Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Identify This Army Jacket

eniksleestack

One of the Regulars
Hello all,

Wondering if anyone can help identify/ date this army jacket. I'd guess Vietnam War era tanker jacket of some sort. It's pretty beat up and missing any tags it might have had. The "Gripper" Scovil zipper pull is not one I've seen on any Vietnam era jacket before, so maybe it's older than I think.

tanker1.jpg

tanker2.jpg

tanker3.jpg

tanker4.jpg

tanker5.jpg

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Peacoat

Bartender
I have one just like it, except that mine has a Talon zipper. It isn't Army, but is a Navy work jacket. They may have called it a dungaree jacket. The actual name, as showing on the tag, is "Jacket, Cold Weather (Permeable, A-2)" Mine is a 1974 model. As the name implies, they are very warm jackets. They are warmer than the Army field jackets (with the liner installed), and they are not as bulky.

They were in use in the Vietnam era. A buddy of mine had one I liked so much that he found one and gave it to me a couple of years ago. He went in the Navy in April, 1965 and his cold weather jacket was issued to him shortly thereafter. He also gave me his original issue 1965 peacoat.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
USN Issue

Mine is USN as well. I have two of them, one green and one blue. They were issued to me in the late 90's. However, I don't think they issue them anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael