Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heaviest leather jacket?

frussell

One Too Many
My steer sold as horse Long Half Belt weighed in at over 11 lbs. Very stiff, but was starting to break in when I returned it to Aero. I'm a large guy, so I didn't notice the weight that much, until I took it off and held it up by the collar. Frank.

nabottle

A-List Customer
My heaviest is a Lost Worlds peacoat in 4.5 oz. horsehide. It was my first FQHH jacket and even though Stuart recommended 3.5 oz or lighter for the peacoat, I wanted the heaviest I could get. Needless to say, he was right. I still wear it and it feels way better than when it was new, but I would never recommend 4.5 oz. for a casual jacket or coat. I broke it in by laying and sitting on it in the living room for several months.

Ordy

New in Town
My heaviest is a Lost Worlds peacoat in 4.5 oz. horsehide. It was my first FQHH jacket and even though Stuart recommended 3.5 oz or lighter for the peacoat, I wanted the heaviest I could get. Needless to say, he was right. I still wear it and it feels way better than when it was new, but I would never recommend 4.5 oz. for a casual jacket or coat. I broke it in by laying and sitting on it in the living room for several months.

I thought FQHH doesn't get heavier than 3.0 oz or so. According to Aero...

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Does anyone own a jacket made of Vanson's Competition Weight leather? Is it too heavy for casual wear?

I have a Vanson Teton in the lighter weight. Even then, it weighs 6.8lbs (but that includes armor). It's heavy to carry around but not that noticeable when wearing it. I flipped a Vanson Enfield in Competition Cowhide and it was hea-vy. I'm glad Kim convinced me to go with the lighter hide Teton (I ordered on the phone) because it would have been unbelievably heavy in C.C.

Lost Worlds jackets are heavier than Aero's...
I had an Aero FQHH jacket and realized that in Southern California, I probably wouldn't need a jacket that thick/ heavy...although it was beautiful.
This time around, I'm going with Shinki :)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Lost Worlds jackets are heavier than Aero's...
I had an Aero FQHH jacket and realized that in Southern California, I probably wouldn't need a jacket that thick/ heavy...although it was beautiful.
This time around, I'm going with Shinki :)

Be sure to get some samples before hand. Not all shinki is made equal!

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Be sure to get some samples before hand. Not all shinki is made equal!

I agree. That said, I am curious which Shinki you believe to be inferior and/or less "glorious." I am aware of the following manufacturers that use Shinki on a regular basis: Goodwear, Himel, Freewheelers, Real McCoys, Flat Head and Rainbow Country. I have firsthand experience with Himel, RMC and FH jackets -- the Shinki on the Himel and RMC is, IMHO, stellar. The Shinki on the FH was more rigid than I prefer, and also less textured/grainy. Based on photographs (an admittedly inadequate means of comparison), the GW Shinki appears similar to the Himel and RMC -- I am not sure about the FW Shinki (although I hope to find out one day). To be clear, I do not believe that Shinki is inherently superior to any other HH. For example, I love certain of the Italian HHs offered by BK and, shortly, Aero and GW. The most grainy/textured of the Italian hides are far more grainy/textured than any Shinki I have ever seen. On the other hand, having the most grainy/textured hide is not the benchmark. Like anything else, there is a balance in terms of ideal grain/texture, and that balance is highly subjective. So, which Shinki hides have fallen short for you?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Obviously, ymmv, but from what I gather, it's not so much the quality - that's not open to question - it's just that, while some it has a lot of character, others seem to have had the grain ironed out of it, leaving it rather flat. I think that's because it's more popular with Japan, but I wouldn't swear to it.
I know Aero gave serious consideration to going with shinki but overall were not totally satisfied with it and while they've got some of their hides, as far as I'm aware, they have moved on to other tanneries ie the Italian ones, such as those being offered by Thurston at the mo'.
That said, I love my shinki Dust Bowl, it's my go to just now, but that was made from a solitary sample that had been sitting in the store room, and I don't think Aero have been able to get something approaching its character since.

Between the samples that Goodwear sent me (Shinki & an Italian one) I liked the feel and texture of the Shinki better. The Italian was very nice, but a bit thinner and the grainy parts a bit smoother. It's really hard to make some of these distinctions unless the samples are side-by-side, and on a jacket maybe negligible. A lot depends on the maker. John apparently uses a whole hide on a single jacket, so you end up with both smooth and grainy parts of the leather. The artistry comes as the parts are assembled :)

Peacoat

Bartender
Does anyone own a jacket made of Vanson's Competition Weight leather? Is it too heavy for casual wear?

I have a Vanson Enfield with the competition weight leather. It was a tough customer for the first year or so. After full break in, it has become soft and pliable. Has nice graining as well--better than the usual cow. The softness reminds me of Aero's FQHH. It is now fine to wear for casual wear.

I thought FQHH doesn't get heavier than 3.0 oz or so. According to Aero...

Aero doesn't use horsehide that's thicker/heavier than 3 oz. Neither does Schott. Both Aero and Schott HH are of the exact same thickness and weight, but Aero may appear deceivingly tougher because the leather they're using is much stiffer. LW is using HH that's 4 oz so obviously FQHH can get heavier than that, though what possible gain could come from that 1 ounce is debatable. Also, don't forget that there are shoes and belts made from HH that are much thicker than any of that jacket leather.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Obviously, ymmv, but from what I gather, it's not so much the quality - that's not open to question - it's just that, while some it has a lot of character, others seem to have had the grain ironed out of it, leaving it rather flat. I think that's because it's more popular with Japan, but I wouldn't swear to it.
I know Aero gave serious consideration to going with shinki but overall were not totally satisfied with it and while they've got some of their hides, as far as I'm aware, they have moved on to other tanneries ie the Italian ones, such as those being offered by Thurston at the mo'.
That said, I love my shinki Dust Bowl, it's my go to just now, but that was made from a solitary sample that had been sitting in the store room, and I don't think Aero have been able to get something approaching its character since.

Your observation regarding certain Shinki hides appearing "flat" is consistent with my experience handling a Flat (no pun intended) Head Shinki jacket -- it was less textured/grainy than other Shinki hides I have handled. That may be a product of the Japanese market and preference for less texture/grain (although my RMC Shinki has more texture than the FH). On the other hand, I have seen Horween jackets that are also remarkably flat. For example:

5755319a7bc9747f_s2683-collar-800.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Your observation regarding certain Shinki hides appearing "flat" is consistent with my experience handling a Flat (no pun intended) Head Shinki jacket -- it was less textured/grainy than other Shinki hides I have handled. That may be a product of the Japanese market and preference for less texture/grain (although my RMC Shinki has more texture than the FH). On the other hand, I have seen Horween jackets that are also remarkably flat. For example:

5755319a7bc9747f_s2683-collar-800.jpg

Horween seem to be capable of an infinite number of flavours for their hides - when I visited the place, they had stuff that was, for want of a better phrase, a bilious green and canary yellow, which in itself was a feat of achievement, but not something I'd fancy a half belt in (I think they were being used for fashion house handbags). The thing with Aero is that they can rely on Horween to be able to supply them enough of the sort of CXL hides that we all know and love. I think the bottom line is, as with anything, rep is one thing, but the reality doesn't always quite line-up.

Meerkat

Familiar Face
I have a Vanson Enfield with the competition weight leather. It was a tough customer for the first year or so. After full break in, it has become soft and pliable. Has nice graining as well--better than the usual cow. The softness reminds me of Aero's FQHH. It is now fine to wear for casual wear.
Depends on which model vanson .. I have the stallion which took a mere 7 years to break in and I have the Highwayman style E which is extremely heavy and definitely not a social jacket and may never break in!

Edward

Bartender
My steer sold as horse Long Half Belt weighed in at over 11 lbs. Very stiff, but was starting to break in when I returned it to Aero. I'm a large guy, so I didn't notice the weight that much, until I took it off and held it up by the collar. Frank.

IT's the age-old example of how much weight one can easily take across the houlders versus in the hand. I've had a lot of jackets and coats over the years that felt much heavier in hand than on. Always found hte same with a loaded rucksack in my hiking days, too!

Jinkies.... when Stuart "If it's too heavy maybe you're just not manly enough to wear one of our jackets" Lost Worlds says it's too heavy.... :eek:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
My heaviest jacket is an alpaca-lined fqhh Aero LHB (size 40) that weighs 6.6 lbs. My quilted-lined Aero fqhh Teamster weighs 6.4 lbs. By contast, my Shinki hh Goodwear Ventura weighs 4.8 lbs. I like each of them and the weight doesn't bother me at all.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
LW Roadmaster 4.50 pounds, Test 8.25 pounds, Suburban 6.50 pounds

DSC07247.JPG

BK Duke 6.25 Johnson Leathers 8.50

DSC08838.JPG

Aero Heavy HH 8.25 pounds.

Lots of vintage jackets more in the 4 pound or less weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points