Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help I think I ruined my Aero Premiere Half Belt

It is much more efficient/cheaper for any company to buy lots of positive reviews, which they do.
Yeah and I can’t see Penzoil or whoever giving a two bit company (you know what) about this. Sad as it may be. The chances of hearing back from them…there are likely none.

I am very glad that I saw this set of photos of yours.
Finally, I realized what seemed wrong to me for Thedi's leathers and in many other cases.
But for homework, this is a great result.
Thanks! I certainly would not put that jacket in the Thedi class! His work is far, far, FAR better. I’m just a schlub with too much dye and free time. But I do believe if you are fearless in your approach and, you learn from what you do, you can achieve some very nice results.

Darrell2688

A-List Customer
It is much more efficient/cheaper for any company to buy lots of positive reviews, which they do.
Oh yes, I agree with that statement. Last year I purchased something off of an online store and the product was a waste of my time and money, so I posted a negative review, they were not happy with the review, so they contacted me through emails asking me to change my review offering me money, I wouldn't change my review and then they offered to give me the same product at a third of the cost. I did not change my review; they got their junk back and I received a total refund.
The more I look at it….I think cordo dye is the answer. You need to achieve what I call mottled fruit. I did this with my 5 Star. You can see how it progressed. With this dye you will have natural variation in the color spectrum. From light to dark, tan to brown to cherry.
From start to finish. Granted my jacket didn’t have any oil stain but I believe this could effectively camouflage it. I can also walk you through this process if you’d rather do it yourself. View attachment 403867 View attachment 403869 View attachment 403868 View attachment 403866
^Those very dark spots are shadows
In controlled light:
View attachment 403870
The key would be blending those heavy dark spots. I think it can be done. Never perfect but damn near. And perhaps only noticeable to you b/c you k ow it there.
Actually, I liked the second version the best, a light tan, almost a natural color, of course the darker colors will work better with the oil stains.

Sorry to see this.

If it were my jacket, I'd send it to Tony.

Worth a try. Couldn't hurt. Might end up good as new!
Better! I have to say I’d love to take this on. This is all I have left in this hobby. Make something broken or old new again! There’s just not much left in buying/selling/collecting jackets that provides much entertainment anymore. A good project is where it’s at!

Darrell2688

A-List Customer
Better! I have to say I’d love to take this on. This is all I have left in this hobby. Make something broken or old new again! There’s just not much left in buying/selling/collecting jackets that provides much entertainment anymore. A good project is where it’s at!
I will second that idea, send the jacket to Toni, he is willing to take on this challenge and when you're working with leather you have to have some idea what to expect when you do something as simple as applying oil to the leather. When I first started working with leather, I applied Neatsfoot oil to the leather to many times and the leather soaked up the oil until it became saturated, then I had to work on removing some oil in order to make the leather useful. In short, send it to Toni, from the photos that he posted, he knows what to do with your jacket. What are your other options? With Toni you could get your leather jacket fixed and be able to wear it, without the motor oil smell.

Darrell2688

A-List Customer
There is another option, buy some MILSEK Leather and Vinyl Cleaner and Conditioner, you can buy this at Ace Hardware or from their website. It will clean the leather and condition the leather; it does have some oil in, so if you have tried the Dawn dish washing soap and you haven't got the result that you want, wash it again with the Dawn, rinse the soap out. Hang the jacket up and let it air dry. If the Dawn hasn't removed any more of the oil stain, Check out the MILSEK, you can get this product from Amazon, Walmart, Ace Hardwar and the MILSEK web site.
Let us know how you are doing with the jacket.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Maybe mentioned already. Did you try Lexol leather cleaner? I doubt you can go back to normal, but you should be able to make a dent. Then maybe with some "oil" (coconut oil will darken) conditioning around the area, you can bring up the color kind of on a gradient so it's not so noticeable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran