Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help find G1 or A2

dbrauns

New in Town
Hey guys, currently in the market for a new jacket. The one I really love is a Saint Laurent but it's $5k which is silly on numerous accounts. I just love the look of the jacket. I'm sure I can find something as good if not better for a fraction of the money. Was considering going the route of Real McCoys or The Few. Another option is a Schott G1. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached is a pic of the Saint Laurent btw.

Attachments

• sl g1.jpg
    sl g1.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 838
There's nothing that makes that jacket worth nearly $5k.
Lots of good makers can get you in one custom for less than 1/4 of that price.
Aero, GW, ELC, LW all can make a jacket similar in style. Some of them won't make the exact model as it's based on a mil repop and they do exacting repops. Do some searching, there's a ton of real options and they're likely even 400% better jackets at 25% of the cost.

heron163

One of the Regulars
you came to the right place... any of the offerings from Aero leather, Eastman, or Lost worlds will blow that example away...

ETA: oops - Mr. Butte beat me to it...

nick123

I'll Lock Up
That teddy bear collar on that jacket looks very Irvin-like. Has anyone tried using that in lieu of a regular G-1 collar? That would be interesting.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
You will certainly be able to find a nice G-1 or A-2 for a price well south of five grand. Original B and C series G-1s regularly appear on eBay. Depending on size, their prices range from two to four hundred bucks.

Ralph_Phillips

One of the Regulars
Hey guys, currently in the market for a new jacket. The one I really love is a Saint Laurent but it's $5k which is silly on numerous accounts. I just love the look of the jacket. I'm sure I can find something as good if not better for a fraction of the money. Was considering going the route of Real McCoys or The Few. Another option is a Schott G1. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached is a pic of the Saint Laurent btw.

At that price, it must have been made out of martyred St. Laurent's actual skin.

Deacon211

One Too Many
I'd suggest looking at the thread of Thor's new Willis and Geiger M-422a made be Steve S. A beautiful repro for about $800.

Or look at the recent thread by me about my Cooper G-1. About $250 and a great, if utilitarian jacket.

I'm not sure who St Laurent is (as a company) but the very best repros that you can find out about around here don't come in at half that jacket and are infinitely more accurate.

dbrauns

New in Town
I'm not necessarily looking for an accurate repro though. I did try the SLP jacket on and I really like the collar and the slim fit. I was thinking to go with a Japanese company since they're usually cut a little more slim and short which would fit my body type a little better. I'm 5'6 and sleeves are always an issue.

I'm fully aware that jacket isn't worth anywhere near $5k though. You're definitely paying for the name there. The leather didn't even feel that great.

CBI

One Too Many
Based on what you are looking at, I would go for an original G-1 on eBay for $200-$400. They look the part........since they are. Loads of options. <any super repro options well within reason compared to 5K but really no need to spend a lot on a G-1 repro with so many originals out there.

AdeeC

Practically Family
I'm not necessarily looking for an accurate repro though. I did try the SLP jacket on and I really like the collar and the slim fit. I was thinking to go with a Japanese company since they're usually cut a little more slim and short which would fit my body type a little better. I'm 5'6 and sleeves are always an issue.

I'm fully aware that jacket isn't worth anywhere near $5k though. You're definitely paying for the name there. The leather didn't even feel that great.
The Japanese jackets are off the rack sizes I believe. May work for you or not but someone like Steve S will make one to your preferred measurements for a much better price and he has some top class goat and mouton.

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many

Well, that definitely would make a difference. Still, as others have said, RM is out there, Goodwear has beautiful leather, I've heard great things of Aero, and Steve S has a great and growing rep for some custom work.

You might also look at the Eastman civilian flying jacket Charles posted in another thread here. Nice big luxurious collar and very characterful leather in my experience.

In any case, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find just what you were looking for for under $2k and I'd surmise that the leather is at least as good.

Welcome and good luck on your search! There's a wealth of knowledge on this board (me excepted of course ;) )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eugenesque

One of the Regulars

May I ask which Japanese company are you going with?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I'd go with that Real McCoy ANJ-3 in horsehide they are currently offering. Or you could be the star of the Lounge for a week or two by getting this and making everyone jealous:
http://realmccoysnyc.com/products/type-a-1-seal-brown-mj13001-050?variant=1066817579

But don't overlook Steve's creations. And check out NorShor leather. http://norshorleather.wix.com/norshorleather1
He might be able to do a naval jacket. You wouldn't be overpaying!

Eastman Air Comfort would be superb. That one has always been one of my dream jackets.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There are quite a few off the rack Japanese G-1 repros. If you like horsehide, there are ANJ-3s from Real McCoy's and Toys McCoy. Depending on your size, you may even find some NOS the Few. There are lots more choices if you go for the goatskin, for example Pherrow's, Buzz, Colimbo etc.

A couple of special and new releases ANJ-3A are available. There is the new Buzz Rickson's ANJ-3A goatskin in olive and the Colimbo special horsehide ANJ-3A.
http://barnstormer.eshizuoka.jp/e1581174.html
http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/rodeobros/br80417.html

Last edited:

dbrauns

New in Town
This one I'm loving from Real McCoys London. My only concern is the one on the nyc store looks much different.

This is the one on the NYC site.

trm_an-j3a_small_ba562a16-c720-46f5-9e89-ef25315ac370_1024x1024.png

This is the london version.
superdenimthe_real_mccoys_17151120img_0047.jpg

Deacon211

One Too Many
i don't see this one on the Eastman website.

205943553078069847_538b9d37d79c.jpg

That's the M-422A from ELC. There have been a few subtle changes over the years. If you look on the History Preservation Associates Affiliate thread, there's some pics in there of the latest model so you know what you're getting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana