Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawkbill brim on Hemp Stetson

hatsandcanes

Familiar Face
69B14A8E-2196-4683-B50B-C7E043A03C0A.jpeg
4D3E1AF8-F6A1-4B3A-A7E7-457D74952F67.jpeg
I have a Hemp Stetson Whippet and I may have to settle with wearing the brim up because when I try to flip the brim down it makes a humpback brim. It is like there is too much brim. Does anyone have any thoughts or remedies to correct this problem like maybe steam?
Thanks much,
Randy

If it were mine, I’d mist it with water, use a clean press cloth, and iron it to the shape I wanted. A steam iron has a lot better chance shaping the brim. Go slow and keep checking on your progress. I’ve yet to damage my hemp brims with a “cool” iron...actually, set at the lowest steam setting.

View attachment 230877 View attachment 230876 I have a Hemp Stetson Whippet and I may have to settle with wearing the brim up because when I try to flip the brim down it makes a humpback brim. It is like there is too much brim. Does anyone have any thoughts or remedies to correct this problem like maybe steam?
Thanks much,
Randy
The only way you will be able to remove the hawksbill is to have the brim re flanged.

IMG_8720.JPG

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 230877 View attachment 230876 I have a Hemp Stetson Whippet and I may have to settle with wearing the brim up because when I try to flip the brim down it makes a humpback brim. It is like there is too much brim. Does anyone have any thoughts or remedies to correct this problem like maybe steam?
Thanks much,
Randy
Go back farther on the sides, at the temples, and then snap it down. It won't look as bad. That classic style of "Hawkbill" flanging has been around for a long time. Check out Dana Andrew's brim from the 1944 film noir, "Laura". Notice the very similar flanging to yours and the position on the brim from where he snaps it down, more back by the temples. I actually prefer that brim style. Just go farther back to snap it down. Yours is snapped down way too forward.

373c43dba505cfadfde415bdbc1d9022.jpg

Last edited:
The OP’s question was how to deal with a “humpback brim.” Hemp is an easy material to work with and responds well to ironing. Ironing will easily remove the humpback tendency. I agree with Terry’s suggestion on how to change the point where the “snap” begins,” but the humpback is best addressed with a steam iron...at least that’s what has worked for me.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I always see that flange as seen from the side as similar to a sound wave running back to front.
I actually like that style of flanging. It gives the brim a crisp and full look. Hawkbill, sound wave, it's definitely a favorite of mine. I think h&c had it snapped down too far to the front which made the brim look disappointing to him. With that said, to live with the hump, or to live without the hump, it's all a matter of preference. My Stratton conversion with the humpy flange! Notice that the snap begins further back on the brim which gives it a nice full look.
Stratton-Thin-Ribbon-4-A.jpg

Converted-Startton-3-A.jpg

Last edited:

hatsandcanes

Familiar Face
I actually like that style of flanging. It gives the brim a crisp and full look. Hawkbill, sound wave, it's definitely a favorite of mine. I think h&c had it snapped down too far to the front which made the brim look disappointing to him. With that said, to live with the hump, or to live without the hump, it's all a matter of preference. My Stratton conversion with the humpy flange! Notice that the snap begins further back on the brim which gives it a nice full look.
Stratton-Thin-Ribbon-4-A.jpg

Converted-Startton-3-A.jpg
I will give that a try before I go at it with a steam iron! Many thanks, Randy

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I will give that a try before I go at it with a steam iron! Many thanks, Randy
You're welcome HC. I don't mean to sound as though I'm trying to talk you out of ironing your brim some but it's at least worth a shot to try and re-snap it first. You still may not like the way it looks after you try it. It's all a matter of what a person likes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn