Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help/Advice Needed for Decorating this Room

The Soph Gent

New in Town
I have a spare room that I want to dedicate to "golden era style". It's only 9' x 15'. But my problem is that I just DON'T want to place some furniture and decorative pieces in haphazardly. I want it to have some real style to the room.
The chair stays in the position it is currently in. There will be a two tier lamp table that goes next to the chair in front of the window.
I have also attached a photo of the wallpaper that will be getting put up.
Other than that I am open to suggestions.

The decorative items that will go into this room will be:
Vintage Typewriter
Telephones - I have about 10 but may only put one or two in there
Vintage Table Fan
Vintage Emerson Radio
Mags/Books
Cameras

I do have a large collection of vintage safety razors that require one large curio or two smaller ones; but I am not sure they will go in this room.
I know I could put a vintage desk somewhere and place some of these items. I was even thinking about a credenza type piece to go over by the short wall opposite the chair but as I mentioned, I don't want the room to look like you just stuck some furniture there. Style is what I am after.

Any suggestions?

IMG_3940.jpg

IMG_3941.jpg

X9MRWHHT_0.jpg

Last edited:

MikeBravo

One Too Many
What will be the main purpose of the room?

It helps to have a definite goal in mind, like a library/study (something I plan to do), private/family room, media room. What furniture will go in it? What pictures will be hung?

Have a look at other threads on similar topics in the Lounge, there are quite a few like man-caves etc.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
My first suggestion: Get rid of that gawd-awful blind in front of the window!!

From the list of bits and pieces that you're chucking in here, it sounds like you're trying to develop a sort of den/study/office/"man-cave" kinda look. The wall next to the door is where I would put a hat-rack and maybe a side-table. Next to it, I'd put a display-cabinet or a Secretary-style desk (I believe that's what they're called, with the bookcases mounted on top). That would give you space to put your collection of shaving equipement and have a handy display-space as well.

To save on space, what you might want is a compact desk. Perhaps a rolltop or a bureau. Something with lots of storage-space, but which doesn't take up a lot of room. A desk like that would be ideal to place a vintage typewriter on, without looking out of place (as vintage typewriters are quite heavy, I'd suggest a rolltop desk as being more capable of handling the weight).

The Soph Gent

New in Town
It's primarily going to be a TV room with antiques decorated as mentioned. I have items for the walls, but it's the floor furniture that I'm concerned with. Again, it's more of a style thing than just a placement thing.

As far as the blind: The blind was just a temporary thing. I have off white curtains that were taken down so I could paint/wallpaper. The blind was there to help block the glare that came in and spilled onto the TV. The curtains (even when closed) stayed open a few inches and the blind helped to keep the glare out.

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Well, you might look at "American Vintage Home"'s photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/americanvintagehome/collections/72157606545868245/ for hundreds of images of actual period vintage interiors. Since these images generally came from decorating magazines,they would tend to be a bit cutting edge. Real interiors of the period would, of course, be a little dowdy in comparison, with mis-matched furniture, more pattern on the walls, and perhaps less color co-ordination, but will feel more "homelike"

The wallpaper that you chose is lovely, but is more turn-of-the-century in its pattern than would have been common in the 1930's or 1940's. Patterns of the period tended to be much bolder. Fir examples of real wallpaper of the day, check "Hannah's Treasures", http://www.hannahstreasures.com/servlet/StoreFront and "Second Hand Rose": http://secondhandrose.com/

I noticed that you have chosen a textured wallpaper. There is an inexpensive paintable textured pattern with an all-over leaf pattern which is very much in keeping with the 1930's and 1940's which turns up in various "Menards" paint departments whiich would work splendidly. Striped papers were also much used at this time, but generally in "Colonial", "Colonial Modern" or "Regency" interiors, and would, I think, be a most unfortunate choice in such a narrow room.

At this time, simple Strié or imitation grasscloth papers were also popular, but for the impression of a cozy middle-class room a bold botanical would probably be best.

De gustibus non disputandum est.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner