Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian shirts and fedoras

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Following on from the travel theme of Route 66, this shirt, or to be more precise, the fabric of this shirt, depicts the golden age of travel. It does tend to attract much attention, but then again, during the golden age of travel, wide bottomed trousers were the fashionable: " must have."

The reason why I wore this shirt today is because it's a metaphor for travel. By metaphor I mean life's path, and by that I mean that the the lady who said yes to my proposal of marriage, walked down the isle with me, 54 years today.
Just to confuse matters, I posted about us celebrating the date in another thread, last Saturday. That's because we don't tend to eat out other than at weekends, which we did last Saturday night. Forgive my ramblings here's a pictorial illustration of my 54th wedding anniversary:
old photos 584.JPG old photos 585.JPG shirts 140.JPG shirts 141.JPG
In the last picture you can pick out two images of the hatbox. Look very closely at the first one, you might see that the lid and box don't line up correctly, that's because they are made of two separately pieces of material. Tina didn't get it precisely exact when measuring the panels and pockets. You just can't get the staff these days!

Last edited:
The reason why I wore this shirt today is because it's a metaphor for travel. By metaphor I mean life's path, and by that I mean that the the lady who said yes to my proposal of marriage, walked down the isle with me, 54 years today.
My most sincere congratulations to you and Tina for sharing what must surely be a life well lived!

View attachment 423124
In the last picture you can pick out two images of the hatbox. Look very closely at the first one, you might see that the lid and box don't line up correctly, that's because they are made of two separately pieces of material. Tina didn't get it precisely exact when measuring the panels and pockets. You just can't get the staff these days!
Hmm...I see nothing at all wrong with that shirt, except of course for the fact that it isn't in my wardrobe. ;)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Good to see you out and about Bill! Excellent hat/shirt choice.
That is a sentiment that I too echo. Wishing you well Bill, love the hat & shirt.
Seeing you with the walking frame brought back a reminisce. Laying in my hospital bed following hip replacement surgery a few years ago, my bladder was calling and although the bathroom was but a few steps away, getting there with the help of that frame was akin to a military exercise. At the time, I was convinced that I wouldn't walk properly again. It took a metaphoric kick up the backside by Tina with a: "Oh ye of little faith." She got me walking within a week.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Various hats & shirts 005.JPG Shirt (camo) 002.JPG
The pin-up girls in camouflage draws many a comment, but it's not until I suggest that a closer look might be revealing that I get: "Oh yeah, that's amazing!" Tina made the khaki baggies too, but then again, you probably guessed that.

The work in progress as it was being made was photographed using a camera which is why the colours are so much richer than the one where I am wearing the shirt, which was taken using my phone.

The manufacturer of this hat, Bailey, says it's a "Trilby", and Trilbies are technically a type of Fedora, so...here 'tis, the "Mannes" in "brown multi" as Bailey describes it:

BAV0veH.jpg

When the hat arrived and I saw the actual colors--white, tan, and black--I realized it was nearly a dead-on match for the Hawaiian shirt I'm wearing in the photos. And I just noticed they both kinda' match my beard, so...

The hat is made from 100% Polypropylene, so, essentially plastic. The brim still needs a bit of work and the crown seems a bit lower than the 4-1/2" it's supposed to be (it is a used hat after all), but it fits and I like it so I'm not going to nitpick. ;) Lightweight and airy, it should make a nice summer hat.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The manufacturer of this hat, Bailey, says it's a "Trilby", and Trilbies are technically a type of Fedora, so...here 'tis, the "Mannes" in "brown multi" as Bailey describes it:

BAV0veH.jpg

When the hat arrived and I saw the actual colors--white, tan, and black--I realized it was nearly a dead-on match for the Hawaiian shirt I'm wearing in the photos. And I just noticed they both kinda' match my beard, so...

The hat is made from 100% Polypropylene, so, essentially plastic. The brim still needs a bit of work and the crown seems a bit lower than the 4-1/2" it's supposed to be (it is a used hat after all), but it fits and I like it so I'm not going to nitpick. ;) Lightweight and airy, it should make a nice summer hat.
That's a great "look," the hat and sunglasses compliment the effect. And the shirt, how could I not like the shirt?
trousers-1.png

GHT

I'll Lock Up
shirts 145.JPG

This shirt would go well in The Era day-by-day thread. Flying boats, Queen Mary Liners,
Steam trains, beautiful cars, all only for the exclusive few of course.

It's my choice of shirt today. The sun is so strong that it's all but bleached the photo, that's
why I put up a picture of it. My new fedora in a nutmeg colour compliments the shirt a treat.

The era shirt & nutmeg hat 001.JPG

AndyR

One of the Regulars
First day out since coming home last week. Heading to doctors office wearing a semi-calado Panama from Northwest hats.

Wow, very sharp for going to the doc after back surgery. Impressive! When I went through all that, I barely made it back to the doc in my PJs. LOL! It took a couple of years for me, but I got better. Love the weave on that hat!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Whilst searching for a fabric like Bill's fabulous shirt, I happened to come across an 'example' of a matched pocket.
matched-pocket-2.jpg
https://alohaspotter.com/guide/#:~:text=Aloha shirts are most commonly,as silk, are also used.

Tina, that's Tina my missus, has her own definition of matched pocket. A definition that many a Lounger agrees with. "To match a pocket, or line up a panel," she says, "You really shouldn't see the join." But she agrees that the stitching is, on occasion, visible.

shirts 146.JPG shirts 147.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko