Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian Shirts - Aloha Shirts

FlyFishing

New in Town
Not a vintage shirt, but it is one of the original Aloha shirt companies based in Hawaii
20201010_212908.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
That is truly, a good looking Aloha shirt. The boater compliments well. The little guy with the tennis ball looks suitably impressed too.

FlyFishing

New in Town
That is truly, a good looking Aloha shirt. The boater compliments well. The little guy with the tennis ball looks suitably impressed too.

Thank you, I must admit that admiring your shirts on this thread is what convinced me to start rotating the aloha shirt into my wear more frequently.

GHT

I'll Lock Up

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Hawalili floral shirts keep on popping up, so out of curiosity I looked them up but not by clicking on their advert, a click bait fodder member I am not. They are selling cotton shirts for as little as $15, this shirt at $21:56 caught my eye. It was reduced from $26, it did make me smile. My wife Tina, paid £45 just for the fabric of each of the shirts that she has made for me, that's $62:42 in Uncle Sam's shekels. Add on the paper pattern, the notions and ten to twelve hours of her skilled labour and her bespoke price would be in the stratosphere.
Not that I'm complaining.
The link doesn't take you to the exact shirt. Scroll down to the navy shirt with yellow sunflowers.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
https://martine-rose.com/products/hawaiian-shirt-in-beermat
If you click on the above link it will take you to this shirt in various poses:
aloha Beer_Mat_Shirt_073_1080x.jpg
It being advertised by a company called Martine Rose and the asking price is £295:00. If it's hand made then the labour charge alone would justify the price but whether you like the beer-mat pattern or not, don't you think that the quality of the finish a tad below par, given the price?
Have to admit, I don't have a beer-mat patterned shirt, the nearest print to beer-mats that I have is, wine labels.
shirts 170.JPG shirts 169.JPG
The finish on my shirt seems so much better. the pattern lines up, the breast pocket "disappears," even the buttons are sympathetic to the material. Or am I just biased about artisan who made mine?

Flanderian

Practically Family
https://martine-rose.com/products/hawaiian-shirt-in-beermat
If you click on the above link it will take you to this shirt in various poses:
View attachment 342773
It being advertised by a company called Martine Rose and the asking price is £295:00. If it's hand made then the labour charge alone would justify the price but whether you like the beer-mat pattern or not, don't you think that the quality of the finish a tad below par, given the price?
Have to admit, I don't have a beer-mat patterned shirt, the nearest print to beer-mats that I have is, wine labels.
View attachment 342777 View attachment 342776
The finish on my shirt seems so much better. the pattern lines up, the breast pocket "disappears," even the buttons are sympathetic to the material. Or am I just biased about artisan who made mine?

Yes, markedly.

I'm a dedicated fan of Tori Richard cotton lawn shirts. Cotton Lawn is inherently one of the lightest and coolest of cotton fabrics. In addition, Tori Richard has a proprietary finish they use that adds a measure wrinkle resistance, while actually increasing the wicking properties of the fabric. Literally as, if not more comfortable than wearing nothing when sized for proper roomy drape.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Yes, markedly.

I'm a dedicated fan of Tori Richard cotton lawn shirts. Cotton Lawn is inherently one of the lightest and coolest of cotton fabrics. In addition, Tori Richard has a proprietary finish they use that adds a measure wrinkle resistance, while actually increasing the wicking properties of the fabric. Literally as, if not more comfortable than wearing nothing when sized for proper roomy drape.
The reason that Tori Richard is not my choice is much the same reason of many others. They make a dress shirt, that's an everyday shirt that you might wear with a neck tie, but instead of being white or some pastel colour, they are floral. Alhoa shirts, by their very nature, are meant to be worn with an open neck, casual style.
How many such shirts do you see with a purpose designed lapel and with stiffener inserts, like this?
gary's aloha shirt 001.JPG gary's aloha shirt 002.JPG gary's aloha shirt 001.JPG

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Used to wear a tie every day (for about 40 years). Have worn a tie once since the pandemic hit. Now we are migrating back into the office. But since it is in the 90s in Vienna (33-35C) and since I am retiring in exactly one week, I am wearing Aloha shirts to the office every day. I will be landing in Hawai’i on 18 July, starting a new chapter in my life. Because I am not really a t-shirt kind of guy, I imagine that I will be wearing Aloha Shirts most days. I already have at least a dozen of them. Can I say that I am really looking forward to getting away from my desk, not having conflicting meetings every week, and not being responsible for various reports and other paperwork tortures?

Flanderian

Practically Family
The reason that Tori Richard is not my choice is much the same reason of many others. They make a dress shirt, that's an everyday shirt that you might wear with a neck tie, but instead of being white or some pastel colour, they are floral. Alhoa shirts, by their very nature, are meant to be worn with an open neck, casual style.
How many such shirts do you see with a purpose designed lapel and with stiffener inserts, like this?
View attachment 342905 View attachment 342906 View attachment 342907

While it's possible to button the top button of a Tori Richard shirt, I couldn't possibly imagine wearing a tie with it, irrespective of fabric. It's cut, construction and attitude are entirely Alhoa shirt.

Nice shirt! :cool:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
While it's possible to button the top button of a Tori Richard shirt, I couldn't possibly imagine wearing a tie with it, irrespective of fabric. It's cut, construction and attitude are entirely Alhoa shirt.

Nice shirt! :cool:
Thank you, kind of you to say so. I only used the neck tie analogy to describe the difference between designer open neck and an open neck that is so, simply by not fastening the top button. Cotton Hawaiian shirts are the stock in trade of The Hawaiian Shirt Shop, I've never bought any of their shirts but I have been asked many times if it's from them, when I'm wearing one of my wife's creations.

Used to wear a tie every day (for about 40 years). Have worn a tie once since the pandemic hit. Now we are migrating back into the office. But since it is in the 90s in Vienna (33-35C) and since I am retiring in exactly one week, I am wearing Aloha shirts to the office every day.
Ooh, you rebel Tom. Let me give you some inspiration. And don't forget your classic straw hat.

shirts 073.JPG shirts 134.JPG shirts 147.JPG shirts 153.JPG shirts 155.JPG shirts 149.JPG shirts 139.JPG shirts 151.JPG shirts 090.JPG

Flanderian

Practically Family
Thank you, kind of you to say so. I only used the neck tie analogy to describe the difference between designer open neck and an open neck that is so, simply by not fastening the top button. Cotton Hawaiian shirts are the stock in trade of The Hawaiian Shirt Shop, I've never bought any of their shirts but I have been asked many times if it's from them, when I'm wearing one of my wife's creations.

Ooh, you rebel Tom. Let me give you some inspiration. And don't forget your classic straw hat.

View attachment 342946 View attachment 342947 View attachment 342948 View attachment 342949 View attachment 342950 View attachment 342951 View attachment 342952 View attachment 342953 View attachment 342954

Incredible shirts! :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ