui5-11124.jpg

Thought I'd revive this thread because I'm the last guy that ever thought he'd wear an Aloha shirt! Went to Maui for a wedding last week, was kidnapped by a band of left over 60's hippies that did too much drugs and thought they were in Bora Bora. They held me captive for two days all the while making me wear Aloha shirts and gave me only Pina Colada's to live on. When they released me the day before the wedding I suffered from acute "stockholm Syndrome" and ran out to buy an Aloha shirt...haven't taken it off yet. Oh and that's my wife.

See what you've been missing all these years? That looks great on you, especially with the Panama. This is a great time to revive this thread, being summer here in the States and all.

By the way, you may want to take that off and wash it at some point. ;)

WineGuy

A-List Customer
See what you've been missing all these years? That looks great on you, especially with the Panama. This is a great time to revive this thread, being summer here in the States and all.

By the way, you may want to take that off and wash it at some point. ;)

I know, I really caught the bug, got home and ordered a book on collecting vintage aloha shirts and snagged a mint Duke Kahanamoku shirt from early 60's on ebay at the same time. I post a pic shortly. That shirt came off but had to wait till the weekend to hand wash it because of the rayon.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
That's a great photo WineGuy. You're wife is very pretty - you make a great couple. :)
Maui5-11124.jpg

Thought I'd revive this thread because I'm the last guy that ever thought he'd wear an Aloha shirt! Went to Maui for a wedding last week, was kidnapped by a band of left over 60's hippies that did too much drugs and thought they were in Bora Bora. They held me captive for two days all the while making me wear Aloha shirts and gave me only Pina Colada's to live on. When they released me the day before the wedding I suffered from acute "stockholm Syndrome" and ran out to buy an Aloha shirt...haven't taken it off yet. Oh and that's my wife.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
I love Hawaiin shirts! I have one with a palm tree/ pineapple/ orange/ lemon/ butterfly-print by Louis London that I've had for ages.

1429_medium.jpg

Jan

One of the Regulars
I had a Hawaiian shirt "phase" back when I was in middle school. It's slowly coming back, but I haven't been on the hunt for any vintage ones, as they usually come up a little short on me.

But here's one I have.

c934e4dd.jpg

Nothing special, but I dig the colors.

Alex

Practically Family
I frequently wear hawaiian shirts in the summer. Here's a few. None vintage, but I hope to acquire one...;)
0315011434.jpg

0403011206.jpg

0413011503.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk