Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heavily Modded Veste de Rallaye

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
I'm not familiar with all of Aeros designs as some here are. Just looking at as a "jacket", regardless of the pattern, one phrase comes to mind:

BAD-ASS

Figure out what you want to do regarding the sleeves and you definitely have yourself a keeper. Nice score.

majormajor

One Too Many
An excellent jacket, Worf.

Fits you perfectly, and I love the rolled back cuffs. Once you've "trained" the hide, maybe they'll stay there without the elastic.:D;)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
It's nice to hear from fellow FL's, particularly some of the "old breed" (no offence intended). I appreciate the kudo's and thank you all for your kind words. As for the sleeves. I'm not going to get them cut down. I'm going to follow IXL and Tonypaj's suggestion and get something nice fashioned to keep the cuffs snapped back. I know a jeweler who's done custom design work for me before... involving the Klingon symbol and the Raider logo... Ahem... so it can be done. HD... kinda curious... what custom work have you managed to acquire over the years...

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
One word on Aero Designs... I personally think that this one would sell quite well. It's more like a "shortened Mariner" in some respects but also something that you could also see on the back of a Polish Lancer back in the day (if you added a ton of gold braid). I've not seen anything quite like it and Graeme, from who's fevered imagination this thing sprang, might want to contact Holly about it. Who knows... don't cost nuthin' to ask... as Daddy used to say. Just speculatin'.

Worf

HD... kinda curious... what custom work have you managed to acquire over the years...

Worf

Actually Worf...my Aero jackets are mainly basic stock designs with added inside pockets and the customization has been zeroed in more on my sizing. Since I am tall with long arms..I can't wear eBay and 'Sale Page' jackets since the sleeves and body lengths are just too short..in the shoulder and chest size I'm comfortable with wearing. Besides adding zip sleeves to a new Bootlegger..kinda unusual wine alcapa lining to a black HH Stuart and heavy plaid blanket lining to an antique steer '30s HalfBelt..that's about it. I just narrowed it down to several Aero styles and the hide that I prefer over the years.
Seems you've went a different route and managed doing so with great success!
HD

wild_balls

Practically Family
Oh my god, you hit the nail right on there! If you find anything better than that, I will be surprised!
Beautiful, perfect fit! As good as it gets.:eusa_clap

Cheers Joakim

Graemsay

Practically Family
Worf, it might be worth looking for a motorcycle leather repairs shop or tailor who could tweak the sleeves. Dr H had his Goodwear A1 doctored, and that sorted out his sleeve issues.

Or get the buttons resewn on the outside of the cuff, and wear them turned up, which looks rather rakish...

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Graemsay makes a good suggestion. In one of my discussions with Alan at Johnson Leathers, I learned that just this type of work is a considerable part of their business. Surely there are other similar options out there in addition to JL.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the love and suggestions folks. HD... I hear you about needing mods to make things "fit" my shoulders and guns are problematic as are my big feets. Thanks to the fine folks here I've taken care of my jackets and coats in fine fashion and I'll be ordering some boots soon as my taxes come in. That wine colored lining you mentioned has my mind spinning. Out paths might be different but its the journey that counts. Joakim, thanks for the kudos, I appreciate the kind words. Graeme, I might be able to find a place to do the sleeves up but to be honest, I don't want to part with the blasted thing. I've only worn "The Graeme" and the LHB since they've both arrived cept for the Capeskin A! on that day it almost it 60 degrees. And while I respect Johnson leathers and the "sick" work they do (all compliment trust me) I couldn't see shipping this jacket anywhere till mid summer when I can't wear it. The guy at the jewelry shop was all a twitter at the idea of designing something NEW from scratch! We talked about skulls, logo's... I even toyed with idea using the Aero Leathers pin Ken sent me with some leather pulls for the LHB. I've not decided yet but I'll post pics when the deed is done.

Worf

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
while I respect Johnson leathers and the "sick" work they do (all compliment trust me) I couldn't see shipping this jacket anywhere till mid summer when I can't wear it. The guy at the jewelry shop was all a twitter at the idea of designing something NEW from scratch! We talked about skulls, logo's... I even toyed with idea using the Aero Leathers pin Ken sent me with some leather pulls for the LHB.

Totally understood, while I'm confident in JLs abilities, I was thinking that there are probably other options not far from you that also routinely do work on motorcycle leathers who could easily handle such a task. Just the same, I get not wanting to part with the thing. For a short term solution, the idea of somehow incorporating the Aero Leathers pins actually strikes me as brilliant.

You know Worf..the more I hear about it..the more I like the leather piull/cuff jewelry idea. Certainly would be unusual and more than likely complement this already unique jacket. If not there's always plan B.
HD

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Worf, would still like to see a picture of your wearing the jacket worn with a regular shirt without gloves and the cuffs buttoned correctly.

Edward

Bartender
So well done,I think,it should be a stock style in Aero's line up.
HD

Agreed. It' very reminiscent of some of the pp jackets the Luftwaffe boys had around 39/40. Really nice cut. Noble House do something akin to it looks-wise, while Pegasus also have one. I should have thought Aero could well find a market for their take. A short, buttoned jacket appeals to me. Aero did of course have the SB Stuart model, though that's gone from their line-up now (Holly noted they had removed it when Will left as they considered it his design, though I gather there was some rumour that it was originally the design of a Flounger...? Actually, that's the kind of thing I had hoped we'd see from Will Lauder when it was first announced he was leaving Aero, but it seems Alexander are choosing to go another direction design-wise).

apba1166

A-List Customer
Looks great. Shorter than my Veste, but the shoulders, sleeves seem similar. You could tur those sleeves into anything, maybe even keep a bit long with snap cuffs or something.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Hey Fanch... Here's a photo of the unmoded sleeves. You see my left sleeve is all the way over the second thumb knuckle. What would you say about an incho too long or only 1/2 or so?

IMG_1040_zps6ea51aa9.jpg

Worf

wdw

One Too Many
I have my Teamster like that. Maybe a half inch longer than ideal, but it'll wrinkle up some more.

Nothing to worry about, IMHO.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I have my Teamster like that. Maybe a half inch longer than ideal, but it'll wrinkle up some more.

Nothing to worry about, IMHO.

I'm not so sure... this jackets used and heavily used at that by Graeme. I think he said this was his hiking jacket. I don't think the sleeve are gonna wrinkle much more than they have. And to be honest they don't feel comfortable to me that far over my wrist. They also make regular gloves problematic.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart