Hawaiian Shirts - Aloha Shirts

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Chamorro, Jul 8, 2004.

1. cherry lips

cherry lips Call Me a Cab

Wow! One of the coolest I've ever seen!

2. cherry lips

Thanks for the request! I will when I get a pic this summer (though my shirt isn't "real", and is pretty tight!)
    ^Cute!

3. SGB

SGB One of the Regulars

Great shirt, classic well known design. Sounds like you had fun at the wedding, and welcome to Hawaiian shirt wearing.
    I recently did a count of my Aloha shirts and was surprised it's over 300, I'm constantly adding more so I guess I should have expected that number. I buy vintage when I can find them at antique stores and vintage shops, then sell/trade them to Bailey's Antiques in Hawaii. I only wear repros anymore since tearing a good vintage one, which really hurt as it was real nice one.
    Enjoy wearing them, and enjoy the great art on them, as that is really what it is, art.

SGB

4. WineGuy

WineGuy A-List Customer

Thanks SGB! Could you post some pics of your favorites, and if you have any vintage 30's or 40's I'd really love to see some pics too!

5. Keep 'em coming, guys, I will get some pics of mine when it warms up a bit more here!
    Looking very "tropo", Alex.

6. Alex

Alex Practically Family

Thanks cherry lips and Perry!

7. Hugh Beaumont

Hugh Beaumont One of the Regulars

Love the Aloha Shirt.

I grew up on Maui and used to collect them. Sold most of them to help finance my move to the mainland in 2004 :( Had some classics from the 40's and 50's. Still regret getting rid of them. Oh well. I now wear repro Kamehameha, Avanti, Paradise Found.

WineGuy, I spent nearly 20 years in the wedding industry on Maui as a videographer. Curious to know who your wedding crew was. Is your wife Filipina? My wife is Filipina (born and raised on Maui). Looks like you were on Kaanapali Beach...maybe right outside the Hyatt?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  8. WineGuy

WineGuy A-List Customer

You nailed the location Hugh, but my wife is Chinese from Canton. Photo courtesy iphone. There was a professional photographer there for the wedding but I've not seen the pics yet and don't know his name...guy in his thirties and shaved head.

9. Hugh Beaumont

Awesome! Who was your officiant? Miss my old friends in the wedding industry. Congrats!

10. WineGuy

WineGuy A-List Customer

Not my officiant, we're married 26 years, but the wedding of our friend was held in an old church in Lahaina and I don't recall the cleric name...sorry!

11. Hugh Beaumont

oops...sorry about the misunderstanding. 26 years? Your wife doesn't look a day over 30!

12. mrbieler

mrbieler New in Town

LOL. Lived on Oahu from 1979~1983. Had a nice collection going which I wore into the ground. Regret not getting more. Still have a small collection of Kahala's and Reyn Spooners. My favorites are the pull over Reyns.

13. Gene

Gene Practically Family

Here's two of my favorites.

This one's 40's or 50's. Wooden buttons, silky, double-stitching where the sleeve meets the shirt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one's 50's or early 60's, feels like linen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. flix

flix New in Town

This is one of mine, it's a repro

[​IMG]

15. cherry lips

I like this one! What are the words shell ginger, flame ginger, etc referring to? Colors? Flowers? Please explain!

16. WineGuy

WineGuy A-List Customer

17. D Gambini

D Gambini New in Town

i had a question
    i recently found a vintage "the kahala" brand shirt at a local shop
    http://vintage-aloha-shirt.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=40_83&products_id=380

it is exactly like this one
    but
    the loop collar and buttons are on the opposite side
    was this common?
    it doesnt fit like a womans shirt, it has that 50s box cut, no darts
    very intersting, it fits well and looks amazing, just curious about that.

18. Mr Badger

Mr Badger Practically Family

Bit late to the party, but as we've no camera, I had to wait until a pal came round to snap my Hawaiians!

[​IMG]

These are all Avanti repros but, as far as I'm concerned, they're pretty darn good for not a lotta dosh... yep, the silk's a mite thin and the fit can be a little odd, but the collars are nice and pointed and the quality of the prints is good... anyway, they're a darn sight cheaper than Sun Surf repros or originals!

[​IMG]

The balance of my current stash - from left, an RL eagle print, Joe Kealoha underwater print, Pearl Diver repro with guitars and royal crests and, unbelievably, a long-sleeve Stussy 'Diamond Head' print!

They all get regular wear during the Summer months... here's me spinning some 45s on my decks, which are nicknamed Phonohenge, at a pal's birthday last year...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  19. Corky

Corky Practically Family

As I understand, with an Hawaiian shirt, the style is: the louder and more garish the print, the better.

20. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Really, because many of my favorites are relatively understated.