Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Headed to Schott LA

The Don

New in Town
Hey folks,

I’m new around here but not new to JAS (Jacket Acquisition Syndrome).

I happen to be near the Schott LA store so I’m heading there now. (I’m actually just next door having a coffee before heading into the shop.

I was hoping to get some recommendations on other stores to check in the area for good double riders, but it took a bit long to get my account approved. If you happen to be reading this within an hour of posting an have some suggestions I’ll check back. If I don’t score at Scott I’ll still be on the hunt.
Otherwise I’m actually staying near Venice, so suggestions for shops in that area would be great too. I’m there for a couple more days.

Thanks and enjoy!

Don (The Don)

The Don

New in Town
That’s one I really wanted to try.
Seems I’m between a 38 and 40.
With a light, borrowed sweatshirt the 38 feels a bit snug. Not sure it will relax enough to make it easy sailing. The 40 just looks wrong on me. One could say the 40 “fits” me but I don’t think it looks right. Kinda like I’m wearing my big bros jacket.

Surprisingly I’m zeroing on the P213. I haven’t ridden in a long time and don’t foresee much riding in my near future. So, it is just a style jacket after all.

But I will say I like the look of the horsehide.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
very short distance away is Self Edge across the street. Definitely worth a looksie. They'll have Fine Creek, Iron Heart, several other Japanese and high end US brands, especially denim and flannels, but they'll have some great leather jackets.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
There's also the Horween one, P613S. On the other end of the spectrum from the P213 but it comes with blacked out hardware... And CXL Steer is a easier to wear than CXL FQHH. Sorry I have a CXL fetish...

Reactions: jeo

The Don

New in Town
very short distance away is Self Edge across the street. Definitely worth a looksie. They'll have Fine Creek, Iron Heart, several other Japanese and high end US brands, especially denim and flannels, but they'll have some great leather jackets.
Stopped into Self Edge. Slim selection for sure. The few Finecreek they had near my size were way off in some areas. The arms were all too slim on me, not that I have huge guns but apparently more than most that can wear Finecreek.

Heading home empty handed but armed with info about how Schott sizing works for me.

The one I had hoped to try was the PER22. Apparently they weren’t big sellers in LA, so they sent them all back some time ago. The one thing I’d be concerned with is the length. The 38 618hh fit well but had zero room for more than a tee. The S P213 was just a tad snug in the delts, otherwise not bad. But, I’m generally not a fan of lamb. But it is a heavier lamb than a lot of other makers.

I may have to play internet roulette and order something online, after thinking about things more.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That’s one I really wanted to try.
Seems I’m between a 38 and 40.
With a light, borrowed sweatshirt the 38 feels a bit snug. Not sure it will relax enough to make it easy sailing. The 40 just looks wrong on me. One could say the 40 “fits” me but I don’t think it looks right. Kinda like I’m wearing my big bros jacket.

Get the 613SH in size 40, which will fit like a size “39” 618. @TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead can confirm that it runs effectively a half size small compared to the standard 613/618 and the leather is like the 618HH except better.

I own many jackets, including ones much more expensive, and frankly nothing holds a candle to my 613SH. There is no jacket I recommend as unreservedly as this. It’s just that good and it transforms in short order from a stiff suit of armor to a blanket.

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars
The 641HH is probably my next Schott but I’d certainly like to try it on in person (despite their good return policy).

Aloysius

I have no idea about the surrounding area but don’t sleep on the 689HH. Beautiful jacket and one that’s on my real short list.

That western store in Chicago had some old stock at old prices last year, $400 or so in their sale, but I forgot to hit confirm at the end of the order, then the sale was over by morning…

That western store in Chicago had some old stock at old prices last year, $400 or so in their sale, but I forgot to hit confirm at the end of the order, then the sale was over by morning…
Yeah Alcala’s on Chicago Ave. The jacket wasn’t even on my radar at that point and they dropped the price in half. I should’ve made my move then. TBH though until I lucked into the used, albeit too small 689, I had no idea the jacket and the hide were that good. Would’ve jumped a decade ago if I had. Even at full retail, it’s very hard if not impossible to beat IMO.

jeo

One Too Many
Agree with @dudewuttheheck , the mister freedom store is worth a visit even if you don’t end up buying anything. One of the coolest stores I’ve ever visited. So much to look at!

Did you try the standard 613 or 618 in steerhide?

If the 38 HH is tight, the steer in 38 will fit the same but stretch out beautifully and to perfection with wear. The horsehide won’t stretch much if at all.

The 118 naked cowhide in 38 may be an option as well as it’s a tad more generous and a tad longer than the 613/618.

Or as @Aloysius suggested, the 613SH in a size 40 if you want to stay with HH, but they fit a little longer than the standard 613/618 in the same size so just make sure a 40 has the correct length for you.

I’m also with Aloy here, there’s something special about perfectos. I have 4 currently all from different eras and they are the coolest, most comfortable and functional out of all my around 50 or so jackets.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Get the 613SH in size 40, which will fit like a size “39” 618. @TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead can confirm that it runs effectively a half size small compared to the standard 613/618 and the leather is like the 618HH except better.

I own many jackets, including ones much more expensive, and frankly nothing holds a candle to my 613SH. There is no jacket I recommend as unreservedly as this. It’s just that good and it transforms in short order from a stiff suit of armor to a blanket.
yeah, the Schott is always oversized logic bit me with the 613Sh. That one is very close to true to size, if anything half size under, because no footballs under arms and narrower shoulders. And Aloysius noted in that thread, once broken in, it kind of actually feels smaller for some reason.

Aloysius

Oh and I meant to reply about the PER22–there's nothing particularly special about it, except that it was on clearance last year for a bargain price which was worth grabbing. It's basically the 519 with some dark bronze hardware (the regular 519 looks nicer) and no stars.

As for the 519, it's just the 613S with thinner leather and a slightly lengthened body done in alpha sizing. (Schott has said this directly.)

So if it's the PER22 you liked, the 613S is pretty much the same thing, with the benefit of numbered sizing so you have more options. And if you'd like horsehide, get the 613SH (the leather, which is unique to that model, makes it a no-brainer for me but the steerhide is no slouch).

In Venice there is a shop on Abbott Kinney called The Stronghold. Go there and try on Lewis Leathers jackets (if they still have them).
If you can work your way over to Highland Park, there is Snake Oil Provisions on Figueroa. They have Y2 and some others.

Last edited:

The Don

New in Town
Wow, thanks all for the info everyone!

Wish I could have posted earlier, but I slept on signing up and it took a while to approve the sign up.

Anyway…
Been in and out and have some thinking to do. I did try the cow and horse in each of the 618 and 613 and can confirm the cow 613 in 38 was a little more generous.

Before leaving I tried the 641hh. It was a little long on me. I’m barely 5’7”, so many of the jackets are a bit long on me, at least for my preference.

The surprise of the day was how much I left liking the P213. The small was the right length in the sleeves and body length, just below the hip. I certainly wasn’t prepared for the sticker shock on that one though.

I’ve got some digesting to do.
I’ll see about getting over to The Stringhold.
I’m also looking at the offerings from Vanson. I have a Comet from them that’s a 40 and it’s a smidge long, imo. Still not really broken in and might be in the classifieds if I find a double rider that checks all the boxes for me.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
VAnson has these "deer tanned" cowhide jackets like this one:
1682445382079.png

I haven't tried one but in theory it would be soft like deerskin but still thicker cowhide. The C2RN model is quite slim. But I am sure it's still roomier in the sleeves than the Finecreek jackets.

I don't know my way around LA. but there is a store in Long Beach that carries all this stuff. ButterScotch.

MrProper

VAnson has these "deer tanned" cowhide jackets like this one:
View attachment 511421
I haven't tried one but in theory it would be soft like deerskin but still thicker cowhide. The C2RN model is quite slim. But I am sure it's still roomier in the sleeves than the Finecreek jackets.

I don't know my way around LA. but there is a store in Long Beach that carries all this stuff. ButterScotch.
I like that one. What a luck that the OTR don't fit me and there is no shop in my area either. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21