Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Dating a Stetson (Ms Knox declined)

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
I just purchased a older Stetson "dress Western" ??? In a "Manly 7 & 5/8's" And was hoping someone could HELP me determine the age (My guess is early 60's) and if possible the name of the model.
It has a 3" Brim and is Sage Color. Nothing under the sweat band

This is a general shot

the lining

the stamp 3x

Click any thumbnail for a better view.

This will most likely end up a a wide brimed Fedora.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I look at this and you know what I see?

pict0033wq9.jpg

dean

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Visions of Campain Hats danced in his Head

deanglen said:
I look at this and you know what I see?

pict0033wq9.jpg

dean

Well. anything is possible. It came from a Ranch estate sale on the Flathead Indian Reservation near Kalispell Montana

carter

I'll Lock Up
tinmanzzz,

That's just my size. :) Since I'm right down the road from the Stetson manufacturer, just send it over and I'll take it in for dating, etc. You should have in back in say...1-2 years. :D

You might want to send these photos to HATCO on the Lounge. He may be able to help you.

Nice hat. :eusa_clap

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Sorry to hear Ms. Knox declined, hopefully Ms. Stetson will be a good date.
I'd say just bring 'er home before midnight so you don't make Mr. Stetson angry.
:p

Anyways, I'm no expert but it's giving me 1930s vibes. Maybe it's the bash (though the liner seems newer, perhaps 1960s like you said).

dostacos

Practically Family
tinmanzzz said:
I just purchased a older Stetson "dress Western" ??? In a "Manly 7 & 5/8's" And was hoping someone could HELP me determine the age (My guess is early 60's) and if possible the name of the model.
It has a 3" Brim and is Sage Color. Nothing under the sweat band

This is a general shot

the lining

the stamp 3x

Click any thumbnail for a better view.

This will most likely end up a a wide brimed Fedora.
well I am married and don't date outside my species but since it is a reasonable size and such a raunchy hat please send it to me for a proper disposal, ok I might take it out for dinner and drinks once or twice lol

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
The leather sweatband is worn, but I'm not sure it's old, necessarily (older than the 60's, that is). I have a photo of a 1965 OR with the same 3X Beaver stamp on the sweatband. With regard to the liner, I have always associated that particular liner with 70's hats, but I don't know when it was first introduced. The other clue is the size tag. It's not clear to me when Stetson first started using the rectangular black tag (as opposed to the various circular tags), but I have generally associated that kind of tag with the 60's and beyond.

Either way, tinmanzzz, it's a good looking hat! I love the sage color. :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Thanks

To me it looks like a County police hat without holes...
I love W-I-D-E Brims(anything under 2 1/2 is a Stingy) and think this will be a great addition to my collection.
Also, finding older hats in 5/8's is very hard.

:) :) :)

fatwoul

Practically Family
It's nice to be back in a position to read this forum. :D

I love the colour of this hat, so I really hope that is accurate in the pictures.

TBH I quite like the shape right now too. I'm not even that keen on bound brims, but this one looks nice.

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
fatwoul said:
It's nice to be back in a position to read this forum. :D

I love the colour of this hat, so I really hope that is accurate in the pictures.

TBH I quite like the shape right now too. I'm not even that keen on bound brims, but this one looks nice.

The color is a Gray with a "Greenish Brown" cast and depending on the lighting, it changes shades. A very nice change from Black and Silverbelly.
Also, the binding on the brim seems to fit it.:D :D :D
Thanks for the comment.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran