Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian shirts and fedoras

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Not all of the shirts that Tina has made for me are traditionally bright and flowery, this green fern leaf print is one example. I love it and I am always appreciative of Tina's talent. How I smile when I get asked: "Where did you get your shirt?" It's the look of disappointment that such an admirable shirt is unique. "Your wife made it?" they say, "Yes she did," I will reply, trying not to look too smug.

Just for good measure she made the high rise trousers too, what a clever girl the lady is.
Green shirt 002.JPG Green shirt 003.JPG Green shirt 005.JPG

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Ms. Tina is, indeed, very talented. If she opened a shop, I know her clothing would command top dollar.

Is she up to touring in the MG this spring?

Not all of the shirts that Tina has made for me are traditionally bright and flowery, this green fern leaf print is one example. I love it and I am always appreciative of Tina's talent. How I smile when I get asked: "Where did you get your shirt?" It's the look of disappointment that such an admirable shirt is unique. "Your wife made it?" they say, "Yes she did," I will reply, trying not to look too smug.

Just for good measure she made the high rise trousers too, what a clever girl the lady is.
View attachment 597775 View attachment 597776 View attachment 597777

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Ms. Tina is, indeed, very talented. If she opened a shop, I know her clothing would command top dollar.

Is she up to touring in the MG this spring?
Her work is, as you say Randy, top dollar, and it's very kind of you to compliment her, but she has always maintained that doing it for a hobby is fun, whilst making a living from it inevitably has all sorts of pressures, like deadlines, stock availability, carrier damage or losses, the list is endless. She is happier to do it as and when it suits her.

Did you know that her chosen career, before retiring, was a paramedic in the ambulance service? Now there's pressure, but she took it in her stride.

Christchurch 02 sept 2023 007.JPG

Here she is in one of her own dresses. She not only made it, she designed it too. Hopefully we will be out and about soon, perhaps even, by the end of this month. Easter is early this year and there's a lot going on in and around where we live.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Very good. The picture shows just about the right amount of pressure, I'd say! Enjoy your spring activities.

Her work is, as you say Randy, top dollar, and it's very kind of you to compliment her, but she has always maintained that doing it for a hobby is fun, whilst making a living from it inevitably has all sorts of pressures, like deadlines, stock availability, carrier damage or losses, the list is endless. She is happier to do it as and when it suits her.

Did you know that her chosen career, before retiring, was a paramedic in the ambulance service? Now there's pressure, but she took it in her stride.

View attachment 598093
Here she is in one of her own dresses. She not only made it, she designed it too. Hopefully we will be out and about soon, perhaps even, by the end of this month. Easter is early this year and there's a lot going on in and around where we live.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Back at you GHT. Your Hawaiian shirt and fedora combinations are classic.
When you've got style, you'll always be a cool character!
What a generous compliment, much appreciated.
Blue hat & shirt 005.JPG

shirts and co 006.JPG

The bold pattern on this shirt garners many a compliment. The way Tina lines up the pattern where it's buttoned and all but makes the breast pocket disappear always attracts attention.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Fern shirt and stone trousers 001.JPG Fern shirt and stone trousers 002.JPG
We have a busy weekend coming up, but chores still have to be done. I have been pressed into the weekly supermarket shop this morning. Tina needs to finish a hemline on a dress that she is wearing this evening. We are off to a Glenn Miller type big band dance this evening. Tomorrow, after church, we will be in the MG for a classic car meet, that's followed by Sunday lunch (rather late) at our favourite pub and then the evening will see us at a second Swingtime dance. It's all go, well, sort of, the dancing is more sedate these days.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
If anyone can make it, the Honolulu Museum of Art has an exhibit going on about the history of aloha shirts.
Wouldn't that have been a treat. Mind you, it would have meant a very long flight. Flying is not my forte, I've crossed the Atlantic numerous times, never got out of my seat, refused all refreshments, so that my bladder doesn't fill, negating the need to leave my seat.

It's a glorious day here in The UK, Aloha shirt weather. What I need are a few more decent straw hats but the felts can suffice for now.
Yellow & green 016.JPG

The shirt, not clearly seen here, is a fabric that Tina came across while she was looking for something else. It's always the way. Here's the shirt in full detail. The front panels all line up and the breast pocket disappears.

Yellow & green 005.JPG

The bespoke hat is by Gamble & Gunn, darker but it highlights the much darker green in the shirt.

Yellow & green 002.JPG Yellow & green 004.JPG

The thread is Hawaiian shirts and Fedoras but as well as making my beautiful shirt the lady made the perfect pair of trousers to wear with it:

Yellow & green 009.JPG Yellow & green 012.JPG

In keeping with the green and yellow spectrum, these correspondence shoes finish off the look.
Finish off? Well not quite. After she had completed the trousers, Tina presented them to me with
an impish grin. "What have you done?" I asked. "Nothing," she replied, all innocent. "Just thought that you might like these." These just happened to be a pair of colour coordinated socks. Am I taking this too far?

Yellow & green 001.JPG
Paisley aloha shirt 002.JPG

The sharp eyes amongst you will notice the black undershirt in the first photo.
"Wear a bottle green one," Tina suggested. I haven't got a clean one," I replied.
"Then change into one of your lemon ones," she said. Married men never argue.

Last edited:

RickP

One of the Regulars
Wouldn't that have been a treat. Mind you, it would have meant a very long flight. Flying is not my forte, I've crossed the Atlantic numerous times, never got out of my seat, refused all refreshments, so that my bladder doesn't fill, negating the need to leave my seat.

It's a glorious day here in The UK, Aloha shirt weather. What I need are a few more decent straw hats but the felts can suffice for now.
View attachment 616819

The shirt, not clearly seen here, is a fabric that Tina came across while she was looking for something else. It's always the way. Here's the shirt in full detail. The front panels all line up and the breast pocket disappears.

View attachment 616820

The bespoke hat is by Gamble & Gunn, darker but it highlights the much darker green in the shirt.

View attachment 616821 View attachment 616823

The thread is Hawaiian shirts and Fedoras but as well as making my beautiful shirt the lady made the perfect pair of trousers to wear with it:

View attachment 616824 View attachment 616826

In keeping with the green and yellow spectrum, these correspondence shoes finish off the look.
Finish off? Well not quite. After she had completed the trousers, Tina presented them to me with
an impish grin. "What have you done?" I asked. "Nothing," she replied, all innocent. "Just thought that you might like these." These just happened to be a pair of colour coordinated socks. Am I taking this too far?

View attachment 616827
View attachment 616832

The sharp eyes amongst you will notice the black undershirt in the first photo.
"Wear a bottle green one," Tina suggested. I haven't got a clean one," I replied.
"Then change into one of your lemon ones," she said. Married men never argue.
I absolutely LOVE most of the colors/ fabrics on your shirts. Im not that confident with my sewing skills, so maybe I should find a clothing designer / theatrical seemstress of my own to get involved with lol. Your posts often make my heart flutter

Reactions: RBH

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I absolutely LOVE most of the colors/ fabrics on your shirts. Im not that confident with my sewing skills, so maybe I should find a clothing designer / theatrical seemstress of my own to get involved with lol. Your posts often make my heart flutter
Your lovely compliment has had the lady going all bashful on me, thank you very much indeed. This is one of my shirts that I like to wear to military themed events. At first glance it seems like run of the mill camouflage. Look again, can you see silhouettes of pin-up girls?
shirts and co 003.JPG

Now if you think that raises eyebrows, some years ago Tina and her friend got into wartime burlesque. Risque it is, but out and out crude and vulgar, not really. By the way, by getting into burlesque Tina wanted to make you aware that she styled the performer's hair in a 1940's fashion, just in case you might have thought that it was her up there on the stage. And I had a shirt made to go with the evening's events.

shirts and co 015.JPG
It truly is a one off, Tina had the design screen printed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou