Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian shirts and fedoras

GHT

I'll Lock Up
blue shirt 001.JPG
blue shirt 004.JPG

My new shirt is finally finished, what impact it has, I love it.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Shirt (woody) 001.JPG Shirt (woody) 003.JPG Shirt (woody) 005.JPG

Surfboards & Woodies, a summer classic. There was, a year ago, a quintessentially British Woodie that I looked at. Much as I loved it I couldn't justify buying it. With two classics in the garage and her VW Golf out in all weathers, I don't think that Tina would have been too enamoured either.

MMT1.jpg MMT2.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You couldn't describe today's weather as Hawaiian, no matter, this shirt came as a lovely surprise. Tina, my wife, bought most of the Aloha fabrics from a lady who ran such a business in Honolulu, until that said lady, her name is Nina, retired. When this fabric arrived in her shop, Nina photographed it and emailed a copy to Tina. "I've got to have that," she emailed back and so it arrived, was secretly made and presented to me. I can't remember when, possibly a birthday present. How I love it, and the times I get asked: "Did you get that shirt in Hawaii?"
shirts 071.JPG shirts 072.JPG shirts 073.JPG old photos 556.JPG old photos 432.JPG
Someone once asked me what MG stood for, "My Girlfriend, of course," I told them. When I regaled that to Tina, my missus responded: "Your girlfriend makes your shirts?" I looked suitably chastised and got a hug. "i love her too," she added.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
View attachment 355967 View attachment 355968 View attachment 355969
Not exactly a floral shirt, but one that had some jocular mileage in it. "No big flowery shirt today?" I would be asked, "Just a plane shirt today," was my reply. It was usually met with the customary groan. Esther's lid & Tina's shirt do compliment one another.
Nice shirts! I have been in Ko Olina for the past 3 weeks, 2 more weeks to go before returning to the mainland. I have been to Fabric Mart in Aiea twice and will be purchasing some fabric to take home with me to make some aloha shirts for myself. I have one in mind that will match a Blue Smoke felt that I am almost done turning into a hat.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Nice shirts! I have been in Ko Olina for the past 3 weeks, 2 more weeks to go before returning to the mainland. I have been to Fabric Mart in Aiea twice and will be purchasing some fabric to take home with me to make some aloha shirts for myself. I have one in mind that will match a Blue Smoke felt that I am almost done turning into a hat.
My wife did much the same for me. One of the many strings in her bow is the talent of styling ladies hair in the 1940's fashions and to that end, she would often style a couple of the performers at a vintage burlesque show. It was always a difficult choice what I should wear, my missus came up with the ideal solution. Sorry it's such a poor photo.
DSCF5221.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Not exactly Aloha style, but the fabric is from Alexander Henry, the renowned company for Aloha and other popular materials.
shirt (camo).jpg

Tina has been busy, she gave me the fabric for a Christmas present, now the shirt is shaping up nicely. At present, the sleeves are only held in by pins, the shirt hem is unfinished but the appearance is looking good.
Shirt (camo) 001.JPG
Shirt (camo) 002.JPG

When it's finished Tina will start on the other fabric that came with the faux camouflage material, look closely, it's silhouettes of pin up girls. That other fabric is a strong cotton material in khaki. She's going to make me a pair of trousers to go with the shirt. How lucky am I?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
shirts 167.JPG shirts 166.JPG hats 067.jpg shirt race cars hat 004.JPG
Most, if not all, of my Aloha, or Aloha-esque shirts I team up with a fine straw like this old battered Biltmore. But with the arrival of a couple of bespoke felt hats I'm like a kid at Christmas, so if you don't mind, until the novelty wanes, indulge me.

By the way, that faux camo shirt, I chose a green hat, although you probably know that by now. Like I said, I'm a kid at Christmas.
shirt, shoes, hat all green 026.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21