Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heavy weight felt

Fedora

Vendor
I had a guy send me a couple of vintage bodies last year, and wanted me to turn them into hats. I just finished up the blue body, and I wish you could feel how heavy this hat is. I have never seen felt that was this heavy, in all of my years of hat wearing. This hat would literally make for a tired neck if you had to wear it for any length of time. I would estimate the weight at around 12 ounces!! The color was unusual for me as well, as I just have not seen that many navy blue hats. I installed 19 ligne vintage iron ribbon on it. Open crown height is 5 7/8, brim width is 2 7/8. Here she is.

bluehat.jpg

bluehat2.jpg

Fedora

geo

Beautiful hat! What size is it? I would imagine that the crown height and brim width vary with the size, to keep everything in proportion, right?

Fedora

Vendor
Nice shape. Is it also quite stiff? Like a cowboy felt?*

No,not cowboy felt, but the thickness of the felt gives it a bit of body.

Beautiful hat! What size is it? I would imagine that the crown height and brim width vary with the size, to keep everything in proportion, right?

Hmmm, I don't have the paperwork in front of me, but I think I made it between sizes. Seems like I made it 23 1/4, right between a 7 3/8 and a 7 1/2. But, that may have been one of the other hats that I made yesterday and last night. They run together after awhile! The customer wanted a tall vintage proportioned hat and the block that I used, a number 52 was that height, so that is what I used. I used a number 17 flange on the brim.

Beautiful hat, beautiful color, but man, I wouldn't want to wear something that heavy!

I was just guessing, and I doubt it was that heavy, but it made my 4 ounce regular bodies feel light as a feather in comparison. I daresay, it was probably no more than 8 ounces, as I have held in hand several 6 ounce bodies recently, and this one was noticably heavier. This is a true heavyweight felt.

Steve, do you always do a raw edge?

Yeah, my main business are Indy fedoras, as I specialize in those, and I have never got around to doing the bound brims. I imagine one day, when I finally arrange the lightweight portugal beaver felt, I will sub it out to a local seamtress and offer bound brims with matching hatband. I stay so busy with the Indy hats that I have not had to diversify, or had time to really.

Wow, that's gorgeous!

Thank you! Regards, Fedora

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Fedora said:
I had a guy send me a couple of vintage bodies last year, and wanted me to turn them into hats. I just finished up the blue body, and I wish you could feel how heavy this hat is. I have never seen felt that was this heavy, in all of my years of hat wearing. This hat would literally make for a tired neck if you had to wear it for any length of time. I would estimate the weight at around 12 ounces!! The color was unusual for me as well, as I just have not seen that many navy blue hats. I installed 19 ligne vintage iron ribbon on it. Open crown height is 5 7/8, brim width is 2 7/8. Here she is.

bluehat.jpg

bluehat2.jpg

Fedora

Forgive me, but I am new and don't know everyone yet... You made that hat? Wow!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum