Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian shirts and fedoras

Landman

One Too Many
I bought a Hilo Hattie shirt online recently and really like it but it fits a little small. I bought the size I normally buy in other shirts. Do you guys find they fit a little small? I was wondering for my next shirt if I should order a size larger or this was just an anomaly.

I bought a Hilo Hattie shirt online recently and really like it but it fits a little small. I bought the size I normally buy in other shirts. Do you guys find they fit a little small? I was wondering for my next shirt if I should order a size larger or this was just an anomaly.

Order it larger. In my experience, it is a good idea to get the extra room----I have about a dozen and they can run small.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab

Mike, you didn't mention new or pre-owned. If new I would assume the sizing is normal but I've always bought off Ebay and never trust the size tags since the previous owner likely didn't follow the washing instructions and the result is always shrinkage with cotton, silk, and rayon. I always ask for the actual measurements if the seller doesn't list them as they should in their listing. This is especially true if buying vintage wool Pendletons too.

Mike, you didn't mention new or pre-owned. If new I would assume the sizing is normal but I've always bought off Ebay and never trust the size tags since the previous owner likely didn't follow the washing instructions and the result is always shrinkage with cotton, silk, and rayon. I always ask for the actual measurements if the seller doesn't list them as they should in their listing. This is especially true if buying vintage wool Pendletons too.

Oh yes! Especially on anything wool.

Lando

Practically Family
9698843800_ca79e49973_b.jpg

Another big hat hawaiian day. Weather is finally starting to turn though. My hawaiian days are finally numbered I think.

Great shirts and hats all around guys.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Getting a break with the weather for another week over here but the days are getting numbered. Nice big rig on top and wild color display on your chest, look'n chill Lando.

Reviewed the whole thread from the beginning today and it's been fun keeping it going.

Landman

One Too Many
James & Mike,

Thanks for your input. I bought it off of Ebay. It was new with tags but I guess it could have been a defective shirt. I can still wear it but it is better worn tucked in. Which, in my opinion, defeats the purpose of a Hawaiian shirt! One size larger would have been perfect.

Lando, that is a big hat! Looks great with the shirt.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Went to a vintage car show today, it was fantastic. Here's me with a previously posted Kahala and BSHW pandora next to an Alfa Romeo 6C by Figoni

Looks lile a good day for you Mike. Lando that combination is great. Really like the vintage looking design of the shirt. Your big hat inspired me to break out a western of my own. Unknown brand hat with new to me Hilo Hattie (sorry for the re-run)

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378680703515.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378680703515.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 123

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Today as fall is coming to New England I wore my Akubra Federation III ( a hat you don't see often here). To go with it a new Hawian Shirt I won from eBay. Do you all reconize it? It's the shirt that the Toll Takers wear on thr Florida Turnpike.
9d13f9479b93f59601bf154d2d0356b3_zps4a4a53f7.jpg

Jeff

That is one sweet shirt. Growing up here in the south, a quick trip down to the Florida gulf coast was an (at least) annual affair. I love Florida themed aloha shirts.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Nice post dh66, looks like you've got your own vintage car background. 60's Falcon?

Jeff, the mood shows through. Hope you didn't have to roll and employee for the shirt :)

Good eye Mike, close. Not quite in the same league as your alfa, but I see it more often. (goes quite well with a Hawaiian shirt too)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378766205615.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378766205615.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 145
Went to a vintage car show today, it was fantastic. Here's me with a previously posted Kahala and BSHW pandora next to an Alfa Romeo 6C by Figoni

You can't go wrong with a Kahala hawaiian shirt. I also like the Iolanis as well.
As an aside for everyone, did you know that Hilo Hattie has emerged from bankruptcy and is now owned by another brand started in the late 80s called Royal Hawaiian Creations?
Hilo Hattie would be spinning in her grave like a lathe if she knew what happened to her empire....

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Unfortunate turn of events for Hilo Hatties jp, capitalism is a cruel steam roller. Like my Kahala's best, I haven't found a suitable Iolanis yet but the ones I've seen look nice.

dh66, I knew Falcon wasn't right because of that little tail fin but knew it was a Ford tail light. A Galaxie is even kooler, A Galaxie 500 even more so.

Last edited:
Fri. Is here at last. Beautiful day, only got to high 80s, perfect to keep this thread breathing.
My most subtle hs, a gift from the mother-in-law many years ago, with my Dobbs stingy milan - backbone (headbone?) of my summer wardrobe.

btw Mike - not 500, but is 2dr ht

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379119172324.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379119172324.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 130

Lando

Practically Family
9861217454_cdb9939d76_c.jpg

And the thread lives on lol . A very nice Buckaroo came in and it was well warm enough to keep the Hawaiians out as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart