Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Finding a Cafe Racer

I do thank that much of the serious Schott love comes from across the pond. At least most of the hardcore defense of the brand. I've had Schott MC jackets (of one kind or other) since the '60s. I must say that their hides could be a hit or miss prospect over the years. The leather certainly could have a 'plastic-like' lifeless finish and sometimes with loose fraying liner threads (especially on a quilted lining). However, during some better years the hide seemed more substantial as most would think a Perfecto or MC style jacket should be. I also think they have generally upped their game after the fiber- backed fiasco of a few years ago. Along with sizing customization (as they now claim), though mostly not advertised, they have been most often considered a mass produced off the rack MC jacket, yet other brands often offer more MC dedicated features (such as longer sleeves, and construction for better reach, among other additions. Their occasional 'special' or 'Restoration' jacket or custom sizing brings the price of Schotts up into the premium jacket realm (nothing wrong with that...these do better compare with premium brands, IMO). I've been hesitant about making this post of some of my experiences with Schott since a few Schott fans seem so easily extremely upset. Yet..they are what they are. The quality can be there, but hasn't always been consistent from my point of view.
HD

Last edited:
0075b93987ab60c04bd89b415a8ffdf5.jpg

Great fit...!!
HD

plainsman

Familiar Face
I do thank that much of the serious Schott love comes from across the pond. At least most of the hardcore defense of the brand. I've had Schott MC jackets (of one kind or other) since the '60s. I must say that their hides could be a hit or miss prospect over the years. The leather certainly could have a 'plastic-like' lifeless finish and sometimes with loose fraying liner threads (especially on a quilted lining). However, during some better years the hide seemed more substantial as most would think a Perfecto or MC style jacket should be. I also think they have generally upped their game after the fiber- backed fiasco of a few years ago. Along with sizing customization (as they now claim), though mostly not advertised, they have been most often considered a mass produced off the rack MC jacket, yet other brands often offer more MC dedicated features (such as longer sleeves, and construction for better reach, among other additions. Their occasional 'special' or 'Restoration' jacket or custom sizing brings the price of Schotts up into the premium jacket realm (nothing wrong with that...these do better compare with premium brands, IMO). I've been hesitant about making this post of some of my experiences with Schott since a few Schott fans seem so easily extremely upset. Yet..they are what they are. The quality can be there, but hasn't always been consistent from my point of view.
HD
Wise comment, in my opinion. Also, Schott product range goes from medium to high quality, with a focus on utility, while Aero and other makers are purely high quality with some customization and a focus on looking nice. They are not for the same use.

BobJ

Practically Family
Hey Greg, would you consider one of these? I know they're different, but they're kinda like the ORIGINAL café racer - from the 1930s. You can get one in horsehide, cowhide or sheepskin, and in a whole palette of colors. Just an idea, not for everyone, but it keeps tickling the back of my mind. I was thinking of Dark Seal or British Racing Green sheepskin. I also like the little notch in the back of the collar.

UVR%20Mk2%20-jak-6_2.png

GregO

One of the Regulars
Thanks for your input, everyone.

I'm leaning toward Thedi at this point. I'll contact them shortly and see what the process looks like.

Anyone know what their hides look like? Weight? how they are finished and tanned? Etc...?

pawineguy

One Too Many
Among other offerings, I know he has a cowhide which appears to be what you would call "naked" cowhide, very matte finish, gives it a rustic look that works very well with his designs. He also has the Italian veg tanned horsehide which Thurston specifies. The HH is more or less in the 2.75 - 3.0 oz range, and is very easily broken in, not stiff in any way. If it has a top coat it's very subtle. Finally, he's got some cool looking Buffalo on the site that I'd love to know more about.

Jägernaut

Practically Family
Im digging the Himel Pinecrest Flattrack Racing Jacket. In steerhide, the new price will be $1250.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner