Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help fixing vintage Minolta Cameras

Kathleen'sMeg43

New in Town
Hi!

I've fluttered around from board to board, and I can't figure out which one to post this question in. So if this is wrong, admins please move it. :D

I have two vintage Minolta cameras an xg-1 and an x- 700.

Both have the same problem. For some reason the advance lever won't advance the film, and subsequently the shutter won't open.

Is there anyone that knows what is causing this problem? Or do you have a reputable person I can send it to, to get it fixed?

Thanks in advance!

Meg

jyc

New in Town
Both those cameras have electronic shutters and will not operate without good batteries. So are your batteries fresh?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
On many mechanical SLRs, you have to somehow manually re-engage the advance/takeup function after it's been disengaged to rewind the previous roll. I don't know about Minoltas (I'm a Nikon and Olympus guy), but there may be a button or lever you have to move to reconnect the advance mechanism. Check the detailed info on the X-700 at the bottom of this page:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/minoltax700/index.htm

Re the XG-1:

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Minolta_XG_series

You can always post this question on somewhere like photo.net - there's a vast amount of photography info out there, and in my experience (my parents were pros, I've been around serious photographers for my whole life), photographers are the nicest people: they are always happy to help folks with questions.

PS - I am old enough that cameras from the 70s/80s don't seem "vintage" to me!

Last edited:

Kathleen'sMeg43

New in Town
Actually, I went to radio shack to get batteries yesterday and the man told me that it only operated a light, which is why I'm here. lol!! But I'll give the batteries a try before taking any other action

PS - I am old enough that cameras from the 70s/80s don't seem "vintage" to me!

Haha, well these are my dad's cameras and he said the exact same thing. :D But I suppose I go by etsy's rule of vintage, which is 20 years old and older. (which makes ME vintage as well at 21 lol!!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy