Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help choosing a tartan please

Which tartan is best for a Top Notch in Russet Goat?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

schitzo

Suspended
I'm ordering a Top Notch by Alexander Leathers in Russet Goatskin. Working out the jacket was relatively easy; all I want is some extra length and a leather strip at the hem.

Choosing the lining however has taken me all afternoon, and I'm still undecided. Reason being, on the Locharron website there are 24 pages of lightweight tartans! I have scoured each carefully and arrived at a final four. Below is a link for you to view those. If you click on the pictures they'll enlarge and a zoom function loads for you to have a better look

http://www.lochcarron.co.uk/cart.php

The question I am asking is which of these 4 would be best for this jacket?

If you can be bothered to look at them, thanks very much! Personally, I now have a headache and am in need of a few hours away from this screen.

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
That is a good shout Mickey. But there are some good eyes on here too. Feel free to vote btw, if you have time

Cooperson

One Too Many
I've picked one, but I would probably go with tartan with a bit of russet running through it. I'd add something like Isle of Skye into the mix :)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Well, I personally like the "Gillies" on page 8, the "Macbeth" on page 12, the "MacKenzie" on page 15, the three "Patriots" on page 20, the "RCAF" on page 21, and the "Stewart Black" on page 22 but that's just me.

schitzo

Suspended
Well, I personally like the "Gillies" on page 8, the "Macbeth" on page 12, the "MacKenzie" on page 15, the three "Patriots" on page 20, the "RCAF" on page 21, and the "Stewart Black" on page 22 but that's just me.

haha

You would say that. Pick one of the four you ****! Please

nick123

I'll Lock Up
haha

You would say that. Pick one of the four you ****! Please

I assume the link you provided has your four in the shopping cart? It says empty shopping cart when I visit it. Can you provide the page numbers for each?

*nevermind, you can search them.

Last edited:

eggleman

One of the Regulars
Not that this helps you choose from the 4 , but I picked up a sale jacket with a weathered tartan lining ,
and thought it gave the jacket a more vintage look out-of-the-box ..
I think some of the weathered Hunting tartans would look good

nick123

I'll Lock Up
And that Plainsman's tartan just posted on the Thurston veg-tanned thread looks like it would compliment yours well.

schitzo

Suspended

schitzo

Suspended
Not that this helps you choose from the 4 , but I picked up a sale jacket with a weathered tartan lining ,
and thought it gave the jacket a more vintage look out-of-the-box ..
I think some of the weathered Hunting tartans would look good

Yes thank you for that eggleman! I had the same thought myself at some point this afternoon. In the end I realise it is just a massive task

robrinay

One Too Many
When I was about to order my first Aero I ploughed through my Family Tree to see if I was entitled to wear a Tartan and came up with clans and several tartans but in the end I took Kens advice and chose moleskin. -No regrets it looks good etc in my jacket he was right. I'm not recommending moleskin -rather - regarding the 4 tartans- Ask Alexander Leathers their opinion based on the hide colour and design, as has already been suggested above by Mickey Bowtie

Last edited:
I went with MacKenzie Ancient for my replacement lining...
IMG_20140722_152138_600.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy