Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian Shirts - Aloha Shirts

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
I just got a Black "From Here to Eternity" and I'm pretty happy with it.

If you order anything from them, ask for their flyer, they sometimes have some patterns not on the web, I got two of these a few years ago, since it's my favorite vintage pattern. (Much cheaper than an original Pali or Hale shirt)

avantishirtcopy.jpg

An original Pali for comparison:

PaliDiamondhead.jpg

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many

SGB

One of the Regulars
Avanti and Sun Surf

I have a bunch of Avanti's, I like the vintage patterns, too bad they are made in China. I have a friend who is friends with the owners of Avanti, supposed to meet them in Oct on my next trip to Hawaii.
I just bought a Sun Surf shirt, anxious to see if it's worth it when I get it.
In Hawaii it's important to wear Made in Hawaii shirts at some places, the imports are looked down on, especially Tommy Bahama. That's why I asked earlier if anyone knows of a custom shirt maker there, I'd like to have a shirt made. The manufacturers I have met don't do one-offs, just big runs.
Last time I was there I was asked to design some shirts, and have my own label, but I don't have the money to spend on a venture like that. I did design a label and trademarked the name, but no shirt designs yet, it's really hard to design something that hasn't already been done and will sell. Maybe I should try again and do some designs for this next trip.

SGB

SGB

One of the Regulars
Hawaiian shirt designs

As a follow-up to my previous post about designing Hawaiian shirts I thought I'd ask what patterns or images anyone would like on a shirt. What would you buy? Might help get the creative juices flowing.
Thanks,

SGB

Mike K.

One Too Many
SGB said:
As a follow-up to my previous post about designing Hawaiian shirts I thought I'd ask what patterns or images anyone would like on a shirt. What would you buy? Might help get the creative juices flowing.
Thanks,SGB

I would love to find a quality aloha shirt with a cool lounge lizard pattern...geckos, iguanas, you name it!

scully

New in Town
Aloha Search

Hello to all at the Fedora Lounge,

This is truly a great forum, one of the best i have ever come across for response and information alike. This is truly a mecca

I have come to your forum for a bit of expertise on repro aloha Shirts.
Particularly the Japanese style prints that are about, well.. almost indemic these days.

I know that the "get lost and look on Ebay" responses are at the ready here but if any of your good selves may take the time to post a response if you know of anyone that i should be talking to, whether there is someone on the web who recieves "grand poohbah" status it would be greatly appreciated.
a year and a half on Ebay suggests it may not be terribly common.

There is an Hombre here in London at the Camden Markets who collects and Sells Hawaiian shirts.

He is a great guy, really friendly but if i ask about his collection of stuff its a bit like i am touching the sacred cow. So he wont really play the "where did you get THAT" game with me. The chances of a good Aloha in Central London may be greater than zero... but not much more. Hawaii is a more than a fair hike from here.

This fellow owns one which is in a realtively modern Japanese style which, frankly, for me, was like staring into the sun.
I still cant get the taste out of my mouth ( Tequila sunrise is definitely NOT the solution here)

to describe it.

Its a plain mid green background with a large repetative print of a Samurai warrior fighting a Giant skeleton amongst the clouds.

I believe it is a reference to Kuniyoshi's 1845 work "the skeleton spectre"

http://www.japaneseprints.net/viewitem.cfm?ID=725

Has Anyone EVER, EVER seen anything like this in their travels.
I have contacted some of the stores in Hawaii and it seems that it might be an out of print repro Avanti ( MIGHT be ). but i have never been close to finding this grail of an object. and it seems that this guy who owns it is the only person who has.

I realise however,that this item is not truly in the vein of the items this forum neither likely to be authentically vintage and definitely of questionable taste.

It would be great if any of you know someone or are someone with some knowledge of the best way to find this item or even some suggestions on what it may be or where it may be found i would be most grateful for any time you might afford this thread.

Regards to all and many thanks

JJ

scully

New in Town
still no luck

Gents,
that is close... very close...
i hav lived my existence sailing this close to the sun for a long time.
i contact these people you mention..
alas.
to no avail.
more disheartening , never herd of it. " send me a photo if you find it"
will persevere.
you guys are aces.
thanks very much for the responses.
keep 'em coming peoples.
i promise i will help out in return in any way i possibly can.

JJ

dr greg

One Too Many
samurai

I assume you've checked out the classic tomes by Hope and Schiffer, and there's an old and rare but not too expensive label called Golden Lotus of Waikiki that shows up every now and again on ebay, with very strong Asian themes, and there were quite a few Penney's in that style as well,
I've picked up a couple of rare shirts in junkshops over the years, but the net is far more efficient, if less fun.

tallyho

One of the Regulars
Hawaiian/Japanese shirt

Anyone out there can help me identify this shirt. It is a silk crepe type material. I bought it about 20 years ago because I thought it was vintage and put it away. I came across it the other day and now I am curious. Any thoughts?
DSC00450a.jpg

DSC00458a.jpg

DSC00453a.jpg

Marq

Familiar Face
Hawaiian shirts

Hi all , now let me explain .I have this thing for Vintage /Vintage style Hawaiian shirts.Worn with the right Jacket and Baggies and shoes they can look awesome.I wear these all round even in winter infact i am widely known for my Hawaiian thing going on.Anyone having a party with a hawaiian dress up thing doesn't bother to tell me as i will turn up ready to party anyway.I mainly love the patterns from the 30's and 40's and although i don't have any actual vintage shirts i have many repros in original prints.I normally wear mine with baggies of which i have many ranging from 24-26 inch turn up cuffs obviously high waisted i normally wear the shirt in unless it is a scenery pattern.My normal jacket choice would be a recardo/Hollywood or 40's wide collared sport jacket and buck or leather cap shoes.Now what are your choices and favorite Hawaiians? what do you wear them with ?.Also Ladies what are your favorite Hawaiian dress patterns and every one photos if possible of outfits and if i can get my bloody camera fixed i will post some of mine.Also any repro shirt/Dress companies would be great info..........Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner