Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! from the smartest folks I know

Jake Sullivan

One of the Regulars
I hate to admit that I have been away for a few months from the most intelligent people I have ever met, but I have been in college. I have an excellent GPA, work experience in critical health care and for the life of me I have no idea what to do when I finish in late December. My major is Healthcare Management and I have worked in a hospital since I was 18. I thought college was better for me and my family, which I believe it is, but no one has any thoughts on how to define yourself in management.

You folks are my only hope. Please do not jest, I respect your intelligence and candor, I am simply lost, but not insane (yet). I have 4 months til I have to make a decision, for those of you who have advice I will readily accept it.
To my friends in the lounge thank you

Not Crazy yet,
Jake

ronin

New in Town
My daughter is in school with a similar major.

My advice to her? Once you graduate, go to Europe for a month, then get a job in the field of healthcare administration.

Work for a full year, or better, two. Save all your money during that time.

After that time, you'll have a better idea of what you want to do when you grow up. Which means you probably want to go to grad school (MS in healthcare admin/mgt, or MBA), or go to another field entirely.

If you go to grad school, go to Europe again for a few weeks before starting. If you find you hate the field, figure out something else, and start moving toward it quickly, because you no longer have infinite time.

The main point about getting a job in your field right away is that you can start saving money, pay off any loan debt, and see what being an independent grown up is all about.

You will be poised to make money right now, rather than like many of your peers continue going to undergrad school for 6 or 7 years and working at Starbucks.

Consequently, the suggestion is to get out of the kid job mode as quickly as possible (you can always go back if that's your thing). It will position you better for whatever you choose next.

The goal is to take full advantage of the freedom of youth, but not getting caught up in a pattern that will not serve you well in the future. Believe me, once you are in your thirties you will not be happy you waited tables part time for the last 8 years, and didn't use your degree. It will be a lot harder to get a job and start saving for a family at that point.

There's another side... the earlier you can get established and save the earlier on the other end you can get out of the rat race on the other side, and re-enjoy the freedom it offers.

There is nothing magical about having money. It's just that, it gives you a lot more options...

nulty

One of the Regulars
Jake Sullivan said:
but no one has any thoughts on how to define yourself in management.
Not Crazy yet,
Jake

This is an important question to ask yourself in the beginning. Many administrative management jobs are redundant. It's not easy to see your contributions and know where your headed.

If a career is what you aspire to then the best thing is to jump in and swim. Get your hands dirty, learn as much as you can and gain experience. Learn from those around you who have been in the field longer. Find out why they've been in the field longer and avoid paths that seem wrong to you....

The world is your oyster in the Healthcare field. Jobs galore and your in a good position at a good time for a career path .

Most of all take time to enjoy life......

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Everything Ronin said is great advice ... I did some of the opposites and now regret it. I have a degree in Education, but, being disillusioned by the system, proceeded to not teach at all. Part of me is still regretting that 6 years later.

I say do whatever you can to work in your field for a few years ... you'll make good money and set yourself into a better position should you decide it isn't for you a few years down the road.

Jake Sullivan

One of the Regulars
Thank you from JAKE

:eusa_clap
BegintheBeguine said:
Hospital Administration. You will be good at this and a guy with a good head on his shoulders is sorely needed. It pays well, you will love it, and you already know something about it. Glad to see you back, Jake.
Ashley

I appreciate the compliment Ashley.

I would like to say thanks you to all for the advice, I needed a few days to get my head together. I have recently been given a lead on a program managers position in southern IL, we will see what happens.

Thank you all so much for listening and giving me a boost. You are truly all class acts and I will be checking in frequently now that I am in my final push toward graduation. :eusa_clap

Be safe and try to stay cool the dog days of summer are nearly over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner