1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Hawaiian Shirts - Aloha Shirts

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Chamorro, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage My Mail is Forwarded Here

This is not someone I would have expected to wear a shirt like this...

gettyimages-1080676078-2048x2048.jpg

PeterB, Tommy-VF51 and BobHufford like this.
  2. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Shirt and tie goes with the territory in their line of business, that and military uniforms of course. But every now and then one of them will drop their guard. Honestly, the way our press reports it, you would have thought that Harry had run around naked.
    harry & missus.jpg

3. ruvort

ruvort One of the Regulars

Well... a Hawaiian shirt is pretty inappropriate for a Royal to wear.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

4. Depends on the shirt?

ECEF67DF-7EA6-4A41-A617-BBBA923F13AC.png

5. ruvort

ruvort One of the Regulars

6. David Conwill

David Conwill Call Me a Cab

Sheesh, if you can't wear a Hawaiian shirt, what's even the point of being a Royal?

Tukwila, AbbaDatDeHat and Bushman like this.
  7. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

Depends on the Royal.

King Kamehameha.png

8. MikeBravo

MikeBravo One Too Many

A recent purchase:
    Hawaiian blue whiteA.JPG Hawaiian blue whiteE.JPG

9. dh66

dh66

MikeBravo likes this.
  10. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Agreed. You mind Prince Harry doesn't steal that off your back. And if he doesn't, I might.

MikeBravo and dh66 like this.
  11. Edward

Edward Bartender

What "Diana's Boys" wear haslong been under scrutiny by the media.... it's all to do ith the politcis of the royals and whether the boys "modernise" and become more touchy-feely like their mother's media image, or maintain the stuffiness / tradition (delete according to opinion) of their father / the firm. I can't imagine it's much fun being under the microscope over your holiday wardrobe; maybe that's one reason Harry boy enjoyed the army: somebody else told him what to wear so it wasn't his 'fault'.

12. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

To make an Aloha shirt you first choose your paper pattern:
    simplicity 1.jpg
    Then you choose your material, a rich cotton is more expensive, but the finish and it's longevity are worth paying the extra:
    Camera 1 347.JPG
    Next you will need to spread out the material, then you place each piece of the pattern over the whole amount, making sure that you have the nap and grain correct. Now you can begin to cut out each panel.
    camera 5 270.JPG camera 5 271.JPG
    Once every panel has been cut from the fabric, discard the paper pattern, better still, put it carefully back in it's bag for future use.
    Camera 1 349.JPG Camera 1 350.JPG Camera 1 351.JPG
    It's starting to come together: Both sides of the collar next:
    Camera 1 358.JPG
    now it's starting to look like a shirt:
    Camera 1 360.JPG
    I'm only allowed ten photos, so follow onto the next post.

Attached Files:

13. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Putting in the sleeves:
    Camera 1 361.JPG
    Line up the buttons and make the button holes:
    Camera 1 365.JPG Camera 1 362.JPG
    Layflat to check all the buttons and their corresponding holes line up perfectly:
    Camera 1 363.JPG
    Finally sew the sleeve cuff hems and the waist hems:
    Camera 1 364.JPG
    Now all you have to do is find your husband and get him to model it to The Loungers:
    alhoa 053.jpg

14. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

We went fabric shopping today, looks like more trousers and shirts, and even a jacket in the pipeline. It was the first time that the fabric shop had seen their material morphed into a finished shirt, how they loved it, and so do I.
    floral shirt and hat 003.JPG

15. glxie63

glxie63 New in Town

16. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Thank you, I am indeed fortunate, what you don't see in the construction of the red shirt, is the amount of detail that goes into the lining insertion. The front of the shirt, similar to that of a jacket's lapel, needs to be double sided with strong lining so that the shirt retains a strong crispness. Even at the end of a hot day, my beautiful shirts never look crumpled or fatigued, (even if I do,) they always look sharp. It reflects on the work that my talented wife puts into them. Here's some previous photos of a shirt that many on the forum absolutely loved.
    gary's aloha shirt 001.JPG gary's aloha shirt 002.JPG gary's aloha shirt 003.JPG gary's aloha shirt 001.JPG gary's aloha shirt 002.JPG gary's aloha shirt 003.JPG

Tukwila and BobHufford like this.
  17. Snortman45

Snortman45 Familiar Face

I took the plunge over the weekend and bought three Hawaiian shirts. I will have to take pics later (tomorrow evening) and upload them, but I did get some good comments today about the one I wore today paired with my Stetson panama.

BobHufford, dh66 and Tukwila like this.