Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Dating a Peacoat Given a Contract Number

slackademic

New in Town
Hello all,

I've purchased a peacoat on eBay for my father as a Christmas present and am waiting for it to arrive in the next few days. Unfortunately, the seller did not post a lot of information nor did they post many pictures of the coat (no picture of the tag either unfortunately). It was a good price with expedited shipping and I jumped on it after they emailed me a contract number from the tag. It is is DSA-1-1172-63-C. Would anyone out there know approximately when the coat was issued given given that contract number?

Thanks for any help and Merry Christmas!

Cooperson

One Too Many
Mr Peacoat would give the definitive answer, but I'll take a guess that the number -63-C on your tag indicates 1963.

Last edited:

slackademic

New in Town
Thanks Cooperson. I appreciate it.

The tag inside is also titled "U.S. Navy" like the 1965 tag on Mr. Peacoat's "Peacoat Dating" thread, according to the seller.

Peacoat

Bartender
Mr. Cooperson, you have studied well. Yes, Slackademic those tags were in use from about 1958 until 1965, so the date given by Cooperson is correct and is consistent with the tag type.

And, welcome to the Lounge.

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
Mr. Cooperson, you have studied well. Yes, Slackademic those tags were in use from about 1958 until 1965, so the date given by Cooperson is correct and is consistent with the tag type.

And, welcome to the Lounge.

Hello Mr. Peacoat,
How are you? I could be wrong but I think I saw a coat on ebay with a "US Navy" tag and the year was 1956. The last number was "-56". I have never seen a1955 tag, nor a 1957 tag. I do have a '58 with the "US Navy" tag. Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents here.

Peacoat

Bartender
Interesting. Can you get a link? I would have to see the entire tag to know if that was the year identifier number. Or if you had the lines of numbers, that would be helpful. I don't like looking on ebay for pea coats this time of the year beause of all of the junk for sale. By junk I mean non pea coats, civilian "pea coats" and everything else sellers label as pea coats hoping for a sale to the unwary.

The Navy/Contractors were not always 100% consistent with use of the "proper" tag on the pea coats. It makes the life of a researcher much more difficult. If I had been around back then to tell them how to do it, they would have done it right for the ease of future students of those great old coats.

Peacoat

Bartender
Hello Mr. Peacoat,
How are you? I could be wrong but I think I saw a coat on ebay with a "US Navy" tag and the year was 1956. The last number was "-56". I have never seen a1955 tag, nor a 1957 tag. I do have a '58 with the "US Navy" tag. Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents here.

If what you saw ended in " . . . . -C-56" then that was probably a 1956 US NAVY tag. I just went back and looked at my comments on that style of tag. What I said was, "In 1958 (or perhaps a year or two earlier) the style changed to simply “US NAVY,” which was in use until 1965. [Emphasis added] So, I accounted for that possibility in the original article. Now we know there were US NAVY tags in existence in 1956, if your memory is correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart