Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello from a new member

leo

One of the Regulars
Hello everyone. I've been lurking here for about 6 months after finding the site because of hat-related searches.

I've worn panama-stye straw hats sporatically for a decade or two and bought a felt Dobbs fedora 3-4 years ago for winter wear. Earlier this year, I underwent heavy skin cancer and reconstructive surgery on my face. The doctor told me to wear a hat! My wife bought me a Tilley for those times panamas seem not appropriate. While on a business trip this summer I bought yet another panama at the Village Hat Shop in San Diego, only to return a month later and buy 2 Jaxon crushable fedoras, one of which has seen regular duty lately.

I'm a native of the "West Coast" of Michigan living in Ohio for many years now, travel frequently for both business and pleasure (mostly in the US but sometimes internationally), like wines, stouts, and an occasional single malt and fine cigar. I have too many interests, from bicycling (road, fixie, classic) to fountain pens. I don't intentionally wear vintage clothing but enjoy the Golden Era and generally wear business attire at work. I'm always on the lookout for interesting cuff links. I AM vintage.

A hat shop anecdote: a few years ago I was in the back of a hat shop in downtown Cincinnati fondling a soft high-end Borsalino that would become my most expensive, and least worn, panama when the owner suddenly excused himself and ran out, leaving me alone in the store for 2-3 minutes. When he returned from a futile attempt to catch the shoplifter, he said that the event was an example of one reason why business was tough. When I returned a month later, the shop was closed.

I'm not sure if I can contribute much here, but this sure is one classy and knowledgeable group and I hope to learn a lot.

Bill

Jovan

Suspended
You probably have the best excuse to wear hats out of all of us! Welcome. Be warned though, while you may not be that much into vintage clothing now, you will be by the time you've seen all the pictures here. ;)

Razzman

One Too Many
Welcome to the FL leo. You will find the folks here not only friendly and knowledgeable, but willing to share that knowledge regarding vintage hats and clothing etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay