Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HELP! A rip in my leather coat!

Baggers

Practically Family
I've just discovered a small tear in the leather of my ELC Brooklands motoring coat. The coat has a detachable two piece belt that's attached via two buttons sewn to a fixed half belt on the back.

The tear begins at the point where one of the buttons is sewn and runs forward to the side seam resulting in a 1 inch long by 3/4 inch wide triangular flap with the button dangling from the apex. Evidently I overstressed the leather when I cinched up the belt while wearing it yesterday (no snide comments, please).

Anyone have any tips to offer on repairing this? I'm fairly handy with a needle, so doing it myself is not beyond the realm of possibility. Just be aware that it has to be fairly sturdy so I continue using the belt.

Thanks in advance!

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I think I might be tempted to take it to a pro despite being handy. Leather can be tricky to work with, and a pro would be better at making less visible and more sturdy repairs. I would really consider taking it down to your favorite dry cleaner, or a furrier that does repairs (if you have one in the area.)

If you decide to go it on your own, make sure you have a good thimble. Those are really good for distributing the pressure from pushing the needle through tough materials. There are leather and metal ones available. You probably also want a needle which is specifically designed for leatherwork. For that, try the notions section of your local fabric store.

Good luck!!

Joie

Baggers

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Well, if it takes a torn jacket to get to see your smiling face around these parts again, Baggers, so be it. :)

I've been lurking again lately and realized once again just how much I missed this joint (sad, I know...). I posted to the Chippewa work boot thread over the holiday, and am getting ready to hit the scanner so I can add some graphic evidence to the "pile on" in the Ascot thread. :D

But enough about me, back to my poor coat. Joie DeVive, you've got an excellent point regarding professional help (no snide comments from anyone here either!) and I'll probably wind up taking that path. Unfortunately, I've had some rather bad luck with the local resources and am feeling a bit gun shy. I know there has to be someone in the Dallas area who has the skills, but the prospect of searching him out has me willing to try fixing it myself before letting some "expert" butcher it.

Cheers!

texasgirl

One Too Many
I had a seamstress do wonders with my wedding dress- in Plano at 15th and Custer- Margo West, Fit Expert Tailors, (972) 633-5303 I'm sure she'd do leather- or maybe refer you to someone local :)

Baggers

Practically Family
Thanks, texasgirl, that's what I needed. Someone close by but outside the circle of people I've dealt with so far with whom I can begin my search. I'll call her tomorrow morning. :eusa_clap

In the meantime, any further recommendations in the Plano/Frisco/Richardson/North Dallas area -- especially if they will work on leather -- will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Mike K.

One Too Many
Baggers is back! Man, we've missed seeing you over in the adventure gear thread. Good to see you again. Regarding your coat, I'd want it professionally stitched back together. However, since it is obviously in a place that receives stress the stitching might also pull & tear. Would it be possible to go underneath the lining, once the tear is stitched, and glue/cement a leather patch to help relieve some of the stress?

Baggers

Practically Family
Thanks, Mike K., I've been following that thread and been meaning to add to it, if for no other reason than to put my name on the list for that jacket BT dangled in front of us. I'll take one in KD and perhaps linen as well!

And you're right about the possibility of the repair pulling apart under stress. I'm thinking that the ideal fix would be to open up a seam on the lining to gain access and then neatly hand stitching the rip closed, followed up with a glued and machine stitched leather patch on the underside for extra strength. I'd also resew the button, running the thread through the patch as a final touch. Then, figuring that the other side is just waiting to fail sometime in the future, I'd repeat the process there. As long as the patch stitch lines are neat and the thread is a reasonable match, I won't be concerned about them showing. Hopefully it will look like it was supposed to be there. And the rip itself will be hidden under the belt section when it's in place. Now all I have to do is find someone who thinks as I do! lol

Hem, my usual shoe repair place fixed a small tear on an inexpensive lambskin jacket belonging to my wife. They got the job done, but I wasn't all that impressed with the workmanship. At least the jacket's collar covers it when being worn. They can resole my shoes, but they aren't getting their hands on this coat!

Cheers!

Hey,Baggers...
Someone on the VLJ forum mentioned something about Barge cement for leather repairs some time ago. Not sure if it would work for your needs...but you might post over there for more info.
HD

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Consider Deno's of Highland Park Shoe Service, 62 Highland Park Shopping Village, near the corner of Mockingbird and Preston Roads, telephone number: (214) 521-1070. I can personally vouch that they are a class act, and if I were in your situation, I would carry my expensive leather jacket to them to evaluate.

Baggers

Practically Family
Fanch said:
Consider Deno's of Highland Park Shoe Service, 62 Highland Park Shopping Village, near the corner of Mockingbird and Preston Roads, telephone number: (214) 521-1070. I can personally vouch that they are a class act, and if I were in your situation, I would carry my expensive leather jacket to them to evaluate.

Deno's...why does that name sound familiar? I'm going to date the heck out of myself, but back in the 70s there was a shoe repair place that also did clothing alterations that was up Preston Road near Northwest Highway, in Preston Center. Waaaay back then I worked nearby for a men's clothing store and took quickie trouser hemming jobs over to them. I think it was called Deno's.

If that's the same outfit, I may be in business. Those people were exactly as you describe, a class act!

And Hoosier, thanks for the tip on Barge cement, I haven't been over to VLJ in a long time.

Cheers!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Baggers said:
Thanks, Mike K., I've been following that thread and been meaning to add to it, if for no other reason than to put my name on the list for that jacket BT dangled in front of us. I'll take one in KD and perhaps linen as well!

Hi Baggers.

It's still dangling...
I'm moving to another country... again, so will pick up the pace then.

Good luck with the Leather, Bagnold.

Ascots and Khaki, the classic style indeed.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR