Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Dating a Dobbs

Just a wild guess, but I'd say '60s, too. Any evidence, such as a price tag, hiding under the sweatband? Is there a retailer's logo embossed on the sweat? I've found librarians quite helpful in determining when stores in their locales went into and out of business.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
WaaaaY out on a Limb -but

Since Dobbs is still a production hat, and I noticed the gold piping around the top of the sweatband, I was thinking that had not been a feature in the older original (?) Dobbs hats I have had or seen. A lot of the Stetson versions have this gold piping. Is the band real leather? OR a leather like stuff?

Strider

One of the Regulars
I'm sure if you bring it flowers, and be real nice to it, it will go on a date with you. :p

Visigoth

A-List Customer
If it's black, with gold piping, it's precisely the same sweatband as my 1983 Dobbs. Which is a good, if not great hat. Not in the same league as a (fifties?) Dobbs I have with a brown sweat band, and no piping (although this latter hat has precisely the same liner as the one in your picture).

The 1983 Dobbs has a sticker saying $60.00; the much earlier and better one was $17.50.

Dobbs hats are now pretty much my favorite American vintage hat: they're seriously stylish.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Your hat is fairly new . I'd say 1980's ,not earlier . If the price is right and you like it , go for it .

Steven
Bencraft Hats

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Thanks

Strider said:
I'm sure if you bring it flowers, and be real nice to it, it will go on a date with you. :p

Finally! Advice I can use! lol

Seriously, though. You guys have provided me with the questions I need to ask to judge the age, so thank you. I suspect it's a newer hat, but if it turns out to have details that peg it as 60's I might be willing to pay a little more. Either way, I like it, and it will be the closest I've gotten to a stingy brim.
NB

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
I've noticed...

The size tag is consistent with ones I've seen on more modern Dobbs and other Hatco brands of the '80s, and even into the '90s.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Just my luck!

Before I could learn more about the Dobbs, I got a rather nasty cold. I was so out of it, I forgot about the hat! :( I don't think it sold, but I'm not so sure I'll be able to get it. Either way, though, you guys were helpful. Thanks,
NB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou