Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello all!

driven_247

New in Town
I found this great forum while searching for a straw hat to wear in Cancun during my honeymoon in April.

I've always loved the look of hats and the style they offer... I've just never liked the look of them on me. I bought one straw hat (Dorfman Pacific I believe it says) several years ago and have worn it only a few times... but I'm constantly on the lookout for that one hat that looks just right on me.

Assuming that I can find that true love of a hat... I still have a question. I'm a sweater. In the slightest of warm temperatures (and any humidity) my forehead will drip like faucet. I also shave my head completely which probably makes the sweating even more obvious. I know that I all but ruin any ball caps I've worn in only a few months because of this.

Do you guys have any tips for me as far as how to not ruin any dress hats that I may find I like? I have never had a hat with a sweatband that had the ability to deal with my head. :)

Thanks in advance and for this awesome forum!
Shawn

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Welcome

driven_247 said:
I found this great forum while searching for a straw hat to wear in Cancun during my honeymoon in April.

I've always loved the look of hats and the style they offer... I've just never liked the look of them on me. I bought one straw hat (Dorfman Pacific I believe it says) several years ago and have worn it only a few times... but I'm constantly on the lookout for that one hat that looks just right on me.

Assuming that I can find that true love of a hat... I still have a question. I'm a sweater. In the slightest of warm temperatures (and any humidity) my forehead will drip like faucet. I also shave my head completely which probably makes the sweating even more obvious. I know that I all but ruin any ball caps I've worn in only a few months because of this.

Do you guys have any tips for me as far as how to not ruin any dress hats that I may find I like? I have never had a hat with a sweatband that had the ability to deal with my head. :)

Thanks in advance and for this awesome forum!
Shawn

Welcome. It is a great forum. Bottomless well of knowledge and educated opinions. Others know much more than me, but I have two hats that have "breathability" features built into the sweatband. One is a 25-year-old Borsalino that has a kind of corrugated sweatband at the front. The other is a 60s stingy-brim that has raised shapes embossed on the leather at the back of the sweatband, again, allowing for better breathability. You might look for these types of features when shopping for a hat, or better yet, have one custom made for you (lots of info on this forum on where to go for that).

Additionally, if you buy a fur-felt hat, well, fur is the ultimate in water immunity, so the sweating would probably induce, at worst, shrinking; a good haberdasher can easily stretch it back to original size (block it, clean it, etc.). Basically, a hat made of fur-felt, if cared for properly, kept away from moths, not dunked in water everyday like Buster Keaton, etc., should be able to be handed off to your children when you're done.

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
Welcome Shawn! I will put a strip of terrycloth towel inbetween the sweatband and the hat, about 4 inches wide and an inch thick, at the forehead. This seems to stop the sweat from ruining the ribbon, which tends to turn white if you sweat too much (from the salt of your sweat, I would imagine)...KC

driven_247

New in Town
Good ideas guys... thanks!

Kaleponi Craig, I would imagine your suggestion may have an impact on hat size?... like maybe a 1/8" increase?

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Welcome to the Lounge Shawn!!! There is a Powder Room for the soon to be Missus also so have her tag along!!
Craig means a strip 1" wide, not thick, thus no need to change sizes, just keep some strips handy when you know you will be most in need. If all else fails, not to worry most hats can be cleaned when needed.

I have been married for 23 yrs now ( yes, to the same woman:) ) and wish you the joy I have known. Of course, never forget, the jury remains out as to whether it will last..:cheers1:

driven_247

New in Town
Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone. :)

I realize it wouldn't have been 1" thick, but I was thinking the thickness of the terry cloth would have still snugged up the hat a bit. I'm glad it won't change the size though... one less thing I have to think about. :cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats